how are these pickups?

I have an opportunity to get some through a washburn guitar, and then swap them with the epiphone les paul custom I'm looking to get.

Plus I've heard this is a "PAF" style pickup, which I've heard a lot about, so if someone could explain that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Last edited by acdclandon at Mar 12, 2009,
probably sounds like any 70s/80s hard rock/blues rock sound you've heard, for the most part. i haven't personally played those, but i imagine they sound rather great, being more of a standard on mid to high level gibsons. i believe most of Angus's SGs use those, since he perfers the stock SGs, and his tone is rather desirable, albeit a simple one.

i'd go for it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
probably sounds like any 70s/80s hard rock/blues rock sound you've heard, for the most part. i haven't personally played those, but i imagine they sound rather great, being more of a standard on mid to high level gibsons. i believe most of Angus's SGs use those, since he perfers the stock SGs, and his tone is rather desirable, albeit a simple one.

i'd go for it.

hmm thats pretty cool, do you think I could use them for other things well?

I'm looking for something like Mark Tremonti, plus some older classic sounds, and maybe a little metal in this guitar.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Pickups don't make a huge difference to your tone. You have a JCM900, that should get you some metal tones easy.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Oh and TS. I've seen you around and I resent your title. I've forgotten more about grunge than what anyone on this forum knows.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by acdclandon
how are these pickups?

I have an oppurtunity to get some through a washburn guitar, and then swap them with the epiphone les paul custom I'm looking to get.

Plus I've heard this is a "PAF" style pickup, which I've heard a lot about, so if someone could explain that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A PAF pickup is the first generation Gibson humbucker, used from 1957 to 1964.

These are the pickups that made the Les Paul, ES 335 and SG become famous guitars.

They are great pickups for blues, classic rock, jazz, etc. Good for low to medium/high gain, not so great for metal.

I own a guitar with 57s in it ( ES 339) and it works very well for mid/late '60s blues rock to mid/late 70s classic rock.

They are Gibson's best modern pickups, and I would only change them for real PAFs, and nothing else.

Remember, 57s and burstbuckers are PAF replicas.

57s are mellow and warm, while Burstbuckers are brighter and more agressive.

I recommend the 57s for classic rock, but if you play heavier music, ie: grunge, metal; you'd probably want a hotter set of pickups.
Quote by shadow__666
Pickups don't make a huge difference to your tone. You have a JCM900, that should get you some metal tones easy.

alright, I've heard that before.

Quote by shadow__666
Oh and TS. I've seen you around and I resent your title. I've forgotten more about grunge than what anyone on this forum knows.

..?
i'm not getting that, you like grunge and nobody knows about it?
if so, yeah i know what you mean, its much more than just Nirvana as well.

Quote by Mike!
A PAF pickup is the first generation Gibson humbucker, used from 1957 to 1964.

These are the pickups that made the Les Paul, ES 335 and SG become famous guitars.

They are great pickups for blues, classic rock, jazz, etc. Good for low to medium/high gain, not so great for metal.

I own a guitar with 57s in it ( ES 339) and it works very well for mid/late '60s blues rock to mid/late 70s classic rock.

They are Gibson's best modern pickups, and I would only change them for real PAFs, and nothing else.

Remember, 57s and burstbuckers are PAF replicas.

57s are mellow and warm, while Burstbuckers are brighter and more agressive.

I recommend the 57s for classic rock, but if you play heavier music, ie: grunge, metal; you'd probably want a hotter set of pickups.

ah okay i see.

I read that Adam Jones of Tool actually uses some kind of PAF, and he still pulls off a pretty brootal tone?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I spend too much time in my room listening to old late 80s and underground 90s grunge records. Ignore me, I'm being a wanker.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I spend too much time in my room listening to old late 80s and underground 90s grunge records. Ignore me, I'm being a wanker.

haha, mother love bone, mudhoney, green river?

nice man, good to see it.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Like shadow said, the most important factor is the amp, and yours will do those styles just fine with pretty much any guitar and any set of pups.
That being said, most Epiphone pickups are garbage - like really, the most awful things I have ever heard. So if you can get those '57 pups, that'd definitely be an improvement.
If you can get them for cheap, they're worth it.

They're one of Gibson's current top-of-the-line models, the only thing comparable (and maybe slightly better - that's a matter of taste though) are Burstbuckers. So, those are pretty nice pups.

Don't worry about higher gain sounds - it'll all sound just fine.
Quote by TheQuailman
Like shadow said, the most important factor is the amp, and yours will do those styles just fine with pretty much any guitar and any set of pups.
That being said, most Epiphone pickups are garbage - like really, the most awful things I have ever heard. So if you can get those '57 pups, that'd definitely be an improvement.
If you can get them for cheap, they're worth it.

They're one of Gibson's current top-of-the-line models, the only thing comparable (and maybe slightly better - that's a matter of taste though) are Burstbuckers. So, those are pretty nice pups.

Don't worry about higher gain sounds - it'll all sound just fine.

Whats that? I think I just heard a nail being hit into a coffin.

I'm pretty set on getting these, now I just have to figure out how good the washburn guitar is, i'll stick the epi stocks on it btw.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by shadow__666

Pickups make a HUGE difference in your tone. Even through a crappy amp, pickups can change your tone dramatically. I don't know where this whole "pickups don't change your tone" thing started, it's not that they don't change your tone, it's just that you shouldn't waste your money on new pickups when your amp sucks balls. Anyone who is familiar with the tone can hear a set of PAFs, whether it's through a Fender twin or a Marshall plexi. If that isn't a huge effect on your tone, I don't know what is.

The '57 classics are pretty good, I don't like them quite as much as the Burstbucker I and II set though. The BBs are more open sounding, brighter and a bit more grind.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by acdclandon
haha, mother love bone, mudhoney, green river?

nice man, good to see it.

And Tad, Skin Yard, the Gits, 7 Year B*tch, the Flood, L7, Babes In Toyland...
Quote by Cathbard
OK, maybe I should rephrase.

Bad pickups (i.e. a lot of stock Epis, Dimebuckers et al) will make a difference to your tone, but if you get a good set and replace them with another good, similar set, they won't affect that much.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
OK, maybe I should rephrase.

Bad pickups (i.e. a lot of stock Epis, Dimebuckers et al) will make a difference to your tone, but if you get a good set and replace them with another good, similar set, they won't affect that much.

No. I still disagree, I've had many sets of good pickups in my guitars and I still switch them out. My WCR Fillmores sound completely different from the Seth Lover set that I had in there which sounded different from the Duncan '59 set I had in there. All 3 of these are PAF style pickups (sort of, the Fillmores are not really PAFs). And you can tell a difference between each of them. Regardless, go listen to the pickup comparison thread on the MyLesPaul forum which compares a bunch of different PAF style pickups, same guitar same settings, they ALL sound different.

And even still, he's switching from stock Epis to '57 classics. That will be a huge difference as well.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 12, 2009,
True.
Quote by Cathbard
I took a serious look at these pups and eventually bought 1 and I bought the Angus Sig for the bridge as I wanted a High-Output while keeping a PAF tone. They're both amazing pickups and would be a major improvement over stock epis. The Angus sig can really nail those early Van Halen tones and just about anything from that era. I recommend them both as they're pretty awesome.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
I've tried the Angus sig before, imo it's alright it's just way too hot to really get that Angus bite. It might do VH well, but imo something that is wound too hot really has a tough time getting the high end grind of a low output humbucker. In that sense I still prefer the lower output '57 classics and Burstbuckers.