Hey guys. So I've been tuned to Drop C for a while, enjoying playing some good metal, until I decided to tune up to Drop D to play some hardcore. Now, I had some tuning issues when I was in Drop C, but it was usually going sharp, probably from being in my cold room.

Now as I try to tune to Drop D, my sixth string detunes like two whole steps by time I get to tuning my first string to e, along with all the other strings at least down half a step or more. So wtf? BTW I'm using Ernie Ball Power Slinkies on an RG120... it has a tremolo too.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
uhhh does it have a floyd style trem? that is probably why
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Where the sixth string has to "stretch" back to the tension from drop C to drop D, your string will detune the first few times you tune it. Just keep tuning it till it is at its correct tone and stays there. Happens to me all the time.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
you do realize you have to block it to make major tuning changes like that right?
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
yep, The tremelo bridge is the problem.
those things will do that. They're so annoying, and hard to work with. I hate them.
Tune-o-Matic ftw.
No I didn't and that's why I hate having a trem sometimes
That's why I'm hear so I can learn this stuff but there's still a lot of general guitar stuff I don't know and I don't know how to learn it :/
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

Sorry for double.

Also, what kinda damage can this do to my guitar? I'm still trying to tune it, and now the tremolo has now raised all the way it can...
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

that's fine. you're going to need to flip the guitar over and adjust the springs in the trem cavity.

totally normal.

check out the floyd setup thread top of the page.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Wait so it's considered FR even if it's not locking or anything?
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

oh sorry, i didnt look up your model. i thought you said is was a floyd.

if it's a locking nut type the the floyd thread. if not then the standard thread, either way you gotta add springs and level the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Wow O.O
What can I do to avoid this next time? Thanks.
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

if the guitar falls out of tune, and the bridge lifts all you have to do is flip it over and add and adjust the springs in the back.

if the springs pull that strings enough your guitar will stay in tune better.

like the other dude was saying, you can even wedge a little block of wood in there to stop the bridge from movingat all.

but honestly, if you put in enough springs you should have a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So more tension from springs= better tuning stability?

Where do I get springs?
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

trem cavity springs. any online store and some music stores
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

K Damn :/
If I down tune it again, after I get it to stay in D, I gotta block the trem again?
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

in your case, all you should need to do is keep the bridge tight.

max out the springs.

and dont use the trem much. it's not really a trem guitar, tbh.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well what does a floating trem do that other's don't? I'm really confused right now, I have a Fat 10 trem I guess, and I have no idea what to do...
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*

Could be a few problems:

1. Tremolo, as stated, tighten the springs in the back, add more springs, etc. It's been mentioned already.

2. Replace the nut for a graphite nut. Sometimes I'll find guitar will go in tune easily, then as soon as you start playing they will fall out of tune again. The nut is supposed to allow the strings to slide freely without any restriction. For instance, you tune the guitar to D, you play a bend and the string is pulled through the nut slightly, and doesn't slide back though. There will be less tension on this string causing a lower tone.

3. Crap tuners. Most cheap guitars are going to have rather poor tuners, big factor in tuning stability. If you have to replace these, you might as well save up for a new guitar.

4. String winding. If you don't have the string wrapped around the post in an orderly manner, or using the wierd string-knot-tying technique thing, your strings will be tightening over top of one another allowing the string to move despite it being tied down.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think you guys are on the right track but its a standard trem not a floyd, I know Im an ibanez guy
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Even standard trems may raise up if the tension is raised. Going from low tension of drop C to a higher tension of drop D could be the difference.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Even standard trems may raise up if the tension is raised. Going from low tension of drop C to a higher tension of drop D could be the difference.

I realize that I was just clearing up any cofusion for anyone looking at the thread or the TS
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Ah cool deal. Just making sure.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah, it's just a FAT 10 Tremolo, not a floyd rose, That's why I'm confused as what to do.
Quote by crazy8rgood

*fapfapfapfapfap*