Okay so I've purchased a relatively cheap acoustic guitar(a Montana Drednaught) from a local pawn shop a couple months ago (probably a bad idea on my part but w.e.) Now I've recently noticed something a little off when playing bar chords, the 8th and 9th fret on the high e play the exact same note Is it something wrong with the frets, or am I a complete idiot and not notice that the neck was warped. I just want to find out if there's a fix to my problem or if I should just scrap the guitar.

TL;DR: 8th and 9th frets on my high e play the same note.....a C#

Any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: It has never been out of standard tuning since I have got it
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Last edited by job153 at Mar 12, 2009,
How old are the strings? Does the 10 fret play D ok? Does 7th fret play B ok? Is the fret wire overly worn between the 8th & 9th?
Sounds like the ninth fret is much higher than the eighth. Even when you are fretting the eighth with your finger, the string is resting on the ninth, firmly enough not to buzz! A neck would have to have an extremely noticable backbow for that to happen. Probably just a high fret, but I wouldn't recommend trying to level it yourself. Take too much and suddenly every fret from there down will have to be filed down, too.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

thanks for the help guys. I'm going to change the strings again just to double check. If not ill definitely be taking it in to the local shop. Oh and to answer your question Free, yes they do play fine it is just the 8th and 9th frets.
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000