Hey there,

Just a quickie - One of my work buddies is currently getting guitar lessons, he doesn't have his own guitar though. Considering that he's a beginner, and that he will probably play a broad range of styles (mainly rock & alternative... Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica etc.) - What sort of axe would he be looking at? I have an Ibanez GRG170DX myself, but I doubt he'll go much heavier than Metallica.. so I'm not sure if something like this would be suitable.

Also factor in an amp - I have a Roland MicroCube, I assume that this works well with any elec. guitar
a squire strat with a humbucker in it would be pretty and relatively cheap for a starter guitar
a squire strat was my first guitar and it could play pretty nicely
I'd go with any medium grade epiphone since he isn't going too metal. They'll be pretty cheap and provide pretty decent quality. If you think he'll stick with it, go for something better.
i played like 5 strats
they are horrible
their necks are too small
and the7y are shoddy quality
Quote by satcre3
i played like 5 strats
they are horrible
their necks are too small
and the7y are shoddy quality

5 Strats? I'm sure that's quite a basis for an opinion of "they are shoddy quality". Play some more (MIA, CS if you want), then come back and talk.
Well, I say a squier strat, probably an HSS Affinity model.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.