Wasn't it a Gibson PAF humbucker Eddie put in his frankenstrat?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Wasn't it a Gibson PAF humbucker Eddie put in his frankenstrat?

It was so.
Simple....
The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 Model which was formally named the EVH (Evenly Voiced Harmonics) is a representation of the pickup as it was back in 1978 when VH1 came out, Seymour Duncan got his hands on it and was asked by Ed to replica it.
The new pickup, that one for sale in the link is the pickup that they put in the $25,000 Frankie replica apparently and is a representation of the Frankie pickup as it is today! This isn't my view on it, this is Seymour Duncan themselves stating this.
The one in the link is a normal, production run pickup where as the Custom Shop '78 model is a custom shop model of course, where you can choose between regular or trembucker spacing, single conductor or 4 wiring, what color bobbins and so on and its built to order and hand wound by Maricela Juarez the custom shop manager.
I have the '78 model, its f*cking amazing, worth the price, I could care less about any other pickup manufacturers claiming they have the VH tone in a pup.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 12, 2009,
Here's some more info on the two pups direct from Seymour Duncan.....

Seymour Duncan '78 Model
Magnet: Fully Charged Alnico 2
Wire: Plain Enamel
DCR: ~ 9.0K

EVH Frankenstein
Magnet: Degaussed Alnico 2
Wire: Poly
DCR: ~ 14K
Which girls are better in bed? Blondes, brunettes or redheads? Its all personal preference.
The EVH Frankenstein pup is $140 and a production floor model, for $20 more you got the '78 model which is a Custom Shop pup, hand wound by MJ who is awesome and built to your specs on order. You decide.

By those specs alone, '78 is of course VH1, VH2 era and the EVH Frankie pup is more Fair Warning, 1984 era.

Edit:

My only question is, what guitar you wanna put it into? Cause I first had the '78 in my alder bodied Focus 1000 and it was great but the pickup really came alive and sounded unreal when I put it into my poplar bodied Pacer Special. From what I heard the '78 sounds best in ash bodies so keep that in mind.
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by jackpotmoney
so which is the best?
the one in the link or the seymour?

imo, neither..

but ulimately its for u to decide whats best.

if i want evh's tone, slap pickups in the PAF camp into ur guitar and run it into a marshall plexi.

no marshall plexi, get a pedal that was designed for that plexi tone e.g general guitar gadgets BSIAB II, or carl martin plexitone or something..
Saying neither is wrong if you haven't played them, yes a PAF will get you close but the special thing about the '78 is its uneven coil windings. One has more windings then the other and its a scattered winding if I remember correctly also. Thats what gives it its characteristic sound.
He rewound the ES355 PAF in his guitar anyway, and wax potted it, so throwing a PAF in will not be nearly the same.

The degaussed magnets and hot winding will get you closest, which is the EVH frankenstein pickup.
Quote by ljohn
He rewound the ES355 PAF in his guitar anyway, and wax potted it, so throwing a PAF in will not be nearly the same.

THANK YOU for thinking the same thing i was.

That's like complete ground-up rebuilding, so a simple PAF pickup is not the answer.

However, TS, the most important part is the amp.
Quote by DSOTM80
Saying neither is wrong if you haven't played them, yes a PAF will get you close but the special thing about the '78 is its uneven coil windings. One has more windings then the other and its a scattered winding if I remember correctly also. Thats what gives it its characteristic sound.
Which is a poor argument since the famous PAF pickups of Gibson eras past were also wound unevenly. That's what made them popular in the first place, it was a lucky accident from the cheap manufacturing process.

It was never exclusive to EVH's guitars or the Seymour Duncan replica. There are plenty of companies that make humbuckers with unevenly wound coils.

What's more important is of course primarily your amp, and then simply the fact you are using a humbucker that has overwound and mismatched coils, but then as others have pointed out, potting the lil' bugger. The further tonal balance of the pickup is entirely irrelevant since that will be dictated by your guitar; what wood it's made from, what quality of wood it's made from, your pots, capacitors, etc etc. As such there is no single (or two, or three, or however many) pickup that is 'better' than another. There's a basic formula but the fine details depend on the rig as a whole, so trying to narrow it down to one or two specific pickups without also considering the structure of the rest of your rig is pointless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There is more to that pickup then just uneven coil windings but anyways I do agree with you that he'll hear it more in the amp but he never asked about that, just the pickup.
What do you wanna use it for? What kind of guitar?
Quote by jackpotmoney
So which one?
oh and i found the other link for seymour duncan one.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/humbuckers/78_model_great/

Degaussed magnets, 14k winding. The 'Frankenstein' pickup. As close to his rewound PAF that you are likely to get.

And you need to be pushing a good Marshall. Without that you are wasting your time trying to get a replica tone.

You'd honestly have to consider a Variac too.
For that money, I'd just go for a Bareknuckle, Suhr, or PRS pickup.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by jackpotmoney
So which one?

I already gave you all the information you should need. Just read above.
Quote by jackpotmoney
and what kind of marshall amp?

Do you have a budget?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by jackpotmoney

300 what?
Please, give us a currency. We're not mind readers.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
What? $300 USD is NOT 600 pounds
It was never double in that way, the pound used to be over double value of the dollar. 100 pounds used to equal a little over $200, now its reversing.
With $300 I'd look used but you won't find much. Mostly solid state amps. I wouldn't go spending $160 on that pickup for you on your budget. If you want a VH pup check out the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. Lots use it to VH tone and get really good results.
Yea, google.com and stop being lazy
I know the EVH Frankenstein pickup's DC Resitance is 14K, but does anyone know the Resonant Peak?

More imporantly, does anyone have any suggestions for a humbucker with lots of treble, but has decent output? I mostly play punk, so it doesn't have to have lots of output, but I play some metal too, so It needs to be decent.
^^SD Full Shred?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
you will never get the EVH tone without the right amp. Don't even bother, his sound was a variac'ed Marshall superlead turned to 10. Pickups are such a small part of the equation in the case of EVH's sound that you're better

Also, some folks at the Metroamp forum liked High Order's A2 8.1-8.9 asymmetric winds for EVH tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 22, 2009,