I am looking for an OD that covers 80's type bands. Not shred per-say, more 80's pop-rock.

for example, bands like Duran Duran, Styx (although that's more 70's), David Bowie, Bon Jovi, more along those lines.

What brands should I be looking into?

Boss? Digitech? MXR?

What should I look into?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
I tried Guitargeek.com no results.

Any general 80's rock type of OD will work.

Also, it doesnt have to be the actual artist's OD exactly, but similar sounding OD's.

Suggestions?

We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Mar 12, 2009,
NO FULLTONE!!!

I agree they sound good (I've only heard clips). But I'm in a small town and the most boutique thing we have is like a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube (which I tried and didnt like).

My budget is between $100-$200.

We love you. God Bless.
The only brands we carry are:

Boss
Danelectro
Digitech
EHX
Line 6
MXR
ProCo
Seymour Duncan

We love you. God Bless.
Try an MXR Distortion + or MXR GT-OD.
The MXR Distortion + is actually an overdrive, btw. Go on youtube and check out some clip0rz.
Last edited by myXchem at Mar 12, 2009,
whats GT is that a brand? (If so, we dont have 'em in ths little town, much less heard of 'em).

We love you. God Bless.
What about the ProCo Rat, or would that be too distorted?

We love you. God Bless.
u might want to source for an mxr distortion +, and run it into an overdriven amp. think randy rhoads. will not get his tone, but same concept.

mxr GT-OD. its in the custom shop line of MXR. doesnt make it any more exclusive imo
Quote by DudeLove
u might want to source for an mxr distortion +, and run it into an overdriven amp. think randy rhoads. will not get his tone, but same concept.

mxr GT-OD. its in the custom shop line of MXR. doesnt make it any more exclusive imo

What do you mean "source for"? or is that a typo of 'search for'?

also, who is randy rhoads?

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988

*massive face palm*

have u heard of google?

source for means look for??
Quote by neptune1988

Well gosh. Randy Rhoads played for Ozzy after Black Sabbath before Jake E Lee

He was the Best mother****ing classical/metal guitarist of his time. Sadly he was killed when he was 26.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by .Jamison

He was the Best mother****ing classical/metal guitarist of his time.

there.. nuff said.

respect
you want do play 80s but dont know who rhoads is?hah
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
TS9 DS1 and RAT
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Well, like I said in the first post:

not shred, but more pop-rock from the 80's.

I dont consider Black Sabbath pop-rock. Hence I never listen to them.

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988
The only brands we carry are:

Boss
Danelectro
Digitech
EHX
Line 6
MXR
ProCo
Seymour Duncan

that sucks..
Im looking for a pedal atm right now also for 80's but im wanting a more poison,def leppard,van halen,RATT type of sound. Have you tried the Pro co rat as im considering it and you've got to be kidding me you dont know who Randy Rhoads was?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
well if its got to be one from those comps, definately look into the Digitech CM-2 overdrive.

its such a great pedal, the two band EQ and the voicing switch is a major plus over alot of the others you mentioned.
The CM-2 can be difficult to use but once you know how to use it, its so frieken great.

also look into the visual sounds Jekyls and Hyde.

those are the only two main stream pedals i would buy.
Quote by BlackIce87
Im looking for a pedal atm right now also for 80's but im wanting a more poison,def leppard,van halen,RATT type of sound.

judging from ur sig.. u have some sick gear.

for def leppard get urself a chorus. a good ol' boss ce-2 will do the trick.

for van halen u might want an overdrive pedal to boost ur amps drive. that'll be really heavenly tone.. sustain to the max..
I agree - MXR Distortion+ is something that you will probably like. Also, try out the EHX Germanium OD.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Lemme get this straight here...

are you looking for an OD to boost your amp, or are you looking for an OD to run in front of your amp to give you the tone of the pedal which is "going" to sound like 80's metal?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
the OCD has your name written all over it.

Go for it, even without trying it out. I'm sure it'd suit you better than most of the stuff you can get at your local GC or whatever.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Gotta love UG's extreme cocksucking of Fulltone products.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
^Yeah, supporting good products is a terrible idea!

TS if you don't like what you've tried then you're gonna have to go on a limb and buy something off the internet. If you don't like it, return it (read over the policy carefully, legally they must have one though). Simple
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I am not denying the fact that Fulltione products are good - they are. The funny thing is that there are hundreds of other boutique pedalmakers who make products of equal or greater quality, but UG seems to love their Fulltone more than anything. Ehh...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Easier to find than most, what other boutique pedal maker has stuff in GC? I just find it stupid to hate on a good suggestion simple because it's stated a lot. I'm sure there's better stuff, unfortunately I haven't been able to try anything that's better.
I'm not hating - not at all! Why would you reccomend something that TS explicitly said he didn't want or didn't have the chance to get? Anyhow - as you were...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

He doesn't want it because he can't try it first. Seems to me he hasn't liked anything he tried, so he's probably gonna have to go online in which case the world is his oyster.
Indeed...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Yea, it's odd that you want an OD for the purpose achieving this sound. A multifx would be better. All that stuff was over processed and synthetic..
Get a Keytar while you are at it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Easier to find than most, what other boutique pedal maker has stuff in GC? I just find it stupid to hate on a good suggestion simple because it's stated a lot. I'm sure there's better stuff, unfortunately I haven't been able to try anything that's better.

You need to try 1 of these.

http://www.indy-guitarist.com/inc/sdetail/70

Similar to the OCD to me, but with alot more flexability and tone control. Hardly ever turn mine off.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD