During the song Elephant Talk, Adrian Belew uses a large amount of distortion and his tremolo bar to make a elephant-like noise. During this live performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCYdMXVre0), you can see he cranks up a knob, resulting in turning the current note into an elephant cry. The pedal looks very similar to a Modfactor, and I know Belew uses/used them. So, I was wondering, is that pedal a Modfactor, or something else? If it's a Modfactor, does anyone know what settings it's on?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
Quote by DegaMeth
link didnt work but its just the sound from the roland synth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCYdMXVre0

Does that work?

Anyways, I didn't know Belew used a Roland Synth. I know Fripp used one, though, on the solo of the song.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Herman Li has a vid on youtube on how to do that, plus some other tricks. :x
Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger is my guess. Belew mentioned it was a big part of the Elephant Talk sound in a GP interview.
Quote by Ex Shred
Herman Li has a vid on youtube on how to do that, plus some other tricks. :x

I like his vid on how to fail in front of millions...
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger is my guess. Belew mentioned it was a big part of the Elephant Talk sound in a GP interview.

Thanks: Because of this, I looked on some GP interview and found out he uses and Electro-Harmonix Echoflanger.

EDIT: Need to read more closely. :/ He also says you can use a Big Muff and Electric Mistress.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by TheWall27 at Mar 13, 2009,
ah, forgot the big muff. he also uses some massive amp/amp modeler thing I believe now (Johnson something if I'm not mistake...the interview is from the issue of GP with Slash on the cover; I want to say April 08?), but I'm not sure what he was using in KC back then, and if it was completely clean or had some onboard distortion going through it.
Its actually pretty easy

Any flanger and any fuzz will do it. And you dont need a tremolo....

Set the Flanger to slowish pulse or however fast you want the elephant to sound.

Get a fuzz with a good amount of gain thats really fuzzy set not od or distortion like.

Hit a note with the volume of and the pedals on. Then slide it up to the desired note while moving your volume knob on. When done right youll get the elephant talk.

The biggest problem with getting it right is the flanger speed.....mess with it till you get it. Oh and this works with any guitar...

I know most of Belews tricks and can do alot of em so far.....so I know this is right....