I'm thnking about saving for a Half Stack.My dad has a Kustom cabinet up in our attic,It seems kinda small comared to the bigger ones that are about waist high.Now does the sound differ with each cabinet? If I take a marshall head, and plug it in to 2 different cabinets, lets say a marshall and the Kustom, will I notice a significant difference in the tone? I understand it will be quieter, but is that it? Also, what is a really good amp head for hard rock, rock, and light metal? I'm thinking a cheap Marshall or a Raven.
Yes, they will sound different, even with the same head.
The Kustom is apparently not a 4x12 (im guessing 2x12?)
They most likely have different speakers as well, the Marshall with some kind of celestions.
Do not cheap out on a cab!
Biggest mistake ever.
I recomend getting a good cab first, such as a marshall. (or whatever)
Cheap cabs=bad tone in most cases.
Look around for cabs online and in stores.

As for the head...
Whats the budget (does this include cab)
Do you really need a stack, or will combo be just?
Play with a band?
Gig regularly?
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by doctorcheeze200 at Mar 12, 2009,
You have two Mesa amps. Why not just plug one into the Kustom instead of buying a cheap head?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
You have two Mesa amps. Why not just plug one into the Kustom instead of buying a cheap head?
his dads maybe?

marshall mg$$$$ < other no monie amps
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
his dads maybe?

Windsor would be a good option of he doesn't need two channels.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
a pevey? or a tiny terror??
Maybye lanley or engl...
Vintage V100 Peter Green signature
Squier LP
inbanez 12 string V
"custom" Abertone strat made in finland
Squier Acoustic Hello Kitty
Orange Tiny terror
Yamaha cabinet from the 60´s
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
his dads maybe?

They're in his sig though, not his dads..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Unless you're prepared to carry an extra 100 lbs to each and every practice or gig (or buy a second one to leave at your practice venue), then don't get a half stack. Combo is the way to go since you can spend maybe $100-$150 more than the head itself and still get a 100-150 watt 2x12 combo. One piece to carry around is a lot easier and less hassles, you don't have to worry about your speaker wire missing etc, and if there happen to be spare cabs around at venues, you should have the ability to plug your combo into an extension cabinet anyways without the hassle of having to transport that half stack.

I recently sold my Peavey Head, but kept the cabinet in the off chance I will be getting a combo in future with the extension option, or a new tube head since that investment will be pricey. I'm not looking for much, so far the new VOX nighttrain is a big frontrunner for it.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Im gonna go out on a limb and say any mesaboogie tube amp is gonna be way better than any marshall MG or raven. And Kustom is know for making good equipment. Vintage stuff even more so.
I just recently got a Vox Custom Classic V412BN 120W 4x12.
I havent bought a head yet because this is my first half stack and I didnt have the money yet,what would be a good amp head for this cab.Im on a tight budget.Im looking at Fender FM 100H Guitar Amp Head.Would this be a good choice.?
I wonder what pretend model Mesa Boogie amp he has?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.