how should i go about doing it?

i tried the interval ear trainer for a few minutes but it seems like a waste of time.
It's not.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Spend alot of time listening to your instrument. Take twenty minutes a day, and just play some intervals, and think about what they are, get them into your head.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Ricci Adam's interval ear trainer is great, it did wonders for me. However, I don't recommend using only one tool to train your ear. As well as using the ear trainer, use your instrument and play various intervals and hear what they sound like. Note the happiness of the major third and the hurt of the minor third. It may also help you to link the intervals to songs you know.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
When you use the ear trainer, I started off with just Root and Minor 2nd.

When I felt confindant in those, I added in the major 2nd.

Then the minor 3rd.
Major 3rd.

And just work yourself up.

Don't just try and do guesswork with every option right away, thats a waste of time in my opinion. (You just get better at guessing, not really recognizing)

Also, if you have your guitar handy, play a note. Play another note, and say the interval and note name. (eg; "C" "Perfect 5th" "G")

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
listening to vocal melodies of songs and figuring them out on guitar helped me. Its easier to start with strong vocal melodies and learn the notes by ear that way, than with a guitar. Although a piano would probably be beneficial too.

If you do the vocal approach, it would have to be songs with strong vocal melodies. Even backstreet boys songs might be more beneficial if you go that route vs. metallica or black sabbath or something.