Page 1 of 2
Now, here's my question: should I read the Bible for entertainment and knowledge purposes, rather than for religious purposes (I'm a deist, and not too long ago I was an atheist)? From what I can tell, a lot of great literary pieces have Biblical allusions and I wind up not understanding what the author is trying to convey because -- surprise! I never read the Bible. Not to mention that some of the stories actually sound *gasp* interesting.

Suggestions? Opinions? Flame possibly?

EDIT: I won't take it too literally guys, I'll be fine.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Mar 12, 2009,
I read the bible for fun, right after i read richard dawkins the god delusion. It's a real good read.

and there some messed up stuff in the old testement too.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Read. Ponder.

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Yeah you could do that or watch the Simpsons episodes where they act out bible stories.

The bible does actually look really interesting.
yes. western literature draws so much from the bible, it's good to familiarize yourself with it. just read it from a literary standpoint.
itll take a while...
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
I was planning on reading the Bible, Qur'an, and whatever the Jewish people read, for fun. Then read some books about evolution and stuff.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Now, here's my question: should I read the Bible for entertainment and knowledge purposes, rather than for religious purposes (I'm a deist, and not too long ago I was an atheist)? From what I can tell, a lot of great literary pieces have Biblical allusions and I wind up not understanding what the author is trying to convey because -- surprise! I never read the Bible. Not to mention that some of the stories actually sound *gasp* interesting.

Suggestions? Opinions? Flame possibly?

The Bible:
Not Harry Potter
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Well, why not? If you can, do it, I could never even get halfway through, it bored me out of my mind. And that's coming from someone who likes to read stuff about neutrinos.
Its too disjoinnted for me to read. Stop start stop start. Some of it is just downright boring.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Read it and picture it all in early 1900's style Disney animation. You're better off not taking it literally, you might go out to hurt someone.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I'd say read it. There's a lot of boring list-type stuff in the Old Testament, but there's a lot of good stuff too. Give it a try.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by The_Paranoia
I was planning on reading the Bible, Qur'an, and whatever the Jewish people read, for fun. Then read some books about evolution and stuff.

Don't worry, I do believe in evolution.
Quote by manmanster
The Bible:
Not Harry Potter

Your point?
Quote by x0rsist
Its too disjoinnted for me to read. Stop start stop start. Some of it is just downright boring.

I could just skip the boring parts; this isn't part of an assignment or anything.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
it's always good to read proper literature.

i tried to read the bible from start to finish but i just couldn't hack it. i do like the proverbs section, though.

i've skimmed through it and there are some good lessons and advice, and i think you can get something out of it regardless of your religion.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
the old testament was black metal brutal
its on my to do list to read the old testament actually
maybe the new,
but it isnt particularly high up there
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
It sucks when you already know the ending, though.

However, I think you should read it. Reading it doesn't mean that you believe it, especially if you think it's a piece of fiction. You wouldn't believe something like 1984, would you? (That, of course, applies to the people who don't believe in God).
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by aznrockerdude
Don't worry, I do believe in evolution.

Your point?

I could just skip the boring parts; this isn't part of an assignment or anything.

When i read...which isnt very often...i need to be kept interested all the time or the book hits the shelf and never leaves again. There'd be maybe one interesting story in the bible amid 10 pages of religious duff.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
as a book, its quite interesting. maybe only in the old testament part. the thought of reading lines that speak of nothing else but praise and blah blah is what makes the bible suck for me...

i didnt get far in the bible though.
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

honestly, i've read parts of it out of personal interest, and some of it is quite good. but it really depends on the version you read. King James is a pretty good one.
Quote by Jericho114
Read it and picture it all in early 1900's style Disney animation. You're better off not taking it literally, you might go out to hurt someone.

Hhhmmm... love your enemies, turn the other cheek, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How is that going to hurt anyone?
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Hhhmmm... love your enemies, turn the other cheek, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How is that going to hurt anyone?

This
I've read it a couple of times. It's not an incredibly entertaining thing, but it fits in my pocket and I often have to take 6 hour bus rides.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

What about the many, many bad things that it also advocates?

I think the OP needs to ask himself if he wants to read it or not. I can think of plenty of books I'd rather read before the Bible.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Read it. Whether you want to believe in it or not, that's your choice, but it's definately some good reading and some powerful stuff.
Strats & Seagulls
Over 2 billions people believe the book to be a 100% accurate depiction of the world apparently so you'd better understand how a lot of people think. But also theres a lot of messed up stuff in there and plenty of contradictions.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

hmm...old testement... destroying two whole villages for laying with other men, kill people who work on the sabbath,an eye for an eye...

Juts one example simpled down: man has angered the villagers, villigers form and angry mob and storm his house, man prays, god advises him to offer his daughters body to the mob so he can escape.

You can't pick and choose mate.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by darthteet

I think the OP needs to ask himself if he wants to read it or not. I can think of plenty of books I'd rather read before the Bible.

It's not just that though, I really need to brush up on my knowledge of the Bible if I end up reading some older books containing Biblical allusions.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Definitely a good thing to be familiar with.

And as a religious orthodox Jew who has learned most of the Old Testament for over 12 years, I can tell you it is VERY interesting, especially once you hit the early prophets section.

I say go for it.

EDIT: I just realized I may have opened a can of worms by saying that. I am not here to debate anything. But if you feel the need to spark a debate with me, send me a pm, don't pollute the thread please.
Last edited by GettintheLedout at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by aznrockerdude
It's not just that though, I really need to brush up on my knowledge of the Bible if I end up reading some older books containing Biblical allusions.

What books are you reading? The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by darthteet
What books are you reading? The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe?

Nope, the Scarlet Letter. I had to read some Puritan writing a couple of weeks ago also.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Nope, the Scarlet Letter. I had to read some Puritan writing a couple of weeks ago also.

All the allusions to the Bible so subtle that you'd need to read the Bible to get them, or are they obvious enough that simply living in a predominantly Christian country would provide enough familiarity?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
hmm...old testement... destroying two whole villages for laying with other men, kill people who work on the sabbath,an eye for an eye...

Juts one example simpled down: man has angered the villagers, villigers form and angry mob and storm his house, man prays, god advises him to offer his daughters body to the mob so he can escape.

You can't pick and choose mate.

That's why the Crucifixion took place, so everything wasn't so effing crazy. It basicly destroyed legalism like that and made it so that we don't have to do that crazy stuff. It made it so that it's not about what we do because we're already "paid for." That's one thing that makes Christianity unlike any other religion.

That's enough preaching for me for one night. I will now log off and allow the waves of scorching, merciless flames devour this thread.

kthxbye
We're only strays.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, why not? If you can, do it, I could never even get halfway through, it bored me out of my mind. And that's coming from someone who likes to read stuff about neutrinos.

Back in the good ol' days, in religion class, my friend and I would sit at the back at read revelations...it was fucked
███████████████████████████████████
I like to steal the complimentary bibles from cheap motels and slip them into the fantasy section in libraries. But the bible is almost believable compared to some other religion's creation stories and stuff. I think J.R.R Tolkien wrote the Torah and Qur'an didn't he?
Last edited by Spectromerepere at Mar 12, 2009,
bibles aregood for two things.

Hiding your hand gun in it.
and hiding your stash in it / rolling paper.
I've read it. I'm an atheist. It is a good book, and historically important, everyone should read it.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Page 1 of 2