I did something like this on another forum, and it was a brilliant laugh. As valuable as it is to post our best efforts so they can be critiqued, thus helping us get better, it is just as fun to look back at where you were at some point in time. Those really crappy recordings you (we) all thought were so sh!t hot when we did them are - through the lens of experience - really pretty awful.

What sorts of tripe do we have buried in our own personal vaults? Let's go back and measure our improvements by posting really old stuff that just barely sits on the threshold of "I'm too embarassed to let anyone hear this."

Please include:

How old is it?
What gear? - er... to the best of your memory....
Anything else that you might want to share just for a good laugh.

So... I'll break the ice....
www.now-here-this.com/don_t_change_your_mind__92-93.mp3

This is a song that finally appeared on our album. I like the song, though it has certainly evolved from this version here. The newer one is available in the media player on my band's website at www.now-here-this.com.

Written and recorded - around 1992-1993.
I played all instruments - guitar, drums, bass, vocals - yes, this is one of only two recordings that exist of me playing drums!!

Gear:
Fostex X260 4-track - probably a 99-cent cassette tape...
Two mics - SM58 and I think an old AKG dynamic mic;
Drums - an old Westbury kit or something that I bought and sold for about $300 - double-kick and all!!
Guitars - ElDegas electric, Peavey amp (I think), a borrowed 12-string and a borrowed bass.
FX - an old Bogen mixer with spring reverb.
Monitoring - a Sony ghetto blaster, and an Aiwa mini home stereo

Method: like I remember that...??!!

The only thing I have left is the electric guitar and the two mics.

Things I find particularly funny: (not an exhaustive list)
NO dynamic range (no I didn't compress it - must have just slammed the old tape pretty hard....)
BAD singing/vocal quality
The fact that I actually played drums on this...

Enjoy, laugh with me (not at me, please??!! ), and now post one of yours!!

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 12, 2009,
No idea, really.... it was about 15 years ago. I think I wrote it over a period of a couple of days, but.... who knows, really? What's kind of interesting is how much the song evolved over the years, though... there were some pretty major revisions.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If i can find some of the stuff I did in high school on my 4 track cassette recorder I shall definitely upload it, assuming i can find a tape player with a line out.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I recorded my first track called "Masterpiece" over 2 years ago using a PSR SE EG electric and Boss DS1 distortion pedal. I think the drums are from the Roland TD10 I had years ago.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/avap

This was back when I was feeding my small mixer into a stock sound card. I think it sounds fairly good considering that little detail.
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 13, 2009,
This is a quality idea.

I was torn between this. A cover of "The Russian" by "The Bees" (or "A Band of Bees" to you yanks).

This. A completely original atrocity.

Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
The song Why Why in my profile.

I used:

Fostex 16 track digital recorder
Rode microphone (forget the model, but its mid-price range)
Alesis Micron (Bellisichord preset)
Some bells and tambourine.

I think the song itself has great potential, but I just recorded it in either one or two takes and I cant sing. Also had to mix it using headphones.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
The song Why Why in my profile.

I used:

Fostex 16 track digital recorder
Rode microphone (forget the model, but its mid-price range)
Alesis Micron (Bellisichord preset)
Some bells and tambourine.

I think the song itself has great potential, but I just recorded it in either one or two takes and I cant sing. Also had to mix it using headphones.

There's nothing wrong with that?! I think it sounds rad!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
^^ Cheers man, appreciated. I listened to it just now for the first time in a long time and its funny at the end how you can the click from the "stop" button on the MTR haha. I would have liked to invest more time in the vocals for it though.

Cheaters Prosper sounds like the thing you would hear on the Nirvana boxset qualitywise. The performance is funky though, started bopping my head halfway through
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

The worst stuff I ever did was on my old Fostex cassette porta studio. Thankfully all of those tapes have been gotten rid of. Back then I was really into complex orchestrations, using a super-cheesy keyboard and the worst drum "machine" known to man (some kind of Sony thing), and with bouncing tracks back and forth the tracks were usually completely devoid of high end by the time it was time for a "mixdown" (running the headphone out into my stereo's cassette deck). My "amp" was a Gorilla that I ran a BOSS ME-5 through and the mic was more or less Radio Shack quality. The only good thing I can say about those recordings is that I learned a lot.
@ axemanchris

it sounds like the cassette tape is ready to collapse

there are sections where it does sound quite good, but like I said, when theres a lot going on it seems like the tape just cant hack it! pops and clips
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Last edited by buzz at Mar 14, 2009,
www.myspace.com/1000416685

recorded around '93 on a tascam porta 07 using cheap headphones as mics and an ART FXR

We just used to bum out of college and do ****e like that all day, it's about some people we know. The smoking buddies thing is not actually a reference to drugs - it's just we were the only two out of a large group who smoked "it kinda sets us apart from the rest"

All improv'd, as you can probably tell.

The other guy is my best mate who found a girl called yoko and moved to Japan - he's just released an album under his alter-ego Vic Mars and we are now doing stuff together again after a 15 year break - thank goodness for the internet.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Does it amtter if the recording was just for fun? and it wass all messe up, and about a Digitech Whammy Pedal??? Me and my friend made a recording just for laughs.
..I was watching my death.
www.myspace.com/collisiontheory1

That's when I used my Tascam 4 track tape recorder. Put a crappy karaoke mic right up against that 10 watt 5'' speaker with a DS-1 attached(lol). For drums, I used a shure SM57 on a stand, making sure the stand was touching the bass drum so it could vibrate the mic stand, therefore picking up the bass. It pointed down the middle of the set. Good times, I was so naive.