Hey guys, I just bought myself a Schecter Tempest Classic, and I know the stock pckups arent too good.
I play in a hardcore metal band, so im looking for a pretty brutal tone:P
But cleans are still pretty important.
I was leaning towards EMG, but it's alot of hassle, I think id rather just have a good beefy passive.

We play alot of thrash influences riffs, so it needs to be quite a sound.
I was looking at bareknuckles, but dunno which ones to go for.

Thanks again
what amp are you using? i ask cause you said you 'know' rather then 'think' so it sounds like its based off assumption

Edit: and can ppl stop asking us for bareknuckle recomendations? you can email tim! the guy who makes them! he knows best.

Edit 2: duncan 59 and custom custom... great pickups. with the correct amp can sound brutal as hell.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Mar 12, 2009,
GFS power rails?
they sound good to me
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Im using a bugera 333xl.
I have spoke to him, I already own a set of painkillers in my c-1, i'm not too keen on them.
Any pickup suggestions are appreciated tho
Ask CorduroyEW. He makes pickups as RockMonkey Guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't think the EMG or SD Blackout would be too much hassle. If you're playing a lot of metal you may end up with actives in the end anyway. I also like Dimarzio for passives though.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
beefy passive?

Dimarzio Breeds
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
D Activator X?

Its supposed to emulate the active sounds. Plus the bass end has a real good thump.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
DiMarzio Breed in the neck, DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Its just the hassle of getting them fitted from passive. But alot of the bands I like us emgs, so they seem pretty appealing. Ill always keep passives in my c1 anyway incase I need them.
Are emgs frowned upon around here?
they are, but emgs are great all around pups. I have the 81/85 set and I play country-jazz-alternative-some metal. They sound good in every genre I play.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The EMG 60 is killer for clean neck tones.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Have you considered the Seymore Duncan Hotrails? Pretty beefy, and capable of delivering just about any amount of distortion very well...
Quote by sdmf.1919
Its just the hassle of getting them fitted from passive. But alot of the bands I like us emgs, so they seem pretty appealing. Ill always keep passives in my c1 anyway incase I need them.
Are emgs frowned upon around here?

How's it a hassle? Honestly, I think putting it new actives is easier than putting in new passives And if you're thinking you need to route a hole for the battery like so many other people think on this forum, you don't, just stick the battery in the control compartment.

That being said, I wouldn't suggest actives

I really dig my Duncan Custom Custom in my Washburn... it has more output than my EMGs in my Viper, and they sound better.

Quote by gerardwayne
Have you considered the Seymore Duncan Hotrails? Pretty beefy, and capable of delivering just about any amount of distortion very well...

Umm... the Hotrail is a single-coil sized humbucker... his guitar uses full-sized humbuckers...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
How's it a hassle? Honestly, I think putting it new actives is easier than putting in new passives And if you're thinking you need to route a hole for the battery like so many other people think on this forum, you don't, just stick the battery in the control compartment.

That being said, I wouldn't suggest actives

I really dig my Duncan Custom Custom in my Washburn... it has more output than my EMGs in my Viper, and they sound better.

Some guitars have a big enough pot pannel thingy that the 9v can fit in with a thin piece of foam around it, And as for LTD\ESPs that have EMG's They're incredibly badly wired, i know quite a few people who have had to get their LTD\ESP's rewired due to the crap job they do. Thus why i have a low end Jackson with aftermarket EMG's, They sound pretty much the same no matter what you put them in. But EMG's are a quieter than most passives. when i change from the G-400 to my jackson, theres quite a volume drop, but more of a beefy sound that can sustain alot longer. It's all personal preference though. if you want passives. Di'marzio is the way to go. Super Distortion in the bridge, maybe a Jazz in the neck.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
If you want actives, I would recommend Seymour Duncan Blackouts, you can get better cleans out of them than you can with EMG's. If you want passive, I would recommend DiMarzio D-Activators, or maybe a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position with a '59 in the neck.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
EMG 81-60 or rockfield pickups. A mafia in the neck and a fat ass in the bridge.