Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to conduct an experiment. Can someone tell me why people consider artists such as Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, Katy Perry, etc "music" and talented? i will start off first by saying that there is no talent whatsoever due to the disney corporation and pitch shifting devices during recording. Any input would be great
Their looks.
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Subjective.
We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.
Jim Morrison
Damn, dude! I wish I was as cool as you and listened to good music! One can only dream.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Don't worry, they'll all be dead someday, then you won't have to worry anymore.

You'll probably be dead too, but that still adds to the "not worry anymore" thing.
Quote by guitarman47
I'm trying to conduct an experiment. Can someone tell me why people consider artists such as Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, Katy Perry, etc "music" and talented? i will start off first by saying that there is no talent whatsoever due to the disney corporation and pitch shifting devices during recording. Any input would be great

Cuz they make music people enjoy? Just a thought there.

After looking at some of your favorite bands, I dont think most of there music takes talent, but you dont see me bitching about it on the internet.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Last edited by Ktool The Girth at Mar 12, 2009,
i like katy perry

Edit: in fact! im gonna go watch the 'i kissed a girl' vid right now! cause its easy music with hot chicks! i love complicated music that makes you think, but that doesnt make mainstream music any less catchy, good music=/=technical music, my preference=technical music. and hating something out of the principle that the person who sung/played it has no talent is incredibly idiotic.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Mar 12, 2009,
ever stop to think that they might like that kind of music? I'm seriously getting sick of all these "Mainstream music is crap" threads. People have different tastes in music, get over it.
Opinions, people have them.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Their music is very accessible, you can go on Itunes, it's on the front page, you listen to them on the radio, buy CD's from stores, etc. Also, their music's easily marketable to those impressionable retards that buy from these bands because they don't know any real bands. Also, the media is always covering these bands and the dumbasses can listen to them by the ****load because they're ****ing marketable.

Remember:

Oversized Pubic Hair on Head =/= Cute
Skanky ***** =/= Good Role Model
Eyeliner =/= Sensitive
Power Chords =/= Talent
Singing about Girl Issues =/= Original

Quote by slash4114
ever stop to think that they might like that kind of music? I'm seriously getting sick of all these "Mainstream music is crap" threads. People have different tastes in music, get over it.

I kinda like katy perry =\
but seriously, who cares about what others think? especially with what music they like.
you have to be open-minded about it all. even though they may not have talent, people might just like the melodies =|
~Carl
Some people don't care about how technical music is, for a start. Alot of people prefer simple and catchy music. How do you think 'pop' music has become how big it has today, and 'Mathcore' is bearly even heard of in comparison?

Then theirs the fact they're subjected to it, it's what's on TV and hear on the radio.
Aswell as looks and appearances of 'artists'.

There are probably alot more 'factors' to bring into consideration aswell.

I actually quite enjoy some pop-type music.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by StreetLight3989
Opinions, people have them.

+1
im tired of seeing these ridiculous threads, i've been hovering this site for years and always see this ****... its a ****ing opinion, heaven forbid if everyone doesnt like technical music or **** you like. Maybe those people think your music is ****ty, but there not whining about it?
Quote by guitarman47

Technically speaking, it IS music. It's sound, therefore it's music.

Also, there is some kind of talent, because if there wasn't there wouldn't be any kind of discernible pattern or rhythm within their music.

They're popular because they're part of statistics. It's the kind of music the average, everyday, "trendy" kid/tween wants to hear. You would be immensely surprised at how much money and how much time goes into research for what's "cool".

And, more than any of the other things I've said, it's catchy music. People always tend to migrate towards music that gets their toes tapping, or gets them into the rhythm.

And, furthermore, a lot of people like it. Just because it's seen as talentless and stupid to some doesn't mean that people won't like it. The majority of people don't give two shits about talent, they just want music they can have fun to, and that's all this music is made to do.

That, and make money.

Now be quiet.

[/thread]
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Everyone's different.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Popular music (and that includes all form of rock, metal, etc.) is based primarily on image. People want to be part of a culture--a shared set of beliefs and values--and each genre exists based largely on this culture rather than the actual sounds produced.

Kids want to be part of the culture surrounding these bands, just like most fans of any genre want to be part of the culture surrounding that genre.

Also, just because someone's technical ability is low, it doesn't mean he/she is not talented. There's a lot more to good music than difficult playing.

edit* and what is your experiment? You don't mention anything about what your actual experiment is in your post.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 12, 2009,
I hate these threads.

Not everyone has to like metal/classic rock/necrophagist/whatever.

Fuck off.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
I blame video games.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
While the performers themselves may not be particularly talented (your reference to pitch correction), the songwriters are, and that is where the hits come from. The performers you mentioned are just a face.
i think those people haven't been exposed to lesser known music. i remember the day i first heard a bit of indie after years of only listening to the mainstream stuff on the radio. after that day i downloaded music from every genre and i havent listened to mainstream since.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
eh every generation of music sucks to people that are stuck in the past 60s people hated 70s music, 70s people hated 80s music, 80s people hated 90s music, 90s people hated 00 music. It's just a cirlce and once you realize to deal with it you'll live happier.

or to put in "The Pit" language: VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STARS!

p.s. but I must agree though, today's music is not so hot right now.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Last edited by reb_49 at Mar 12, 2009,
personally, i dont see the difference in talent between a 5 year old banging on pots and pans, and Dream Theater. yes, one is more technical, but try agrguing that Dream Theater is better, the only response i would have to say is how. then u would explain how, then i would say no, and niether of us would win the argument. its ur opinion, its never correct, theres no such thing.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Damn, dude! I wish I was as cool as you and listened to good music! One can only dream.

Me too, cause if I was an elitist, I could make uber cool threads about other peoples music tastes.
Quote by Hinro
While the performers themselves may not be particularly talented (your reference to pitch correction), the songwriters are, and that is where the hits come from. The performers you mentioned are just a face.

Yes, I agree, "I'm hot, you're cold/You go around like you know" are beautiful, totally original lyrics.
Talent != Good music
talent aids in creating music but is not a requirement at all to create good music... same with technical ability....

You realize that you are just as bad for completely disregarding certain artists just because they use pitch shifting software and popular style?
Quote by guitarman47

are you people that out of the loop just cuz your metalheads? seriously.

jonas bros and cyrus are famous cuz of disney, yea they are **** bands

katy perry, lady gaga etc.. ppl like dancing, yes clubs, yes alot of ppl, rock and br00tlz dont give beats that are good for dancing, also they have catchy rhythms. same goes for hiphop

nickelback ppl who play guitar hate, yet they sell millions of records want to know why? cuz just plain old joe bob who works 9-5 who doesnt want to listen to br00tlz go *chug chug chug screech chug chug chug screech -with yelling* he wants to listen to a plain alright sounding song when he gets home, which is why there is a mainstream, cuz the main audience of people like it, hence mainstream

/rant over
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Mar 12, 2009,
I love how these threads never see the return of the OP.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Wesseem
i think those people haven't been exposed to lesser known music. i remember the day i first heard a bit of indie after years of only listening to the mainstream stuff on the radio. after that day i downloaded music from every genre and i havent listened to mainstream since.

But I also agree with this guy. After hearing my first bit of Sonic Youth in 6th grade, it changed my music genres completely. Total backflip, flipflop, whatchamacallop.
Because not everyone likes br00tal metorz...

That and the fact that there are people below the age of 14 in the world...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Page 1 of 2