I just bought a digitech whammy pedal off ebay (awesome effects pedal!) but a thought just occured to me: I know that playing a bass thru a guitar amp can damage the speaker due to the low frequencies. while stupid this question is, would using the whammy's 2 octave down (or even 1 octave down on a low string) w/ my guitar cause any harmful frequencies?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
i am unsure, i have a whammy 4 and i tend to play octave down and also harmonise an octave down too. I haven't had any problems over the past year.

I think playing an octave down would be fine, because u find a lot of 'hardcore' bands or whatever playing with everything tuned down to weird **** like everything down a major 3rd. some fo those bands also tend to have 7 string guitars too, so a low B tuned down a major 3rd is... G, so its not THAT far from having an E.

thats what i think anyway.
good point, and i was thinking that too. i just wanted to get a second opinion, cause my amp made a weird sound (not that ANY sound from a whammy isnt weird...). should be fine when i turn it up tho, its at practice levels right now.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
pedals are no problem. its only with amps. also why didn't you get a bass whammy? the tracking for mass isn't that good on any of the normal whammys.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
pedals are no problem. its only with amps. also why didn't you get a bass whammy? the tracking for mass isn't that good on any of the normal whammys.

He's not talking about using the whammy for bass, he means using the 2 octave down to make the guitar sound like bass.
Good question, I dont know whether it would damage anything
Well my amp (vox valvetronix with 12inch speaker) takes 1 octave down and all the other one octave down settings fine. I never use 2 octaves since i dont think the speaker can play it and it sounds like it's struggling. I can see the speaker cone wobbling really slowly and making not enough noise. I did play around a lot and it hasn't broken my speaker (yet) though but still it dosnt seem happy with 2 octaves although it can manage all the other strings on 2 down, just not low down on the E string.

I can imagine it blowing a speaker or something if you had an amp up really loud then slammed it down to 2 octaves down though but it dosnt really sound good that low down anyway and one octave down is enough to sound like a bass
Quote by littlephil
He's not talking about using the whammy for bass, he means using the 2 octave down to make the guitar sound like bass.
Good question, I dont know whether it would damage anything

K lol. just skimped over the question instead of actually reading it. but the 2 octaves down is no problem.
1. a divebomb with a floyd is a 3 octave dive so a 2 octave should be no problem.
2. what would make a bass damage a guitar amp is the force and the deep deep low ends that it has. the whammy only drops to a guitarfriendly bass frequents not a full blowing bass.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
i'm jsut wanting to clarify that down 1 octave with the whammy pedal makes the guitar low E (82Hz), the same as a bass guitar Low E (41Hz). the reason why you can barely hear anything with octave 2 down is because humans begin hearing at 20Hz
Quote by helsinki_vampir
K lol. just skimped over the question instead of actually reading it. but the 2 octaves down is no problem.
1. a divebomb with a floyd is a 3 octave dive so a 2 octave should be no problem.
2. what would make a bass damage a guitar amp is the force and the deep deep low ends that it has. the whammy only drops to a guitarfriendly bass frequents not a full blowing bass.

+1
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by helsinki_vampir

When a divebomb is done on a floyd, the strings go so loose that they don't make much sound. Doing a divebomb on a whammy pedal gives you a sound that is 2 octaves down but still the same volume.

Quote by helsinki_vampir

No, the whammy will produce a fairly similar frequency spectrum to a real bass, and like a bass guitar it will only damage your amp if you play through it at high volumes for a long time.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis