In a few months I am going to buy a Schecter hellraiser c-7, I play a 6 string right now and my questions are.

1) Does it take awhile to get used to the thickness of the neck?
2) Iv heard that 7 strings help you alternat pick better (string skipping stuff)

Thats about it, thanks
1. It can take a few minutes to a few weeks. Depends a lot on how you play. If you can play some crazy metal in standard tuning or downtuned standard tunings, switching to a 7 is pretty easy as far as composition. If you're into dropped style tunings, switching to a 7 might be a little annoying.

Physically, it's not too bad. I find Ibanez is an easier transition because of their thinner necks. Don't let this scare you away from Schecter. They build an excellent guitar for the money, which Ibanez just doesn't offer. Most 7's are based on the superstrat design, jumbo frets, good cutaways... you might get a few wrist pains at first if you play down around the first few frets, but it goes away after a while of playing.

2. This is more of a mental thing. If you practice alternate picking and string skipping, it doesn't matter what you play, you'll be better at it than someone who doesn't. A lot of people gain more control over 6's after playing 7's because there is one more string to add to scalar runs, riffs, and such. More movement vertically with less movement horizontally.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Alright thanks man, yea I play drop C, why is it harder to adjust from a 6 string to a 7 if I play drop tunnings? Just curious
It doesn't take long to get used to the thickness of the neck. You may have to pull your strap up just a little bit higher depending on the feel you like. The seventh string is a little bit more floppy than you are used to but, I wouldn't exactly say that it "helps" with alternate picking. The biggest difference is that all the scales and modes take on a different form. Simply, you are just adding another string. Technicaly, your scales start differently than normal. If you are into learning keys, the seventh string can create an optical illlusion until you are use to the bottom E being the second string down... My advise, get use to the names of the notes on the new string and your playing will remain in key and give you five more bass notes to utilize! (note: it is the same relation as your high B to your high E) Congratulations on your first seven string, dude!
With drop tunings you can do power chords with one finger. With a seven string (unless you plan to drop it to "A") you are playing just like if it was in a version of standard tuning. There is a little more complicated technique involved with standard tunings and it doesn't seem as easy at first. That is why it is frustrating.
once your use to it you'll do fine. Make sure to incorperate all the stuff you've been working on to use the seven-string, when apropreite. Work it into you exercises, and use it when playing seven string songs, compistion, and maybe to add some extra beef to your parts. Other wise don't use the seventh string all the time. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it on everything. Use it on some cords, but make sure they don't sound muddy first. Most of it is getting that last string into your head. just takes some practice.
Quote by jacksonuser123
Alright thanks man, yea I play drop C, why is it harder to adjust from a 6 string to a 7 if I play drop tunnings? Just curious

Most guys plays 7's in a standard tuning, whether it's half a step down or what have you.

Me personally, I play in the style of Lamb of God and Tool. When I play a 7 string, I have to be in a different mindset or tuning before I enjoy the functionality of the extra string.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Are 7 string guitars much better in terms for sweep picking?
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

They aren't any different to be honest.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
They aren't any different to be honest.

+1. They're literally just a six string guitar with another string.

There's no magic pixie dust that comes with them that makes any sort of technique easier.
i play my seven string in drop A, so its like being in standard tuning of a 6-string and a low dropped tuning at once!! (its tuned a-e-a-d-g-b-e if some1 got confused idk...) but it was definitely awkward with the large neck. be sure to spend good time on the 7 and 6 so a switch later isnt too uncomfortable and u dont screw up ur fingering (ull understand later).

string skipping is the same as a regular 6string. but tapping is most definitley easier (ive heard the 7string was invented for this purpose, however it is most likely false or only a tad right). but when u get the new axe, enjoy the dookie outa it. they are as fun as hell (tho i guess not literally, i hear its wicked hot...)
tapping is easier because a lot of seven strings have very flat neck's, spaced strings, and low action. Which is ideal for shredding or tapping. you can find six strings built the same way.