Boosted JCM800. A mesa will never sound like that. A stilleto could probably get close since it's mesa's take on marshall, but the JCM is the amp you hear on early megadeath.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Boosted JCM800. A mesa will never sound like that. A stilleto could probably get close since it's mesa's take on marshall, but the JCM is the amp you hear on early megadeath.

Yupp. Dave has used Marshalls the majority of his career - he did switch to something else there for a short while (I'm a bit drunk right now so I can't really recall random gear facts lol) but he switched back to Marshall in 2003 I believe? Dont quote me on that.

Point is - Marshall JCM800 with a boost is going to get you the tone you are after.
Does does dave use line 6 amps now? The higher end ones.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life

not anymore, hes back to marshall.

when he did play line 6, he wqs emulating marshall anyway
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget?
Home or Gig?
Genres (all)?
New or Used?
Location?

im looking to save about 1200 ish
home for now
mainly thrash/death - touching classic
used prefered
Well you are smart about looking at used gear. Have you checked your local craigslist? If you tell me you closest major city we can check. Can I assume you would rather have a Combo vs a Half Stack and that cleans are fairly important to you? The new Peavey 3120 would probably work well but won't leave much $ left for a speaker cab. They were recently seen being sold with a 4x12 cab (for free). If that were the case, I would probably try to sell that cab and get a better one. Maybe a 2x12.

You can easily find JCM 800s, 5150s, Triple Xs, etc used.

Also use the link in my sig to find specific gear.

If you are not too hung up on modelling amps a Vypyr 60 or Line 6 Flextone might work.

Let us know.
Engl Fireball or a JCM 800....maybe a 900 but I know a lot of people don't like them
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
I'd shoot for a splawn Quickrod. Probably the best Megadeth tone for the money.

You can get one used for around $1,300.

Other good choices
Marshall JCM800
Marshall JCM900
Marshall JVM
Voodoo Marshalls
Roccaforte Marshall mods
Splawn Marshall Mods
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by JoePerry4life

He doesn't use a straight up Line 6. I think he just uses some 1599 dollar Line 6 preamp. I think it's like the processor out of the Vetta series, but I'm not too sure

But yeah, boosted 800 will do it for you
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
A used DSL will get there too.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by stratman_13
He doesn't use a straight up Line 6. I think he just uses some 1599 dollar Line 6 preamp. I think it's like the processor out of the Vetta series, but I'm not too sure

But yeah, boosted 800 will do it for you

He had an amp built specifically for him by line 6. Based on 3 Marshall channels. Sounded quite organic on United Abominations. They were on ebay shortly after the CD was released.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
He had an amp built specifically for him by line 6. Based on 3 Marshall channels. Sounded quite organic on United Abominations. They were on ebay shortly after the CD was released.

They sold them?

Huh. Well that article was wrong
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I'm sure line 6 wasn't too happy of it either.

Dave changes gear quite often. If I look around I can find the ebay listing. I had dial up at the time, otherwise I would own that thing!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Check out Sovtek MIG amps on ebay/craigslist, they're clones of 80s marshall heads and they're simply amazing for a clone, they sound very good and the hot rodded one is like a third the price of a hot rodded marshall. Check'em out.
so for rust in peace era below i'd want jcm 800... word i'll look into it

thank you to everyone who helped...