Hey. I posted this in GG&A and got only a couple responses so i will post here.

My brother just started bass and he needs a good combo amp. He will mostly be playing metal and hardcore stuff so it will have to be tight and punchy and have good tone in general without distorting. Should be able to get loud, but sound good quiet as well. Any versatile combo will do. I'm looking at Ampeg combos because that is pretty much the only brand i know with a good rep. Budget is probably $350 or less used. and please give input on speaker sizes and tube/SS sound for bass amps. Thanks.
Remember i don't know much about bass stuff.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Mar 13, 2009,
If you want a solidly clean sound SS is the way to go. I like a bit of grit in my tone so i use a tube head myself.

For metal having a 15" will help a ton since he will probably be downtuning and looking for a good amount of low end growl. I use a 4x12(just got it but played it and tweaked the tone a good bit) and get a good bit of growl from it. not as much as 15s might offer but enough for me. Of course, a single 12" speaker wouldn't have as much growl, so for a combo I'd get a 15".

Others will advise on brand but I will add that I love peavey amps. good versatile amps that last a lifetime. Not as much growl as some amps but they have the ability to cover most things.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
If you want a solidly clean sound SS is the way to go. I like a bit of grit in my tone so i use a tube head myself.

For metal having a 15" will help a ton since he will probably be downtuning and looking for a good amount of low end growl. I use a 4x12(just got it but played it and tweaked the tone a good bit) and get a good bit of growl from it. not as much as 15s might offer but enough for me. Of course, a single 12" speaker wouldn't have as much growl, so for a combo I'd get a 15".

Others will advise on brand but I will add that I love peavey amps. good versatile amps that last a lifetime. Not as much growl as some amps but they have the ability to cover most things.

thanks for the info. i was looking at an ampeg BA115T which is hybrid. any peavey's in particular? and are tube amps generally better suited for metal? i mean cant you just get some distortion/Od with pedals instead?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack