so whats the deal with semi-hollows? How are they different from a solidbody other than the fact that they are semi-hollow? I hear the same sounds coming out of both my PRS SE solidbody and the Epiphone semi-hollow Sheriton in my room. I even see that the lead singer from Seether sports one and it sounds the same as a solidbody
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
There's a lot different. Semi's have more feedback, they have a more jazzy tone.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
and its Sheraton! sheesh... :P i have that guitar and i love it! it does not sound like ur prs!XD
Quote by SG6578
There's a lot different. Semi's have more feedback, they have a more jazzy tone.

Ah I see thanks are those the only differences?

EDIT:
Quote by tensaigamer0
and its Sheraton! sheesh... :P i have that guitar and i love it! it does not sound like ur prs!XD

Now that it was mentioned, I notice that it DOES have alot more natural feedback than my SE.
Cant pick it over the playability of my PRS though. It's sexy
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at Mar 13, 2009,
the necks abit fat on my sheraton but ive gotten used to it :P great guitar im not a prs guy tho.. o.o
Semi's are a bit warmer, and tend to have mellow pickups in them due to the feedback.
Its basically a skinnier acoustic, with a solid-body's pickups.
superman is killing himself tonight
And with a chunk of solid wood through the middle.

Are you playing with a very driven tone by any chance?

What amp?

Through a nice clean there is MASSIVE amounts of difference. I have never been able to get a clean tone I'm happy with without a semi. Solid's sound horrible for cleans in comparison.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
And with a chunk of solid wood through the middle.

Are you playing with a very driven tone by any chance?

What amp?

Through a nice clean there is MASSIVE amounts of difference. I have never been able to get a clean tone I'm happy with without a semi. Solid's sound horrible for cleans in comparison.

I guess you had this coming, but through the right amp even an Explorer can have wonderful cleans (albeit on the neckbucker). The Ibanez single coils do also deliver if they must.

But that aside, I agree that the difference is best noticable playing clean. Still you should also be able to hear it with overdrive (or even heavy distortion). It sounds more 'open', a bit less 'tight'. Which are terms you have to see in your head or it's not helping

Also, semis sound better without amplification. (and I still need new pickups for my Artcore, it's my favourite guitar acoustically but it sucks plugged in )
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
yay! glad lots of people are bigging up the sheraton, i love mine, even prefer it to a 335 for playability.

they generally have less sustain and when playing with distortion they seem to give clarity to each note which is great.
Quote by jonnylad
yay! glad lots of people are bigging up the sheraton, i love mine, even prefer it to a 335 for playability.

they generally have less sustain and when playing with distortion they seem to give clarity to each note which is great.

i love my '98 sheraton, it really is a quality instrument!

what amp are you using? my sheraton sounds very different to any of my solidbodies.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm using some kind of a little peavy amp. I've gigged with both guitars and will admit that the semi-hollow sounded beautiful on a clean channel.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Quote by dxpaintball8000
so whats the deal with semi-hollows? How are they different from a solidbody other than the fact that they are semi-hollow? I hear the same sounds coming out of both my PRS SE solidbody and the Epiphone semi-hollow Sheriton in my room. I even see that the lead singer from Seether sports one and it sounds the same as a solidbody

If you don't hear the difference in sound I demand that you have your ears tested OR give the Epi to me OR ELSE.
Quote by EdawMail
If you don't hear the difference in sound I demand that you have your ears tested OR give the Epi to me OR ELSE.

That.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by jonnylad

Agreed.