I don't know if you've seen it, but Billy Corgan's panties are all in a bunch about artists not getting paid for their songs on the radio. I wrote a little something and I'd like to think what everyone thinks. It's a little long so bear with me.

-------------------------

I was reading on ultimate-guitar.com that Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins is pitching another bitch about how he thinks artists should get paid per play of their songs on the radio instead of the flat fee radios pay music publishers for their songs. And I was thinking... it may end up to be good for smaller bands and musicians. Because, smaller bands would charge less for their songs to be played. Then the larger 'better' [lamer] bands. And I think it could really create a community of local talent. I doubt it would ever happen. [for once I wish Billy Corgan success in his stupid life.] But, everybody was bitching about how stupid he is for it. They didn't realize it could be a good thing.

I don't know. I'd like to see something like that happen though. I think it'd be awesome. I mean.. the bands that aren't really big but people like could actually find more fans. And actually make a living being musicians. And the DJ's would actually get to choose songs they like. It could overall end up actually stimulating the economy. instead of, "here's a songlist. Play these songs in this order. Just say witty [not really] things in between every two songs." People would actually WANT to listen to the radio to hear either THEIR song or someone else's song. or just not to hear the same **** all day long. They'd want to listen to hear a new song. Their new favorite song.

Here's the kicker.

More people listening, higher profits for the people advertising. People actually being able to make a living being a musician. People actually embracing art.

So, Billy Corgan. In short, I hope you succeed so they stop playing your terrible music.
this is why the illustrious pharaoh ramses the third invented the independent radio station. that is what youre talking about, right?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by JonasStevens

Then the larger 'better' [lamer] bands.

Then the larger 'better' [lamer] bands what?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Once again, more citrus in my eye.
Damn these tasty oranges
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Sorry, charge less to play their songs than the larger [lamer] bands. (It's late.)

and I realize it's unlikely to happen. But, I think it's be really neat if music ended up saving the economy.

People coming together, going to shows because of a small town band they heard on a radio.

I realize there are independent music stations but if it was EVERY radio station. Just imagine.
Quote by JonasStevens

and I realize it's unlikely to happen. But, I think it's be really neat if music ended up saving the economy.

Astronomical fail. You think that every band is just going to feed their profits into the economy?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by JonasStevens

How is it that the radio stations likely ending up having to pay more than they currently are to play the songs people want to hear..... will save the economy?

Isn't that just likely to speed the downfall of radio stations?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I'm not even going to elaborate on this...

but this idea fails.

HARD.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
*reported*

Go put this in ur blog.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
People will actually WANT to listen to the radio. I don't know about you but I can't stand it. It's the same thing. Instead it'll be somewhere you go to hear something new. Something real. More people listening equal more people listening to commercials. More people listening to commercials equals more people buying products.

and if Bands are getting money they're going to buy things with that money.

So, yes, it will stimulate the economy.
But they wont.

People who listen to the radio, by and large, are interested in the music that the radio plays.

If the radio station ends up having to pay through the nose for people like Beyonce and whoever to be played, they may not do it.

You think that if mainstream radio starts playing smaller bands, the same number of people are going to listen? That comes across as a little to wishful for my thinking.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Exactly what carpi said.

How would it make them want to listen? I'm sure, if you're listening to a pop station, you wouldn't want to hear a black metal song, you'd want to hear pop.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by JonasStevens
Sorry, charge less to play their songs than the larger [lamer] bands. (It's late.)

People coming together, going to shows because of a small town band they heard on a radio.

I realize there are independent music stations but if it was EVERY radio station. Just imagine.

That is highly unlikely. I never like to say impossible (which in itself is a contradiction, but I digress), but the chances are very small.

To the italized part, Clear Channel have a chokehold on mainstream radio (and arenas/venues) like you wouldn't believe. They would kill their own grandmas before they allowed this.

But as big-headed and egotistical as Corgan is, this is a damn good idea. With the music biz having to adapt to the internet and a bad economy, it might the way of the future. I would hope so.
Quote by JonasStevens
Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins is pitching another bitch about how he thinks artists should get paid per play of their songs on the radio instead of the flat fee radios pay music publishers for their songs

I take nobody seriously who thinks this is acceptable use of the english language

I bid you good day, sir
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Last edited by Carswell98 at Mar 13, 2009,
this one time ......i went to the zoo......and i saw the animals.........and the animals were like...... .... .. ... .. .grr *headbangs maniacally*
Quote by metacarpi
But they wont.

People who listen to the radio, by and large, are interested in the music that the radio plays.

If the radio station ends up having to pay through the nose for people like Beyonce and whoever to be played, they may not do it.

You think that if mainstream radio starts playing smaller bands, the same number of people are going to listen? That comes across as a little to wishful for my thinking.

The general public likes to listen to what it's told to listen to. If radio stations change their content, listeners will begin to prefer that content.

The idea is that mainstream radio stations would probably crach and burn under such a system, thus giving rise to a multitude of smaller independent radio stations that can each market to limited demographics while getting cheap content from less famous bands that happen to appeal to those demographics. Maybe it would take the form of regionalism, maybe it would be genre based, there could be a lot of different approaches that fit under this model.

Of course this won't happen, and the idea of paying an artist for each play of a song is unreasonably complicated. The accounting measures that would have to go into a policy like this are enough to kill the whole idea alone, not to mention the existing monopolies and the amount of money it would take to convince the public that they like some new types of music.

The top 40 is hurting right now and it's going to get worse, so we will see new types of radio stations in the future and a new type of listening public. The whole thing won't have anything to do with pay per play licencing practices though.

Edit* and I understand everyone's hate on Billy Corgan, but no need to call his music ****ty. He might be an asshole, but the man knows how to write a good song.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Cheesemaster
Billy Corgan may be a whiney bitch but his songs kick ass

I don't think so.

Besides, his voice is insufferable. It's like he's taking a sandblaster to the chalkboard that is my brain.