Hi guys,

I think im going to buy an Epi Valve Junior head soon. Ive got 2 questions.

1. WITHOUT any mods, will it sound much better to my Vypyr 30? Im planning on getting the mods soon, but for the time being, will it be much of a difference?

I know the mods make the Epi a whole lot better than stock, so i will definately be getting them ASAP.

2. Will i be able to plug the Epi head into my Vypyr 30 speaker while i save up for a decent cab?

Planning on getting a decent cab so i wont have to buy more than one.

Thanks heaps in advance.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
What styles do you play? The valve junior won't do metal, but it will do blues and rock pretty well though.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I play a bit of everything, but not much metal, although i do plan on getting pedals in the future. Ive heard the VJ's take good to pedals... right?

Quote by Danyg
make sure to get a good cab
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
yeah i will. Thanks.

Does anyone know whether plugging the VJ head into the Vypyr 30 speaker will work for the time being?

Quote by Danyg
The answer to all your problem in 3.....2......1....Peavey 5150, Through a Basson Cab, and throw a Boss NS-2 noise gate and you got yourself pure GOLD ! imho of course
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
or a 5150 II with cab loaded with v30's and yeah defiantly a noise gate haha boss or isp
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
I'd look at a better amp personally. The VJ is crap on it's own in my opinion, only tolerable with pedals. Most of the typical mods don't make it much better either, again though my opinion.
1. Tone is subjective, but I think most would agree that pretty much any decent tube amp sounds better than a Vypyr...

2. The EVJ has 4, 8, and 16 Ohm speaker outs, so as long as the Vypyr speaker can be unplugged, it should work. Why not just saveup and buy the EVJ stack? The Vypyr speaker probably won't do much for the EVJ's tone...
Yeah i would look at a better amp, but ive got a small budget, i dont gig yet and i live in Australia... If theres any other amps around the VJ's price id have a look.

So noone knows if plugging the VJ head into the Vypyr speaker would work?

Edit: Above post, thanks heaps for the reply. Im going to get the VJ head, and get a better cab to go with it. Dont really want an 1x8 speaker. Vypyr speaker is just for while i save for a good cab. Thanks

Quote by Danyg
Last edited by DiizZ at Mar 13, 2009,
yes i have, but its also double the price of the VJ. (In australia anway)

Quote by Danyg
Quote by DiizZ
yeah i will. Thanks.

Does anyone know whether plugging the VJ head into the Vypyr 30 speaker will work for the time being?

It will work but you have to remember to unplug the vypyr from the speaker 1st, otherwise you will damage it.
Not taking any online orders.
Have you looked at other 5 watt tube amps? There's the Valveking Royal 8 from peavey which looks better then most of the 5 wattters minus the little giant, but its only 200. It has a gain knob and 2 inputs too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
As someone who owns both a Vypyr 15 and a Vjr head, I can tell you that the Vjr will not sound better unless you start putting pedals in front of it. You can use the Vypyr as a speaker cabinet, but you will need to make a custom speaker cable and be careful how it's wired up.
The VJ is pretty much a two trick pony. If you need versatility you may very well want to look elsewhere. Play with it before you buy it, it's not for everyone.

Quote by DiizZ
I play a bit of everything, but not much metal

Quote by BackSeatSuicide
The answer to all your problem in 3.....2......1....Peavey 5150

Still trying to wrap my head around that logic.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
The stock vjr is not very useful and doesnt sound that great. It takes some mods to improve its versatility and tone. Some mods can be cheap, resister values, caps, gain/vol mod, tone control. I have my Vjr set up with the power amp in switch and use it in stereo with another power amp run off a master tube preamp. So preamp mods are not really relevant in mine. The stock OT is not very good at all and really needs a quality OT to get good tone out of it, hammond 125ESE is 55$ not a cheap mod, dont want to think about the cost in AUS. Yea your peavey could be modded so the speaker could be used. Doubt a 5 watt vjr is gonna blow the speaker.
Quote by Tackleberry
The stock vjr is not very useful and doesnt sound that great. It takes some mods to improve its versatility and tone. Some mods can be cheap, resister values, caps, gain/vol mod, tone control. I have my Vjr set up with the power amp in switch and use it in stereo with another power amp run off a master tube preamp. So preamp mods are not really relevant in mine. The stock OT is not very good at all and really needs a quality OT to get good tone out of it, hammond 125ESE is 55$ not a cheap mod, dont want to think about the cost in AUS. Yea your peavey could be modded so the speaker could be used. Doubt a 5 watt vjr is gonna blow the speaker.

+1
i would personally rather have a vyper for practicing instead of a valve junior.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.