So he's got about $1500 saved up for a new amp he's looking at a Line 6 HD100 and 412VS Half Stack.
Should he buy it or look to some other companys like Randall or Mesa Boogie (used Mesa, no way someone gets that wattage for $1500 in a Mesa).

That being said what would be the best alternitive for him?
Styles of music he plays are Metal , Rock, Alternitive, and Hard Rock.
He also has a line 6 pod.
SO? Any good amp choices!
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Used Mesa's, Orange Rockerverbs, Marshalls... In my opinion Line 6 is only good for digital stuff.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
NO line 6, trust me i have one and they suck.

Used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV

/thread
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Marshall rules. Mesa too, its just crazy expensive

oh, and NO line 6
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Used Vetta II if he want a Line6
else
everything of these used:
Mesa Boogies
Marshall JCM800, JVM
Orange
Peavey
Krank

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Okay then tanks guys I'll remind him to avoid the Line 6.......I too am in the must kill Line6 club I had had two of them from a friend gave them back cause they both blew up one was a 60watt and the other was 30 watt..
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Unherolike
Okay then tanks guys I'll remind him to avoid the Line 6.......I too am in the must kill Line6 club I had had two of them from a friend gave them back cause they both blew up one was a 60watt and the other was 30 watt..

It's the spider that is the problem! The Flextone and HD147 and Vetta II are great amps. GOD I HATE STUPID BANDWAGOON JUMPING PEOPLE!

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by TOMMYB22
NO line 6, trust me i have one and they suck.

Used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV

/thread

No.
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Quote by Unherolike
So he's got about $1500 saved up for a new amp he's looking at a Line 6 HD100 and 412VS Half Stack.
Should he buy it or look to some other companys like Randall or Mesa Boogie (used Mesa, no way someone gets that wattage for $1500 in a Mesa).

That being said what would be the best alternitive for him?
Styles of music he plays are Metal , Rock, Alternitive, and Hard Rock.
He also has a line 6 pod.
SO? Any good amp choices!

Ok, first off, 100 watts is overkill. the most you or your friend is ever going to need is 50 watts. you will never get the amp past 3.

for 1500, he could get a Randall MTS amp, probably a used Mesa F-50, an used marshall JCM combo or a Traynor.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
randall mts amps rule, u can change the modules and sound like whatever you want
also look into carvin amps, legacy and legacy 2 are very versitile amps and dont cost that much for what you get
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Jhachey22
Ok, first off, 100 watts is overkill. the most you or your friend is ever going to need is 50 watts. you will never get the amp past 3.

for 1500, he could get a Randall MTS amp, probably a used Mesa F-50, an used marshall JCM combo or a Traynor.

100 watts isn't really overkill.

when I play out, my volume is on 6 or 7 and I still get great cleans. Gotta love the headroom
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by RHCPFitz
line 6 spider III 15 watt

/thread

Not funny.......
TS, look at all of these used:
Mesa Boogie Mark III with Mesa Rectifier 4x12 (used)
Approximate Price: $1250
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo or Mark IV head with Mesa Rectifier 2x12 (if you can find that in your range)
Approximate Price: $1400 for Combo, $1450, for head and cab
Marshall JCM800/900, boosted with Maxon OD-808, with Marshall 1960AV
Approximate Price: $1450
Peavey 3120 Half Stack (new), ditch the free cab and buy a boost, an EQ pedal, and a good 2x12/4x12 with V30's
Approxamite Price:
$1700 (budget goes up around $250 for selling the cab)
Peavey 5150 Combo, A/B'ed with Roland JC-120, put V30's in the 5150 and G12T-75's in the JC
Approximate Price: $1400

Good luck!!!!
Thanks Bullet thats a very detailed list.

@helsinki: I don't hate Line 6 persay..........I just have a select history with them in personal use and other bands that I've played with have had experience with models other than Spider none being good experience.
Quote by Jhachey22

If 100watts is overkill, so's 50 because it's not much quieter.

For $1500 it's absolutely insane to be looking at Line 6, not because Line 6 is bad but because there's so much out there for the price that's much, much better. Go used and get a Marshall, Mesa, Budda, Peavey, Fender... hell, there are probably 2 dozen good amps in this price range.

IMO you can't go wrong picking up a 1960A cab for something like $400 used, and then spending $700 to $1200 on a good head (Marshall DSl/TSL/JTM, Peavey JSX, Budda SD, etc).
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Get a jcm800 :P

stay away from the new marshalls (dsl's, tsl's), they have better cleans, but you'll regret not being able to get that killer distortion we all grew up with and love soooooooooo much
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by MXFNCK
Mesa too, its just crazy expensive

Overpriced more like
Quote by carrick
Overpriced more like

I don't think so. At least not in the US. Diezels are overpriced in the US. But in Europe it is good priced. Expansive but still reasonable.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
haha, well they certainly ain't worth the money over here
out of interest the the price on a Deizel in the US?
3000 $ upward used.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Ok for all of you uneducated posters in regards to the HD100 amp. Everyone feels the need to bash Line 6 and say that they're "overpriced" or just flat out suck. I'm just going to let it be known, I use one with the short board and have access to edit parameters on nearly every setting on this beast.

Plus #1 - The Effects that it comes with.
It allows you to use up to 7 effects at a time, it says three but you forget that with the shortboard you have wah, compressor access, a boost/top end access and a volume pedal - and to be honest, when the hell would you really want to use more than that. Built in compressor that can be edited to change parameters with each channel change and with the short board you get 24 channnels. The only reason people say that the effects suck on these things is because they just simply aren't educated on how to use it. You can change the reverb from a cathedral to a closet. There's a boost available on each channel, and with some tinkering you can get ANY sound out of this thing you could possibly ever need, there is only a few things missing - Octave Effect, a Whammy Pedal Effect, Harmonizer.

Plus #2 - The Amp Models that are on it.
Seriously Line 6 does a really good job with their amp modeling. They're remakes of the rectifier from Mesa and the Insane channel really is perfect for Hard Rock/Metal. With just a few tweaks on the eq and the proper compression/reverb settings you can get any sound, period.

What really sets this amp apart from the Solid-State Spiders, which really sound like garbage at louder volumes - and also in my opinion makes them better than ANY amp that Line 6 currently makes it the fact that it has a Bogner Tube amp in it.

Now this is what I've done to the tube amp section in it to give you some insight.

1) Took out the 12ax7's and replaced them with Mesa-Boogie's
2) Took out the 6l6gc's and replaced them with Mesa-Boogie 6L6GC STR 430's

Here's how I run this head:

Gibson Les Paul Standard with Bill Lawrence 500XL bridge & Seymour Duncan Slash Sig Neck - Shure Wireless unit - All Monster Cables - Morley Bad Horsie Wah - Maxon OD808 - Boss SD-1 - Boss NS-2 - BBE Sonic Maximizer Into the HD100 running two cabinets for stereo, Mesa-Boogie oversized with Celestion G12K85's closed back & a Mesa-Boogie standard sized cabinet with Black Shadow Celestion 90's 3/4 closed back.

Sounds great, once I got the new tubes in this amp the thing came to life - better high's and better lows. Now the actual price they sell these amps for is about $700, add in the floorboard and the new tubes and I've got about $1000 into this amp. However I have a much simpler set-up now, more gizmo's and gadgets than what I know to do with and I couldn't be happier.

Amps i've run in the past have 2, maybe 3 good sounds you can get out of them. I've used Boogie Triple Rec's - Peavey 6505+'s - XXX's - Marshall JCM800 & 900's and to be honest with you - i can get the tone from any one of those amps to come out of this thing, just takes a little time and usually just an overdrive pedal.

Hope that helps anyone who is actually thinking about purchasing one of these amps, you will not be disappointed. Make sure to keep this thing in a well ventilated area (ie. do not put it in a completely sealed road box and run it lol) does put off some heat, but then again that's why tubes work so well once they're warmed up.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Used Splawn Competition and a 2x12
/Thread

No but seriously, What kind of bands is he into?

Damn you.