I'm going for a classic punk rock tone, trying to get a range from a Steve Jones sound to a modern hardcore tone. I know I want it loud, with screaming tone with lots of sustain and bite.

I have a LP junior and I've settled on one of two amps (although I will definitely listen to other recommendations). Either a VOX AC-30 or a Fender Twin-Reverb.

As far as distortion pedals go, I'm pretty much in the dark. I know what I'm doing with the guitar end of tone, but when it comes to amps and effects, I'm only just now learning and doing research on what I'm looking for.

Any help would be awesome. =)
Fulltone OCD is your best bet for the pedals. That or a MI Audio Crunchbox.

Budget?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Ditch amps. I'd LOOOOOOOOVE either amp but they are totally wrong for what you want.
Don't use pedals to get your main tone, get an amp more suited to what you want.

Marshall/Orange/Peavey etc.
Im not really your man when it comes to those amps so get someone else's advice, but both of those amps you listed are not suited for that music.
Quote by Benjibum

Or in Final Fantasy terms, think of him as always casting Reflect on himself. The only way to hurt him is to cast Reflect on yourself and bounce Firaga off yourself.

What a load of rubbish. Just punch him in the ****ing shins.
Budget is not a huge issue. Don't want to spend much more than $4,000 though. But then again, I'm not looking for any massive rig. Just something in the band practice and small gig range.

I'll definitely check out those pedals though. I'm looking at the OCD right now and it's looking really promising.
holy crap 4k? You can get almost any amplifier you want with that.

Sorry for no advice, i dont know of this.
Yeah I'm deployed and combat pay is ridiculous so I decided to go ahead and spring for a dream rig. Something very simple and raw with lots of power and face-melting intensity, hahaha. But seriously.
I just picked up a Traynor YCV50 Blue with JJ tubes and a ProCo Rat for playing the exact same sort of music, and it works just great. The YCV50 has a great Marshally tone to it. Of course, I'm no expert, and my budget was much more limited than yours.
OK a quick lesson..
Punk should be played through a beaten up piece of $%& amp with blown speakers preferably stolen and soaked in beer and vomit/piss/snot etc.. no pedals because they're for poseurs and w^&*($
Shut up and play your guitar!
i think it'd be worth checking out some orange amps in that price range. they're bad ass, just like punk.
orange amps 100%
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
I would recommend a Marshall JCM 900 with a 4x12 1960 cab. You dont need a pedal with that to get most your tones. You could throw the OCD in front of it for more gain, or something like a fulltone GT-500 for everythig including more metalish tones.

If you want the "brutal" newer styles of metal , this amp probably wont nail it, but for older punk, newer punk, hard rock and most metal it is the best, imho. If you go used you could get this set-up for around 1200-1500 bucks. Just something to consider, there are many other good choices out there, I am just somewhat partial to Marshalls.

By the way, thanks for serving.
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 13, 2009,
yah a JCM900 would be perfect.

then again i dont know what some of you guys have against pedals, i would have gone with the twin get an attenuator and some pedals to go along with it just cause i know how bomb twins sound.

but the JCM900 would be the ideal way to go for punk stuff.
my friends in a punk band (who are signed) use an orange rockerverb halfstack and a jcm 900 halfstack. they are awesome. try out both, but the jcm 900 won't break the bank so badly.
Hell yeah thanks for the suggestions. After reading some of this and checking it out, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Orange. Checked out some demos on youtube and stuff and they sound ridiculously good.

Now for speakers. I don't see the point in buying an Orange cab, because I'm assuming I'd be paying a lot for the name, and I'm also assuming there are some awesome speakers out there for far less. Any suggestions on this?
I have never played an Orange, I should change that fact, I have heard good things.
Quote by Chetbango
I have never played an Orange, I should change that fact, I have heard good things.

I definitely plan on trying out that JCM900/1960a combo though, before I buy for good. The price difference is huge so I'd be an idiot to not at least give it a chance.
I like Mesa cabs myself. People here also have a lot of good things to say about Avatar cabs.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
oranges sound sweet through mesa cabs, or you could get an avatar contemporary cab with V30's which is basically a budget orange cab.
if you're looking for a TRUE punk tone the only way to go is an older marshall 1/2 stack and a gibson
sorry, but that's that
don't even think about effects
we're talking about TRUE punk
actually the marshall/ gibson rule is for old school hardcore

i imagine an orange would work quite well though
Last edited by sethp at Mar 13, 2009,
I'd say a JCM900 and a tele or les paul. Oranges are good but a bit overrated... they don't do anything a Vox or Marshall won't do. They're kind of in between the two.

Honestly, the AC30 is a great choice too, just not necessarily for classic punk.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
buy a JCM900 and match it with an orange cab, play with high gain, high treble, mids around 5- 7 and the bass around 3-4 and you'll get a nice old school punk sound, this way you cover both orange and marshall if you got the money to spend, as far as effects go if your playing punk you shouldn't really need to go from clean to a high gain sound well for old punk anyways i can't say for new stuff don't really listen to it thats my how i managed to get a good sound playing over the summer when i got the chance to play with that rig set up
Quote by sethp
if you're looking for a TRUE punk tone the only way to go is an older marshall 1/2 stack and a gibson
sorry, but that's that
don't even think about effects
we're talking about TRUE punk
actually the marshall/ gibson rule is for old school hardcore

i imagine an orange would work quite well though

Yeah. Classic punk, well for classic anything, I wouldn't look into a high gain amp. Maybe a Bassman Reissue slightly cranked, or with an overdrive. Maybe add a distortion pedal for hardcore.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦