I'm going for a classic punk rock tone, trying to get a range from a Steve Jones sound to a modern hardcore tone. I know I want it loud, with screaming tone with lots of sustain and bite.

I have a LP junior and I've settled on one of two amps (although I will definitely listen to other recommendations). Either a VOX AC-30 or a Fender Twin-Reverb.

As far as distortion pedals go, I'm pretty much in the dark. I know what I'm doing with the guitar end of tone, but when it comes to amps and effects, I'm only just now learning and doing research on what I'm looking for. Although I read Steve Jones used an MXR distortion pedal, but the reviews aren't very optimistic.

Any help would be awesome. =)
You'd probably have more luck posting this in the guitar gear forum.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
u want to roll off a fair bit of bass, have a lot of bit of mids and treble, with a bit more treble than mids.
Quote by Xachary
I have a LP junior and I've settled on one of two amps (although I will definitely listen to other recommendations). Either a VOX AC-30 or a Fender Twin-Reverb.

As far as distortion pedals go, I'm pretty much in the dark. I know what I'm doing with the guitar end of tone, but when it comes to amps and effects, I'm only just now learning and doing research on what I'm looking for. Although I read Steve Jones used an MXR distortion pedal, but the reviews aren't very optimistic.

In my opinion you can get a decent punk sound without pedals.......

Mick Jones from The Clash played a LP Junior (at the beginning), Steve Jones had a Twin Reverb, therefore you can´t be wrong with them.
About pedals and stuff like that there´s been a long discussion in the gear thread a month ago, it might be good to look there
^Nice cover. And the Peavey would be a good choice for a much lower price than a Twin Reverb or a AC-30. I don't know if he'll want the gain dozened though. Steve Jones didn't have that much distortion.

Speaking of that, I think Steve Jones just used the Distortion+ as an occasional boost. His tone really came from cranking up the Twin Reverb. You probably don't want to play that loud. And he used Gauss speakers which gave him a very mid-range heavy sound. A stock Twin Reverb will be much more trebly. The Distortion+ has a bass cut as you increase the gain on it, so using it as the only source of distortion with a trebly Twin Reverb would give you a very thin tone. If you decided on a Twin Reverb, you would be better off with an overdrive pedal with a mid boost. Something like a Fulltone OCD would be a good choice. Possibly something like a Tube Screamer but maybe with more gain.

AC-30 isn't a great choice IMO. They're not going to give you a Steve Jones sound or a hardcore sound. They have a chimey sound that I don't associate with punk. It could work, but you wouldn't be able to imitate other people's tones very well.
Ok, thanks for all the advice. I've decided to spring on an Orange thunderverb 50, but I don't really see the point in shelling out for an Orange cab, since I'm assuming I'd be paying a LOT for the name. Any suggestions on quality speakers for quality price? Bang for buck? lol
Quote by Xachary
Ok, thanks for all the advice. I've decided to spring on an Orange thunderverb 50, but I don't really see the point in shelling out for an Orange cab, since I'm assuming I'd be paying a LOT for the name. Any suggestions on quality speakers for quality price? Bang for buck? lol

Check out Carvin. It's good, and they cut the middleman out by selling direct so it's cheap.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/amplifiers.php
Last edited by Captain Insano at Mar 13, 2009,
punk (at least old school) is about trashy try a digitech grunge lots of gain and treble and scooped mids. Its cheap mean and tough punk rock style
^But he's trying to emulate particular players' sounds. Sounds that don't have lots of gain and definitely don't have scooped mids.
Ok, where the Christopher Biggins did my post go?

I definitely posted a reply, and it's not here.

Oh well. To summarise, the Steve Jones sound is an orchestration made up of 7 guitar tracks, so you can't really pull it off with one.

But if you still want to try, use high gauge strings, and do heavy and light picks, eg. Anarchy is played:

C...........................................................F........E....... (or w/e the chords are)
DA da da da DA da da da DA da da da DA da DA da
Quote by rude_boy13
punk (at least old school) is about trashy try a digitech grunge lots of gain and treble and scooped mids. Its cheap mean and tough punk rock style

See this post right here? Do the exact opposite of what it says.

Quote by Swap-Meet
Peavey classic with gain dozened + les paul = p0nx I am in the process of uploading the video evidence of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnegSTrw4i8 = proof I speak no lies

If he's got the budget to be considering AC30s and Twin Reverbs, I wouldn't recommend he get an intermediate amp. At his price he can get something much better.

TS, you said you were looking for a distortion pedal. If that's what you would prefer rather than an overdrive I'd like to recommend the following pedals. They're all terrific sounding for punk.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-English-Muffn-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=153335

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HTDUAL-Tube-Dual-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=152010

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pro-Co-RAT2-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151501

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX03-Twin-Tube-Classic-Preamp-Pedal?sku=159341
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Last edited by RizzoWashburn at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by rude_boy13

Punk uses lots of mids, only good pedal that scoops the mids and can still pull of that punk RAWK tone, is the MUFFZ

The DOD grunge pedal is so ****ty, I'll sell it to anyone here for 15$
i dont know what you all are talking about whats punk rock about spending 220 dollars on an effects pedal if you dont like you grunge pedal ur just not using it right man. simpler solution to paying lots of money ds-1 one pedal REALLY LOUD