I have a dynamic mic plugged into my mixer and since im going to be plugging a condenser mic its going to need an external power source , so if i plug this into my mixer and turn on the phantom power , will it blow my dynamic mic?

p.s. I want both plugged in and functioning at the same time
It shouldn't cause any problems. I read thing a while back when someone posted a similar thread, about some possible potential problems, but I've always done it and never had any problems, nor has anyone else I know.
There is poetry in despair.
IT should be fine as long as the mic is wired properly, the only time it's bad is with ribbon mics, which usually get fried from phantom power.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Don't turn phantom power on or off while mics/speakers/amps are on. Just keep it turned on at all times. And, it will not affect dynamic mics.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Don't turn phantom power on or off while mics/speakers/amps are on. Just keep it turned on at all times. And, it will not affect dynamic mics.

Your supposed to only turn it on after you have plugged your condensers in.

So, don't leave it turned on all the time, because you run a real risk of ruining any condensers you have.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
it is a good idea to switch the monitors off when you power it up though... that super loud pop is not good for your speakers.

Last.fm
Never heard a pop when turning phantom power on?

I do hear a little one when I turn my desk on, but not phantom.

Weird.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
probably depends on what sort of interface/preamp you are using, some of them pop some of them don't.

Last.fm
Fair enough.

So..

Plug mics in > turn monitors off > turn desk/interface on > turn phantom on > monitors on?
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
yeah that works, and you can just check the input meter to see if it pops or not, if it doesn't then you don't need to worry about shutting off the monitors.

Last.fm
So, we could say that

Plug mics in > turn monitors off > turn desk/interface on > turn phantom on > monitors on

is a fact?

Yes. FACT.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I had a response to this very topic, but VBulletin messed up and e-mailed a mod or something. I have no clue what it said...

My guitar tracher owns a recording studio, and he told me that you can leave it on all the time, but just dont turn your speakers on before the mixer. It wont blow the dynamic mics, just amke sure volume on everything is off, and the mics power swithc is not on.
..I was watching my death.
I have read a fair few manuals that suggest connecting the mics to the desk before turning on phantom power. Do what you want guys, but I'm sticking to my old ways.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)