Im wondering if paint will stick/stay and what paint to use on my squier acoustic guitar.

It has one of those glossy finishes. Which Is how I drew a design out on it with a whiteboard marker. (gloss finish has its advantages! but i'm worried it will have its disadvantages too!)

anyway anyone done this? know if im approaching epic win or fail???

heres how its looking so far

Last edited by tands at Mar 13, 2009,
Yes, but it butchers the tone.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
you will need a light sand so that you can gloss, satin or lacquer over the top to protect your drawing.
It does depend on the paint. If you do a satin or gloss, it won't matter too much. Lacquer will hurt it though.
i would say (like joel) a satin or a gloss should go on nicely maybe 2-3 coats with a wet sand in between
well it depends. Will your drawing be able to make it through the sanding?
If you sand it with really light stuff like 1000 grit or something, then go over your drawing again then gloss or satin it, then you should be right
nah the drawing will not making it for sure, its just a whiteboard marker on a gloss finish right now so I can rub it off with my finger, I think the strategy will be sand like 5 cm of the drawing off, then redraw it as I go sort of strategy lol
Last edited by tands at Mar 13, 2009,
Well, isn't this guitar that one with the painted weirdo fretboard? It doesn't really have buckets of tone to start with, so you're not gonna damage it too badly with a clearcoat.
The guitar probably has a polyurethane finish on there already and it is probably on the thick side so you you aren't going to be able to do much worse. So you will NOT butcher the tone.

Go to town with some sand paper and take the clear coat off completely. Then get some shellac and put a light coat on the top. Shellac is what is used for french polishing in a lot of the upper end guitars, it is also a thin finish that will allow the sound board to vibrate freely. After you have your shellac on there, get a balloon and inflate it in the sound hole and tie it off. This will keep the paint from getting inside the guitar. Lay down a light coat of primer or two, level sand it. Redraw your picture, and then finish with a couple coats of a spray on clear.

Basically you just have to refinish the top, you can paint and such over the original finish but I would advise against this. Also, you probably aren't going to change the tone much anyways I wouldn't worry about it. Also, think of things this way, how many people do you know listen to a song and go wow, that guitar has awesome tone... most of the people out there don't pay attention or have no idea what to listen for.
Its got polyurethane on it?
They actually put that on acoustics?

Well then TS, my bad. It won't butcher the tone.
Quote by Baby Joel
Its got polyurethane on it?
They actually put that on acoustics?

Well then TS, my bad. It won't butcher the tone.

They poly everything. The only things getting lacquer is the high end stuff or the ones that specifically say it. And then French Polish has been a traditional acoustic guitar finish for the high end stuff. I had a Yamaha that cost me 200 bucks, and a Simon and Patrick that cost me 800. The Yamaha has a thick poly finish the SnP has a thing polish finish of what ever they use and I prefer the sound of my cheep Yamaha. So all this stereo type of OMG it's poly there for it much be bad is bogus.
It's not bogus, but it deadens the natural tone of the guitar.
Quote by Baby Joel
It's not bogus, but it deadens the natural tone of the guitar.

If you read what I said, you would see that I am write. Just because something is covered in Poly doesn't mean it is bad. Like I said, i prefer the sound of my thich poly coated acoustic to my other one. And I think deaden is a bad word, changes is more appropriate.