Recently, I've been getting a lot of broken strings, and I've noticed that they break around the bridge. I understand this is a problem with the bridge, but I'm not sure what exactly is happening, and how I can fix it. I can't get to a decent guitar tech without buying a plane ticket. Help me out?
Quote by DevilsDance76
rigeljs is on the money...

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
Yep, but I won't get my guitar back until Jesus comes.
Quote by DevilsDance76

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
There's nothing about it.
Quote by DevilsDance76

at the bridge or around the birdge? is it a trem? never heard of the prs 513. try filing the holes a little better if its a TOM bridge and if its a trem it probably has a sharp point on one of the holders. also same string every time or different?
Its right at the bridge, and its a trem. Its been the b and e strings lately. I know these are the ones that usually break, but i just replaced my strings last week. And I replaced them because exactly the same thing happened.
You're probably right about the sharp point, but how do I take care of it?
Quote by DevilsDance76

Wow! I looked at the PRS 513 on the PRS Website and it's a beauty! The bridge looks very close to old style Fender saddles which have a smooth, rounded crown for the string to rest on. I can;t see that detail on the site though! Are your saddles nicely rounded over like that with no grooves filed into them?
SRV used to break strings at the bridge regulary due to the angle they exited the hole in the tremolo block. The strings actually rubbed on the strings exit hole sides behind the saddles and this caused them to break prematurely. WHen you're strung up, do the strings exit the holes cleanly, clearing the hole edge and then pass over the saddles?

See new pic below
Attachments:
string.gif
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Mar 13, 2009,
Thanks, this thing really is my baby.
No, you're right, they do seem to be in contact with the hole edge, but it looks like the bridge is designed for this to happen. The hole is curved, and almost transitions to the saddle, and looks like this:
Quote by DevilsDance76

Wait, no, youre right. That is how the bridge looks. So how do I fix my problem?
Quote by DevilsDance76