I am starting to get into solos, slow ones at first, but getting there. Anyway, which pedal would be my best bet to get a nice full sound instead of the shallow sound with just a distortion or overdrive pedal? I was looking at a chorus, reverb, or delay. Which would be my best bet?

I currently have Blackheart Little Giant amp, Hot Head Distortion pedal, Tone Driver Overdrive pedal.

Thanks.

edit: Sorry if this belongs in the GG&A forum, please move if it does.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Last edited by Rio38 at Mar 13, 2009,
I would go for the delay...it will add a lot of depth to your solos. However, the MXR 10-band EQ works great for boosting solos too...you can boost a certain part of the spectrum, volume, gain, etc.
What you could try do is switch pickups and turn down your tone control this gets a more warmer crisp sound but as for the pedals, i suppose you would need a reverb pedal to get that full on effect

Chorus really isnt used for lead work its more of a clean effect like on GnR Paradise City Intro

But try the pick up switch and tone control first

EDIT: as stated above the delay is also a good pedal
Both Delay and reverb are sound widening effects
Last edited by Martindecorum at Mar 13, 2009,
also, the fact you are running through one 12" speaker isnt helping create a "full" sound.

but, try a typical clean boost, anything from a EHX LPB-1 or MXR microamp to a higher end (catalinbread, MI Audio, zvex) will help add that little extra 'something' to your sound.
wah pedal! duh!
haha, just kidding...........sort of.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
wah pedal! duh!
haha, just kidding...........sort of.
Daron Malakian and Kirk Hammett would disagree.

But no, delay is going to be the one that'll go farthest toward a full lead tone. Some of these guys are suggesting a bigger amp, a lot of bigger amps have onboard delay. Look into it.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I would say delay definitely.

Or a wah, it kind of spices up solo's a little.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

But no, delay is going to be the one that'll go farthest toward a full lead tone. Some of these guys are suggesting a bigger amp, a lot of bigger amps have onboard delay. Look into it.

name a nice "big amp" with onboard delay, please.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
no nooo shhhhh.....i'm trying to keep a straight face until he answers.......

Oh my bad...*snickers*

I can only think of one myself...
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

I'm thinking he means reverb?

Everyone makes mistakes right?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Last edited by Julz127 at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
I would go for the delay...it will add a lot of depth to your solos. However, the MXR 10-band EQ works great for boosting solos too...you can boost a certain part of the spectrum, volume, gain, etc.

I would agree with that. Some reverb, delay, and some eq'ing can really make a difference in the soloing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH8Wk-zQyE&feature=channel_page
Roland does it a lot. Like the AC-90, it's pretty good size, two twelve inch speakers. I don't know if that particular one'd fit your style of music though. And modeling amps, I know the Peavey Vypyr 120 has delay, and it's a 120 watt tube amp, though it's a bit pricey. Why the popcorn?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Mar 13, 2009,
A delay pedal setup right or a reverb pedal obviously, but also a flanger can be used with a subtle setting to add a bit of depth. I like this sometimes with clean passages and it sounds great just make sure you turn down the regen knob. A phaser on the slowest setting will also make it sound more full. Easiest answer is still a delay pedal or reverb.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Kick on the woman tone.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Roland does it a lot. Like the AC-90, it's pretty good size, two twelve inch speakers. I don't know if that particular one'd fit your style of music though. And modeling amps, I know the Peavey Vypyr 120 has delay, and it's a 120 watt tube amp, though it's a bit pricey. Why the popcorn?

see - "nice" amps. and the AC 90 is an acoustic/PA amp, not an electric amp.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
see - "nice" amps. and the AC 90 is an acoustic/PA amp, not an electric amp.

I said it might not fit him, you just asked for examples. If he doesn't want to go with the bigger ones, he could get a Cube. I know the Cube 60 has a delay knob, and everyone here seems to love 'em.

What's wrong with the Vypyr 120?
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
I said it might not fit him, you just asked for examples. If he doesn't want to go with the bigger ones, he could get a Cube. I know the Cube 60 has a delay knob, and everyone here seems to love 'em.

What's wrong with the Vypyr 120?

i'll just leave it at 'tone is subjective'
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i'll just leave it at 'tone is subjective'
Alright, that's cool. Do you have anything to say about the Cube?
It'd be cheaper to just get a delay pedal though.

Also, that's a pretty freaking nice Strat you got there. I like the gold hardware, but if I were you I'd put a black kit on it as opposed to the white/tortoise shell. That's what I have on mine. :]
Quote by eyebanez333

+1. I love my delay. deep reverb helps too, but not for all kinds of music
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by eyebanez333
Oh my bad...*snickers*

I can only think of one myself...

Vetta II
Flextone II
H&K Switchblade
Some of the older XXX's had onboard effects
Bogner Alchemist

Can't really think of many more
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Also, that's a pretty freaking nice Strat you got there. I like the gold hardware, but if I were you I'd put a black kit on it as opposed to the white/tortoise shell. That's what I have on mine. :]

why thank you . i'm keeping them white to match the fret markers, but my next strat (if i get another burst) will have a black pickguard with cream knobs/pup covers/trem tip, etc.

and to not be spam, how about a chorus, with full depth and width, but a really slow rate to add a full sound?
I thought about recommending a chorus as well. Forgot to say it when i went on the amp with effects hunt.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio