I just recently got my hands on a craigslist Peavey Triple XXX 2x12 combo amp. For some reason when i have either one of the crunchy channels on, i get this buzzing noise coming out of the amp whenever i play a D on the 3rd string of my guitar. Sounds like something is rattling around in the amp, like a tube is bad or something.

I'm certain that its not an issue with the guitar itself. It sounds like a rattling noise or a vibration noise, sorta like if you put a glass on your desk against a computer speaker and it makes that vibration noise from the vibrations....lol...i dont know how to describe it other than that....

So i'm wondering if it could be the tubes. I'm new to tube amps and i'm not quite certain how this thing works yet. If i was to change out the tubes, does anyone have reccomendations on new ones?

Also, do tubes normally glow blue?...theyre kinda cool. Why does this amp have a standby and a power switch?
well i dont know about the tubes but i can tell you about the standby and power swtich.

this is the order you want to turn your amp on... 1st) power switch, then wait about 30 seconds to have the amp warm up, or even more but if your in a hurry i say wait about 30 seconds. 2nd) then turn on the standby switch

when shutting it off first turn off the standby switch....give the amp a couple of minutes to cool down and then shut off the power switch.
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
It has a standby and a power so you don't have to warm up the tubes every time you want to play it. So you can leave the power switch on, the standby on and kind of give the tubes a break every once in a while without having to completely power off. I'm not an expert on amp buzzing, but if it's in your room and you have it connected in with lots of other things in the same power strip, that could cause buzzing. Also radio frequency's like cell phones sometimes cause buzzing. Or a poorly wired club/house could cause an amp buzz as well.
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
Quote by psycadelicart
It has a standby and a power so you don't have to warm up the tubes every time you want to play it. So you can leave the power switch on, the standby on and kind of give the tubes a break every once in a while without having to completely power off. I'm not an expert on amp buzzing, but if it's in your room and you have it connected in with lots of other things in the same power strip, that could cause buzzing. Also radio frequency's like cell phones sometimes cause buzzing. Or a poorly wired club/house could cause an amp buzz as well.

Perhaps my poorly wired basement. that makes a lot of sense actually.

So is it possible to blow the tubes or something since they are glass if you power it on too quickly when they are cold?
Last edited by CudOfCow at Mar 13, 2009,
Won't blow up glass! Tubes require heat in order to emit electrons, the standby switch allows the filaments in the tubes to have power and pre-warm before the plate volatge is applied. It's less stressfull electrically on the tubes this way!
Questions.... does the buzzing only happen when you strike notes? If you mute the strings on your guitar with your hand do you still hear anything?
Induced noise (power supply or interference) will still be there when you mute. If you get buzzing only when playing it could be bad tubes or damaged speakers.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Won't blow up glass! Tubes require heat in order to emit electrons, the standby switch allows the filaments in the tubes to have power and pre-warm before the plate volatge is applied. It's less stressfull electrically on the tubes this way!
Questions.... does the buzzing only happen when you strike notes? If you mute the strings on your guitar with your hand do you still hear anything?
Induced noise (power supply or interference) will still be there when you mute. If you get buzzing only when playing it could be bad tubes or damaged speakers.

Yes, i only get the buzzing when playing certain notes. On other notes, it sounds fine and when muting it is silent. The buzzing noise seems to be coming from the back of the amp, not through the speakers. Almost like something physical is buzzing inside of it.
I suggest you check to see if both of the speaker's screws that attach the speaker to the front of the amp are tight. I've had speakers loosen out over time. Also check to see that all of the tubes are seated firmly - "in" all the way. Don't touch them when they are hot obviously, let them cool down.

Do you now understand the steps to turning the amp on and off and what standby does?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by CudOfCow
Yes, i only get the buzzing when playing certain notes. On other notes, it sounds fine and when muting it is silent. The buzzing noise seems to be coming from the back of the amp, not through the speakers. Almost like something physical is buzzing inside of it.

then it sounds to me like its a loose screw, haha.

Seriousyl, also check to see if its the same notes that buzz each time.

if so, then your problem is something physically loose, and I'd say turn off the amp, and look around tightning screws and everything else
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Yep i understand how to turn on and off now. Power ON, wait, Standby ON. - Standby Off, wait, Power Off.

I'll check the components today when i get home to see if they are loose.
Last edited by CudOfCow at Mar 13, 2009,