OK.
So today i went to guitar store to pick up my New Razorback 7 in white, just shipped in from Sydney.

Well, i thought i knew how to tune a floyd, until i actually tried. No matter how many times i try to tune the thing, it just goes out....
I had it pretty good before i tightened the locking nuts on the headstock....thats when it all just went insane.

I'm guessing i played around with it too much so i think i need to re-set and rebalance the bridge.

Basically, what i did was....
#1: Release Locking nuts and set fine tuners to 50%
#2: Used Machine heads to tighten strings (Order was 7, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4)
#3: Repeated until was all in tune.
#4: Locked the nuts on the headstock.
BANG ALL STRINGS OUT OF TUNE.
#5: Tried to retune using fine tuners.....fail.

What am i doing wrong?
You seem to be doing it right...the strings will go sharp when you lock the nut down...but thats when you should use the fine tuners. Maybe don't leave the fine tuners at 50%...leave more room to bring the pitch down once you lock down the nut.
Quote by eyebanez333
You seem to be doing it right...the strings will go sharp when you lock the nut down...but thats when you should use the fine tuners. Maybe don't leave the fine tuners at 50%...leave more room to bring the pitch down once you lock down the nut.

Even when i use the fine tuners though, and i tune them all correctly, i go back and check over the strings after finishing with the last one and they are all out of tune again...
Perhaps the springs that hold the bridge are in bad condition/ low quality, even if you just got your new guitar. Try replacing them.
As you tune 1 string, all the others go out a bit. Patience, read the FR sticky about setups.
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by lockdown91
Perhaps the springs that hold the bridge are in bad condition/ low quality, even if you just got your new guitar. Try replacing them.

I highly doubt it, they were pretty good before i started to re-tune it. (the strings are stretching i think)
Quote by Plarx
Even when i use the fine tuners though, and i tune them all correctly, i go back and check over the strings after finishing with the last one and they are all out of tune again...

Sounds like the floyd needs a setup. The tension is off somewhere. Is the bridge parallel with the body when you have it in tune? If it dips back into the body or is inclined the slightest bit it can screw with the tuning...if it is inclined: tighten the screws holding the spring claw (take the backplate off)...if it dips into the body: loosen these screws. It doesn't take much to throw the tuning off...and these screws won't need turned much. Check the FR thread if this doesn't help.

eyeEDIT: if you think its the strings stretching...stretch them out really good first with it in tune before you lock anything down...retune, lock down, and try to fine tune again.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
Sounds like the floyd needs a setup. The tension is off somewhere. Is the bridge parallel with the body when you have it in tune? If it dips back into the body or is inclined the slightest bit it can screw with the tuning...if it is inclined: tighten the screws holding the spring claw (take the backplate off)...if it dips into the body: loosen these screws. It doesn't take much to throw the tuning off...and these screws won't need turned much. Check the FR thread if this doesn't help.

Ahh yes i tried this before too....kinda helped a bit. Forgot to mention that =\

I guess ill just keep trying.

EDIT: Its 1:30 AM
Prolly not the best time to be doing this. Might go to bed soon. If i cant work it out tomorrow morning, ill head to music store in the city seeing as i have to go there anyways. and they can tell me how to do it

Cheers for the help fellas
Last edited by Plarx at Mar 13, 2009,