I want some new bands streaming out of my oh-(not)-so-fancy 2.1 system in order to kill some time.

I listen mostly to Metallica (and by that I mean a lot, Nocturnal Rites, Avenged Sevenfold, Opeth and Alter Bridge. I prefer heavier, slower stuff with fancy riffing and solos ála Kirk or Syn. Dunno really, just never wrapped my head around all the screamo-crap that kids listen to these days. And I also rather dislike cursing in the lyrics, but whatever.

Help me out here, please?
First of all, music with screaming =/= screamo. And you listen to Opeth and A7x, which have growling and screaming respectively so I am a bit confused about why would would say that.

Second, "curse words" are only words so I find it EXTREMELY stupid when people get upset about them. If you think about it logically you will realize this. Don't pass up great bands because of something so stupid.

And to answer your question: go to the recommendation thread. You can also try using Pandora and Last.FM or checking out some of the band that have been posted here.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Mar 13, 2009,
Beside the fact that you don't like screamo...the band I'm going to recomend you does in fact scream but are not of the screamo genre, they're metal. You need to check out Trivium, heavily influenced by Metallica and if you can get past a little bit of screaming you might enjoy them.
Stephen @ Relapse
Many apologies for missing the recommendation thread. Also, I listen to Dream Theater already. Will check out Trivium.

A bit of screaming is allright, but bands that rely solely on it will be cut. :p
Oh god, Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium in the same thread...why is this still here?
Nocturnal Rites are pretty awsome though.
Try Candlemass. Heavy, slower, great riffs/solos, and real metal.
Nightfall is my favorite by them.
oooo i love metallica and a7x too! a band called bullet for my valntine are alot like a7x. you should check them out...like a7x they scream occasionally but not much. like half and half. And they have some pretty cool riffs. their cool as well!
Try Strapping Young Lad. The guitars are pretty melodic and soft but it's still kinda heavy. Also, the vocals are mostly cleans and completely free of cuss words. Listen to "S.Y.L." and "Relentless."
Quote by madbasslover
Try Strapping Young Lad. The guitars are pretty melodic and soft but it's still kinda heavy. Also, the vocals are mostly cleans and completely free of cuss words. Listen to "S.Y.L." and "Relentless."

Sarcasm lol?

And TS, you dont like screaming but you listen to Opeth? Unless you dont mind growling...
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Last night I had a dream that I bought The Mantle on vinyl for $9.99 and it came with a DVD and shirt...

Then I woke up and life sucked.
Fxck the mainstream, do a little searching for Hexen, if you're into more melodic thrash metal. Check out their album, State Of Insurgency. Some great acoustic riffs in there on occasion, as well.