How many of you hide the fact that you're atheist/agnostic from your family?

Poll: ??
Poll Options
View poll results: ??
I hide it and my family is religuous
95 19%
I hide it and my family is not religuous
27 5%
I don't hide it and my family is religuous
108 21%
I don't hide it and my family is not religuous
215 42%
I am religuous
65 13%
Voters: 510.
Page 1 of 5
I am agnostic and most of my family isn't very religious so the topic of religion never really comes up in my household.

I will add a poll shortly
Last edited by Masamune at Mar 13, 2009,
I have bigger problems hiding it than Jesus had.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My Mam's in denial over it, my Dad knows, I'm told not to tell my little brother.
Only my closest friends would know that I'm an Atheist though, it's not a good idea to go saying it over here.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
They know I'm not a fan of traditional religions(they think god is a load of crap too) and accept my future as an occultist. I love the occult. It's even better than having sex with (username censored by mods).
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Religion was never really much of a topic in my house. My parents told me that some people believe there is a god etc, and that I was to listen to what other people had to say, and make up my own mind. I'm agnostic.
...Bleep Bloop...
I think it's a shame that some families can get along so well, but when it comes to a difference in religious opinion they argue with each other.

I'm religious myself, but I used to be Agnostic, my father had a big problem with it but we talked it out. I'm religious now for my own reasons, not his, I needed to figure that out for myself.

/end accidental speech.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
i can talk to my dad about me being agnostic and he doesn't really care. He believes religion should not be forced upon you (thank god! lol) and you should believe what you want to believe. I was raised christian and used to go to church but now that im agonstic it doesn't really matter. If anybody wants to judge me they can just **** off. I don't question their belief so why should they question mine.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
They know, in fact the whole town knows, I go around at 7 am in the morning ringing people's doorbells and waking them up only to hand atheist pamphlets telling them how god isn't real and how Jesus was a cannibal.
I don't hide it, but that's because I only pretend to be an atheist in order to be cool and edgy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I don't hide it, but that's because I only pretend to be an atheist in order to be cool and edgy.

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Masamune
oops...I feel like an idiot now.

And rightly so

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Both parents are of a religion (I couldn't tell you which though) but neither of them ever followed it by going to church or whatever.

They never pushed any religion on me (or my sister) or had us baptised/christened or whatever as they thought we should choose our own beliefs when we were old enough and do what we wanted to.

No one here cares two-shits about me not being religious and I couldn't care less about their religious views either. That's just the way I like it.
404: Sig not found.
I don't care what people think about my religion. I don't care for religion. The only religious part of me is that I have to attend church because my family does
DeVillains!
Quote by ChrisN
Both parents are of a religion (I couldn't tell you which though) but neither of them ever followed it by going to church or whatever.

They never pushed any religion on me (or my sister) or had us baptised/christened or whatever as they thought we should choose our own beliefs when we were old enough and do what we wanted to.

No one here cares two-shits about me not being religious and I couldn't care less about their religious views either. That's just the way I like it.

That's how my family is, too

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by ravioli123
I think it's a shame that some families can get along so well, but when it comes to a difference in religious opinion they argue with each other.

I'm religious myself, but I used to be Agnostic, my father had a big problem with it but we talked it out. I'm religious now for my own reasons, not his, I needed to figure that out for myself.

/end accidental speech.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go from being agnostic to being religious?

On topic: I was never told what to believe and my parents never mentioned religion around me so I just sort of took the world in and made my own mind up. I'm agnostic.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Great Grandfather was a preacher. My entire family is full of extreme right wing fundamentalists. And I'm an atheist. Have told my parents I don't believe, but they ignore it. Let's just say I have to schedule myself to work Sunday mornings to escape church.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
I was raised a conscious atheist and remain to be one to this day. I did have a little scuffle with agnositcism and starting reading everythin i could find. from the bible to the quran, some Dawkins, some philosophical stuff by Descartes, etc.

I came to the conclusion that there is only one reality, and that doesn't include an omnipotent being.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
My gran is religious ( as loads of old people are ) so i don't wanna tell her cus im sure she's set in her ways and all. My dad is a 'born again atheist' in his words and my mum is agnostic as far as i can tell. They know what i think.
Quote by dreamtheater91
Great Grandfather was a preacher. My entire family is full of extreme right wing fundamentalists. And I'm an atheist. Have told my parents I don't believe, but they ignore it. Let's just say I have to schedule myself to work Sunday mornings to escape church.

Man that sucks =\ i feel sry for you. ¬_¬ why can't people learn
Well.....

My grandparents are agnostic, my uncle is an extremely religious born again Christian, my dad's a Jew, my mom's a Buddhist, and I'm an Atheist.

So really, I've got no desire to keep it hidden. It makes for great conversation.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
my parents aren't particularly religious and if i knew any better i would say they're atheists as well but we don't talk about religion much anyway.

my grandparents on the other hand are very religious, and i keep it from them. there's really no point in telling them, it would only upset them, so i go along with whatever it is they do. it's not like it hurts me or anything and it keeps them happy.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by RageAgnstUrJaw
Just out of curiosity, what made you go from being agnostic to being religious?

Good question, I became religious after a few personal experiences a few years back, I was unhappy with the way I was living my life and I noticed what I felt were signs from a higher power. Then I became interested in religion, I started reading the bible and was beginning to feel I was living the way I truly wanted to live.
I became happier practicing religion for moral guidance and happiness rather than out of fear or obligation which is how I viewed religion when I was younger
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
well, the folks raised me to be non-religious, but i'm pretty sure that both of them believe in some sort of higher power. my brother and i are both atheists, but he is much more brash about it. whereas he will badmouth religion in front of my parents, i tend to stay much more quiet about it than he does. that being said, i am sure that my parents know that i am an atheist, i just don't talk about it with them.
i live in ireland so theres still loads of people who 'believe' apparently but never go to church.

I never had to hide it, although i had a big talk with my mom when i was like 16 explaining why i didn't believe
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
I'm pretty spiritual and so is most of my fam...besides one cousin really...
The times they are a changin'.....
...but if god is on our side, he'll stop the next war!

I guess I'm agnostic or atheist. Either way really, I don't hide it at home, I hide it in the library.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I don't care.
I don't think they care about religion either.

Church of the SubGenious ftw.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I have to hide it from my father's side of the family or those crazy rednecks get all over me.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by ravioli123
Good question, I became religious after a few personal experiences a few years back, I was unhappy with the way I was living my life and I noticed what I felt were signs from a higher power. Then I became interested in religion, I started reading the bible and was beginning to feel I was living the way I truly wanted to live.
I became happier practicing religion for moral guidance and happiness rather than out of fear or obligation which is how I viewed religion when I was younger

This is the same higher power who thinks ghandi needs to burn in hell right?
Page 1 of 5