I'm a newbie e-guitar player and I just won this Ibanez Artcore AF75D TOR on ebay. Now I'm clueless which amp should I get, saw this guy on youtube playing a Gibson ES335 on a Roland Cube 30, pretty amazing amp with different sound. Can you guys recommend me a good cheap entry level amp. I'm just a guitar hobbyist so I'm not doing any gigs or show in the future besides I still suck playing. Thank You in advance. Also any cable recommendations thanks
What kind of music do you play? How much you willing to spend? Plan to use effects with it? Will you buy used? If yes, you will go used, what is the closest big city?
Quote by eyebanez333
What kind of music do you play? How much you willing to spend? Plan to use effects with it? Will you buy used? If yes, you will go used, what is the closest big city?

This.

Exactly how much dough are we talking about, here? Because an Epiphone Valve Standard sounds great with semis.
I wanted to learn 60's Rock/Roll, Jazz music. Was thinking about combo amp.
I'm a beginner so I don't want to spend a lot and Used amp is find with me and I've been looking around CL and Ebay. I just an opinion since most members here are experience musicians. budge is $150 less. Here's what I'm looking at.

Peavey VYPYR 15
Marshall MG15CDR
Marshall MG15CD
Vox Valvetronix VT15 (used)
Fender M-80 Chorus (used) which I'm looking at it tonight.

I'm close to NYC.
the valvetronix would be perfect for what your style epecially the new VT's, there just great.
Quote by imgooley
This.

Exactly how much dough are we talking about, here? Because an Epiphone Valve Standard sounds great with semis.

Looks like that amp has been discontinued.
You won't find a used VT15, they're too new. You will easily find a used AD15VT though, which is the older version of it. It's a great little amp, too. You should be able to get one for quite cheap, now that the new VT models are out. It's great for what you want to play.
I'd go with the Vypyr. They're the new thing in terms of modelling amps and have gotten great reviews. Don't get an MG.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
well if you can i would go for the newer VT's, IMO its definately worth it to buy new if its just ganna be a home practice.
Yeah I think GC has the VT for $169.99 which my freind tested last night and the Artcore that we'd used sounded really great.

What about the Fender M-80 I'll be checking this out tonite from a local seller. should I try this one?
IMO fender dosent make all that great solid states, but that one seems to get alright marks.

its more of a metal amp from what i hear.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by THEKID546
IMO fender dosent make all that great solid states, but that one seems to get alright marks.

its more of a metal amp from what i hear.

Oh OK I think I'm just pass on that one then, i'm not really a metal player.

what about Frontman 25R Guitar Combo Amp ?
^i wouldnt buy it for 175 tough.

after owning that amp i would much rather have the VT15 than that hunk.
Quote by THEKID546

what about Frontman 25R Guitar Combo Amp for $140.00 new or Peavey VyPYR 15 doe $99.99
Quote by THEKID546

Yea they blew them out at $149 there at the end. Not a bad amp IMO, it does appreciate a speaker swap at some point if possible. I like it but the TS should make his own opinion. I'd rather have it than any of the VT series amps though.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^yeah its definately something to have if your willing to mod it, change out the pots mess with the circuts, change out speakers and all that stuff.

personally i just didnt want to deal with all that stuff, if anything all im ganna do to my amp is add pedals change out tubes and speaker and thats it, so i just sod it and got a classic 30.
vypyrs are great...for metal, but ive never heard them used for much else

mg is a fantastic nightstand

go with the vox, if you can find a peavey classic 30 used for near your price range, pick it up
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Ok, 150 isn't much to work with, but you might be able to find a used Epiphone Valve Standard. That would be perfect for you.
I just wanna thank for the guys who responded and gave their 2cents. Most of you recommended the Vox. Peavey Classic 30 is out my budget and like I said I'm a newbie. Lucky for me there's a couple of local guys from CL listed the Vox Amp, ADVT15 LX for $120 and VT30 for $200. Email both seller and managed to lowered their asking price respectively, $100 for ADVT15 and $165 for VT30. And below picture is what I've chosen. Sorry for the big file.