He doesn't have a UG account to my knowledge so I thought I'd ask for him.

He's into metal. Some of the bands he listens to are Megadeth (his favorite) and all the metal icons like Pantera and Metallica, Metal Church, Testament, Iced Earth.

He's more of a thrash metal player. I am as well but I tried to show him the other side of the spectrum that are some of my faves ala death and black metal but he wasn't diggin it.

Some things he's been looking at have been

Dean Razorback V 255
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-V-255-Electric-Guitar?sku=511853

Some sort of Jackson we saw at GC one day. It looked like a cross of a Dinky and a DKMG
Looked like this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=517588
But in red and had different inlays. Like sharkfins but a lot shorter and on the 12th fret there were two inlays.

Now the thing is he has saved up 1000 USD and wants to use his money on both a guitar AND an amp. He wants to upgrade from his starter equipment.

In terms of amps I've been recommnding he look into Peavey

He seems to like Line 6's though. One he's been looking at is this half stack

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-HD150-Guitar-Amp-Head-Spider-III-412-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=485062
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
get the line 6, best investment you'll ever make.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
ew no, not line 6, and dont get a marshall mg. i say look for something someones selling locally for a good deal, look on kijiji and craigslist and such, people are always selling some decent stuff,
Shredder Guitar wrote:

what the hell "even my chains...."

yeah, we dont wanna hear about your sexual devices, or anything of that matter.
I won't comment much on the guitars as metal isn't really my thing, but I'd keep on trying to persuade him away from the line 6. There will probably be a ton of the usually people with the best opinions coming in later to suggest better amps for the price. I've tried the exact amp for over a few hours for a friend, but I just didn't like how the effects sounded at all. Didn't sound "real" to me, or they sound too digital as most people will say.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
The line 6 heads are great. Just the combo's blow horse. The 150 has alot of power in it my buddy uses one. I use the 75 at the moment. its getting to be a bit too quiet for me. And the effects arent the best. but really, if you're playing metal. You dont need them.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Mar 13, 2009,
He could get a bugera 333xl 2x12 combo for 700 or a 6262 2x12 for 650, good stuff. Could upgrade speakers later on if he wants to.
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
He could get a bugera 333xl 2x12 combo for 700 or a 6262 2x12 for 650, good stuff. Could upgrade speakers later on if he wants to.

That would blow away the amp he listed. So would a Randall RG50tc or used mesa. You can get a F-30 in that range if you look around, clist - ebay... etc...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
That would blow away the amp he listed. So would a Randall RG50tc or used mesa. You can get a F-30 in that range if you look around, clist - ebay... etc...

I feel like the F-30 might need a cab if it's going to compete with the power of the stack.
Yeah

He told me he was looking into Peavey but

a)expensive and he won't have money left over for new guitar

b)Doesn't know which one to get for his playing style

Forgot to tell you two preferences.

He NEEDS 24 frets and PREFERS V shaped guitars and necks that aren't glossed (he can live with a glossed neck if the sound is killer though)
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
well you can always sand a glossy neck too, and tung oil that sucker

id say an ibanez rg/s
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL

I have to agree with ^. He can get a nice Bugera 120 watt combo, which sounds great for $700, and still have $$$ for the new guitar, especially if he waits a while to buy the new guitar. Amp comes first in most instances.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
No other ideas for geeetar?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by tonepro
Just a suggestion-look into Schecter guitars for the budget your friend has.
They have plenty of mid-priced models that are inexpensive and totally shred.
http://www.schecterguitars.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxWduj3gLg

Which reminds me he likes the Schecter Hellraiser c1 fr but not crazy about the gloss neck

He said the jackson he tried after played better though
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Will he be playing unmic'd for crowds of 300 people?

If not. He does not need a half stack. Especially not a line 6 one. You could do so much better (i.e. tube) for the money.

I agree with the Bugera suggestion.

And personally, I would steer clear of the dean, but if it works for him.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by c0m2011
Will he be playing unmic'd for crowds of 300 people?

If not. He does not need a half stack. Especially not a line 6 one. You could do so much better (i.e. tube) for the money.

I agree with the Bugera suggestion.

And personally, I would steer clear of the dean, but if it works for him.

Well he's a good buddy of mine and a band mate (both he and I are guitarists). He prefers Line 6's because he has one now I guess. He has a tiny combo Line 6 which sounds a lot better than I thought it would due to hype.

He's looking into deans because his personal favorite band (Megadeth) or at least Dave Mustaine uses a Dean.

Eventually we will (or hope) we'll need half stacks. My bugera is powerful as **** so I'm in no need of an amp upgrade at the present time.

But my friend's starter gear is

A small line 6 spider III practice amp
Starter Pirates of the Carribean guitar (It's actually an epiphone SG)

His tone isn't too bad for what he has but...it is what it is lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Mar 13, 2009,
bump
-----
Currently using: