I'm considering buying this Raven Half-Stack, but I've had no experience with Raven. Could someone who has used them before/owns this amp give me an unbiased review? I don't want you to try and sell me on it, I want to know the pro's and cons. The amp is below.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Raven-RG100H-and-RG412-Half-Stack?sku=489711
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Uhm...
There really are no cons cept it's solid state.

The stack is nice but the tone is slightly lacking.

You should look into Bugera 333XL's.

Just slightly more money, for true tube(and they sound amazing)

But, the Ravens are nice for a first stack.
Just... after 6 months or so, don't be surprised if you wish you had waited to get a tube.

But to answer your question, they're nice amps.

Nice, chunky tone, you can get a little grit in there.

Well-built... looks nice, super loud.
i dont own one, but a solid state amp for that low of a price cant be the best tone out there ya know? For that money you could buy the Peavey valveking which is all tube and sounds amazing (i own one). Thats the combo though, and it could blow that half stack out of the water with loudness (and tone) Just dont impulse buy it because down the line you might not be so fond of it.
If I'm being honest, they are probably some of the worst amps I've played... but thats just me. I judge an amp by its clean tone first, then move on to the OD and other features. Needless to say, the cleans on this amp are ridiculously bad. The OD could possibly pull off some metal with proper tweaking, but the FX are pretty much unusable for anything but practice.

I could see someone getting one of their smaller combos for practice (and tinkering with FX), but I think you would be better off with a Line 6 spider, roland cube, or Peavey vypyr if you're going that route.

If you are dead set on having a half stack for around that price, have a look at Crate or Carvin amps. They don't usually have all the bells and whistles, but they put out some very nice solid state amps.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Last edited by USAPeavey at Mar 13, 2009,
I dunno if this changes anything, but I play mostly all metal. I play a lot of bigger venues (combo amps just don't cut it). How is the 120W Crate Half-Stack? I'm a big Crate fan.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard

PLUR

My Solo Project
No you don't.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
What's your budget? Solid state crate amps are garbage along with the ravens.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Most solid state half stacks like these aren't great...if for, at the very least, because you can do so much better for the money. I didn't think these amps sounded bad...but for the money you can do better. However, if you like it, go for it. Don't just go off what other people think.
If the amps like this, spider MG crate behringer raven etc, stuck with just building small 10-30 watt practice amps it would be ok. Its a practice amp its doesnt have to sound phenomenal, they are practical being easier to move around, can turn em up at home. But scaling em up into the 100w range doesnt improve their tone any its just a way to make more money. They are economical but thats all they have going for em. The ravens long term reliability is unknown they havent been out long enough. But if they are anything like MGs and spiders it wont last long. If your gigging then invest in a quality, ie not cheap, amp. If this amp is just for home use invest in a quality amp but much lower in wattage.
Quote by tr3nt
No you don't.

I lol'd.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Ok, so the general consensus I'm getting is go tube. Budget is about 1300, perhaps 1400.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
Ok, so the general consensus I'm getting is go tube. Budget is about 1300, perhaps 1400.

What genre? Mostly metal as on your profile?
Gigging or home practice?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Peavey Triple XXX, ValveKing, 6505.

Then you've got some B-52, Mesa, and Bugera. But I'm only familiar with the Peavey models.

Quote by swordsofplague

& you were looking at Ravens?

Thank you for shopping UG, how can we help you today?

srsly.

Peavey XXX, 6505, 5150. Used ENGL Powerball/Fireball, Used Mesa Single Rec, Used Mesa Dual Rec (older 2 chan), Used Mesa F-100, Marshall JCM 800/900, used VHT
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.