Hi there, I fitted EMG sa/sa/81 set in to my jackson about 5 or 6 years ago, lent the guitar to my bro, now when i plug it in all i get is a faint guitar sound and nothing else, i changed the batt. but no help.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot whether it's the wiring, solders, the actual pickups??

Cheers for your help
It's your brother's fault...Go kick his a$$.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Ok ok, being serious now. I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to pickups/electronics in general, but I have had similar symptoms. I once realized that all my tone knobs were down, and that was doing it. If you're going through a pedalboard/pedals, try bypassing them and going straight to the amp. That's all I can think of, the stupid, "wow-i'm-a-dumbass" stuff.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
Ok ok, being serious now. I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to pickups/electronics in general, but I have had similar symptoms. I once realized that all my tone knobs were down, and that was doing it. If you're going through a pedalboard/pedals, try bypassing them and going straight to the amp. That's all I can think of, the stupid, "wow-i'm-a-dumbass" stuff.

Wow, way to double post.

*reported*

I have never heard of such a thing, but it sounds like it could be the wiring.
Last edited by headbangerbuggy at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by tyrrell_matthew
Hi there, I fitted EMG sa/sa/81 set in to my jackson about 5 or 6 years ago, lent the guitar to my bro, now when i plug it in all i get is a faint guitar sound and nothing else, i changed the batt. but no help.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot whether it's the wiring, solders, the actual pickups??

Cheers for your help

make sure the quick connect clips aren't loose, then look around for loose or disconnected wires.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Could be the pots are dirty and needed to be cleaned try rolling them back and fourth, Switching the pickups, ect.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
If you're getting sound, faint as it may be, there is connection. I would agree with trying to either clean or replace the pots first.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Quote by headbangerbuggy
Wow, way to double post.

*reported*

I have never heard of such a thing, but it sounds like it could be the wiring.

I lol'd
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard

PLUR

My Solo Project
Check the soldering on the input jack and clean the pots. That's the easiest solutions. Oh and the quick connect wires.

If it's none of that I would start thikning about bringing it in.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.