... And it's picking up radio signals. I have no idea how or from where, but if I turn up the gain and the volume a bit, I can hear some crappy pop rock happily streaming out of the cab.

Ponder.
Do you have a wah on? else your guitar is not shielded good enought or you have a problem with the grounding on your guitar. also try to stand in a different direction when you are playing.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by Arzei
... And it's picking up radio signals. I have no idea how or from where, but if I turn up the gain and the volume a bit, I can hear some crappy pop rock happily streaming out of the cab.

Ponder.

Bad ground/connection either in your cable, pedal, guitar or the amp itself. Go down the list to find the culprit. Also plug straight into the amp and then change the cable and see what happens..
It happens from time to time, it's a pain for recording (though Satch used it to good effect on 'Flying...') but shouldn't be more than an occasional nuisance.

Is there a wah pedal in your signal chain?
Quote by kyle62
It happens from time to time, it's a pain for recording (though Satch used it to good effect on 'Flying...') but shouldn't be more than an occasional nuisance.

Is there a wah pedal in your signal chain?

another example is Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire
at the very end of the song Tom's guitar picks up a Korean radio station.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir

That's a new one to me
Okay, so now I've put the guitar straight into the amp. Tried three different cables and two guitars... still there. <_<

So... it's the amp?

EDIT: I may also add that my neighbor has a HUGE radio mast. You reckon that might be the culprit?
I can also be the ground of your house. but yeah your neighbor is a factor too. try facing away from it or try another room in your house.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I had this happen with my preamp before. Better cables helped but did not completely resolve the problem. Moving the amp to a different location fixed it completely
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Then I'll try moving the amp. Also, all power outlets in my house are ungrounded. The house was built in the sixties, see.
Quote by Arzei
Then I'll try moving the amp. Also, all power outlets in my house are ungrounded. The house was built in the sixties, see.

Sounds dangerous.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Sounds dangerous.

Would be, but we've got this thing that cuts the main power if a current passes through something it shouldn't. So it substitutes the grounding quite well.

... Wikipedia just told me it's called a residual-current device in English. Gosh, the word's much simpler in Swedish. Oh well.
Quote by Arzei

Well there's your problem, the ungrounded outlets.

Also your neighbor's giant radio has to be a big factor too.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Skierinanutshel
yeah, the radio mast isnt helping much. also, a preamp tube may be going microphonic on you. maybe try a preamp tube swap?

I'll do that if nothing else works out. An AX7 isn't exactly expensive, but I'll mess around with locations. Is there a way to test if the tubes are "going microphonic"?
Quote by Arzei
Okay, so now I've put the guitar straight into the amp. Tried three different cables and two guitars... still there. <_<

So... it's the amp?

EDIT: I may also add that my neighbor has a HUGE radio mast. You reckon that might be the culprit?

That would do it
Then I guess I'll have to live with it. Ungrounded outlets won't be fixed, and the neighbor's radio won't go away 'till he dies or I move away. So, yeah.

Thanks for all the answers.
Quote by helsinki_vampir

i've always wondered what that beat was at the end of that song...

but. if it REALLY bothers you, you could build a Faraday Cage to surround your amp. Assuming that's where the signal is entering it would complete cut it out. In fact, if it really really annoys you, you could just build the cage on the walls of your room. But, you wouldn't get ANY cellphone signal in your room if you did that. (am i the only one who watches mythbusters here?)

Sorry, a bit impractical, but, a solution none the less.
Quote by tachyon
i've always wondered what that beat was at the end of that song...

but. if it REALLY bothers you, you could build a Faraday Cage to surround your amp. Assuming that's where the signal is entering it would complete cut it out. In fact, if it really really annoys you, you could just build the cage on the walls of your room. But, you wouldn't get ANY cellphone signal in your room if you did that. (am i the only one who watches mythbusters here?)

Sorry, a bit impractical, but, a solution none the less.

Sounds like a good idea. How expensive is it though?
Haha. I face-palmed.

"... And it's picking up radio signals. I have no idea how or from where,"

" may I also add that my neighbor has a HUGE radio mast. You reckon that
might be the culprit?"

"Then I'll try moving the amp. Also, all power outlets in my house are ungrounded. The house was built in the sixties, see."

I don't think you need to worry about your amp.

I don't know if this will help you, but you might want to call or email the manufacturer . It's supposed to resolve grounding issues.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHUMX
Last edited by 667 at Mar 14, 2009,