I recently bought a Behringer Ultrastack Cab (4x12"; 400w) and it says in the instructions to use only speaker cable and not a standard instrument cable. I believe they request this because they assume that the average instrument cable people use is not shielded. So, I bought a 1/4 inch "speaker" cable from my local music store and it appears to not be able to power the cab. I tried plugging it in to every output on my head, which is two, and it still did not work. I then tried an instrument cable that I had, which I believe is shielded but I bought it so long ago I could be wrong, and it worked perfect. The cab has stereo capabilities so I tried plugging in the speaker cable in to the right channel input and the instrument cable was already in the left input for mono operation. Doing this appeared to make the speaker cable work, insofar as the right channel was not dead and seemed clean.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why the "speaker" cable wont power the cab? Why do they prefer you not to use instrument cables? Can I use the stereo setup, as described above, and it be just as effective as two instrument cables? Any advice I am open too. Basically, I want to know if I can use that speaker cable for anything and why it does not carry a signal.

Thanks
i have no idea why your cable doesn't work. test it by using it as a cable for your guitar. Maybe its just a bad cable.

You should never use an instrument cable in place of a speaker cable because a speaker cable has two conductors in it while a instrument cable only has 1. Prolonged use could cause the cable to melt because the shielding is too thin to carry a signal and then possibly destroy your output transformer in the amp.

try searching for more info. this has been asked many times before
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Last edited by elchico04 at Mar 13, 2009,
^instrument cable has two conductors, one is the shield

Instrument cables are low voltage and high impedance, speaker cables are high voltage low impedance. Not only do instrument cables not have the handling ability to take the voltage from the head, but the high impedance of the cable could possibly damage your amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
he is right. my mistake. There are 2 conductors in an instrument cable as well. but just don't do it!
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I would just take that cable back and get a new one man. Its much better to use a speaker cable and not an instrument cable, because using the instrument could damage the amp.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Jackson JS-20
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Spider 3
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

My Band
Quote by Abileneguitar
I would just take that cable back and get a new one man. Its much better to use a speaker cable and not an instrument cable, because using the instrument could damage the amp.

Using an instrument cable will damage the amp. You need an unshielded speaker cable.

The right tool for the right job. Anything else will just not do...
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.