I've been struggling with this for the past few hours now.

I recently painted the inside cavities of my guitar with conductive paint.
It's a tele clone so i needed to get rid of the hum.
But once i plugged it in, the signal is so extremely quiet.
All the connections are made on the insides, and the signal is equally as quiet on all pickup settings.
The only way i can "hear" anything is to run the signal through a high-gain distortion and crank everything up to max. And even then, it's not distorted and only a quiet snappy sound.

Is this a common/fixable issue?

There is some paint on various connections (soldered points, etc.) and I'm not sure if that's what is causing it...

Any help would be appreciated immensely.

EDIT:::::

Furthermore, all the controls work to some extent (pickup switching, volume, tone), but when I turn the volume completely off, the signal bounces back to full volume.
This is baffling.
Last edited by unknowest2u at Mar 13, 2009,
my guess is you fried the volume pot, because i've done it before with the same results. could be wrong though.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
my guess is you fried the volume pot, because i've done it before with the same results. could be wrong though.

Sounds like a pot issue to me as well.

If you're not sure, take it to a shop.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
How much would a volume pot and installation cost?
I'm a bit frustrated because I was in love with the tone this guitar has. Would a new volume pot change the overall sound drastically?
Quote by unknowest2u
How much would a volume pot and installation cost?
I'm a bit frustrated because I was in love with the tone this guitar has. Would a new volume pot change the overall sound drastically?

it would be cheaper to just change it yourself, it isnt hard.

and nah.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
A new pot of the same value won't do **** to the tone. A pot installation is gonna be kinda high, prolly around 15 bucks (that's what I was charged once, way back when). If you do it yourself, it's just gonna cost the pot, about 4 bucks (at my local shop anyway).

It's very easy to change the pot.

BUT FIRST! Did you wire it ass-backwards? Or maybe you fried it with the heat from the iron?