Alright, I want to get a OD pedal to use to boost my 6505+ lead channel. I'm new to this I just heard about metal bands using tubescreamers to get a better tone. And I have pretty much decided on getting a 808 because I heard Killswitch Engage uses them and I love their tone. So my question is, before I buy the Maxon should I be looking at anything else?
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Jackson JS-20
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Spider 3
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

My Band
try a fulltone ocd or mi audio crunch box.

808 is sick though
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 13, 2009,
yes get the 808
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Yes that is an AWESOME pedal to boost it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
how bout just a regular clean boost.

something like the EHX LB-1 works great with the knob all the way to 12 oclcock.

but then again its like apples and oranges.
Try the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. It's a true bypass 808 clone (with a clean boost that you can blend in) that's less expensive than the Maxon and every bit as good.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Whats the difference between a clean boost and a regular overdrive?
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Jackson JS-20
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Spider 3
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

My Band
Quote by IbanezPsycho
One adds level and one adds gain....

Gain IS level. Unless you mean distortion.
Quote by Horlicks
Gain IS level. Unless you mean distortion.

When stating level and gain in pedals I always classify Level as Level/Volume (the clean part of the signal) and Gain as distortion/drive (any other foreign element adding gain on top of the original clean signal example clipping diodes and so on)

Sorry should of added more detail I forgot simplicity is not always a good thing..
Sigh....here's my explanation of gain and volume again...its the same dang thing guys!!!

Quote by lumberjack
Gain IS volume, and volume is gain. They are the same thing. It's not until the last 3 decades ( it might be 4 ) that pre-amp volume controls started getting labeled as "gain". People often equate gain with distortion, but this is not the case. Here's a quick run down:

The signal you send to the power amp is generated in from your strings, and is then transmitted by your pickups to the pre-amp. The pre-amp is all the knobs you mess with like the EQ settings and the "gain" knob, which is simply a volume control. That signal and that volume level is then sent to the power amp. If the power amp, sometimes called the post amp, is set at a level BELOW that of your preamp signal, it has to clip the big signal coming from the pre-amp to "make it fit", if that makes any sense. That's why people call overdrive and distortion clipping sometimes. Any time the pre-amp signal ( pre amp volume, or gain ) is larger than the power amp setting ( master volume, or post amp ), you get distortion of varying degrees. Light distortion has been termed overdrive, but overdrive is simply a mild degree of signal distortion when it really comes down to it. The bigger the pre-to-post amp ration is, the more distortion you get, which is why your amp distorts more the higher you turn on the gain ( i.e. turn up the pre-amp ).

As for the 808, it will do a fantastic job. Just set the gain to zero and the volume all the way up, and your high-gain sound will be tighter, clear, more articulate, and better defined than you can imagine. It seriously is a massive, huge, amazing difference if you play metal. I recently got an OD to boost my Peavey XXX and it takes the riffing from "a little sloppy" to "tight as vice grips". I actually got the Keeley modded Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, but really any high quality OD will do it, and the 808 will certainly do what you want. It's the kind of thing you will never turn off.

Just make sure you set up the pedal right, and dial a touch less gain in on your amp. The "clean-style" boost from the OD will tighten up your sound and add a smattering of distortion to the mix, so keep that in mind. Don't add gain from the pedal, as that will just get things muddy and woofy, which is the opposite of what you want.

Also, don't get the MI Audio Crunch Box for this purpose as previously suggested. That's a distortion box, not an OD, and they are worlds apart and don't do the same things. Using the Crunch Box to boost your amp in this way is like using a Metal Zone for a clean boost. Don't do it =]

While we're talking about different pedals, a clean boost will NOT work if tightness is what you're after. Clean boosts don't tighten, they just "increase". An OD with the gain dialed out and the volume pegged tightens the sound by changing the tonal character, and yes your tone will change slightly depending on which pedal you use. So, OD's will tighten, clean boosts will not.

Whew, all that ranting just to say "yes, the OD 808 will work great if you set it up right!"

Good luck my friend! I guarantee you once you start using OD's as a tightener/booster in front of your high-gain tube amps, you will never play metal without them again.

EDIT: oops, sorry about posting that gain vs volume bit, I thought we were arguing about them being different, not differentiating between signal clipping portions of circuits and non clipping portions! Ah how stupid misunderstandings make me look.........
Last edited by lumberjack at Mar 13, 2009,
Don't rule out a tube screamer - there's a reason it's a classic.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
Don't rule out a tube screamer - there's a reason it's a classic.

The old Tubescreamers are classic, not the new ones . Personally I don't really care for the new ones that much.
Me either! They suck all the low end out and add a mid honk, I hate that!

Now I love my New DIGITECH HARDWIRE TUBE OVERDRIVE!
i love my OD808. btw. As I Lay Dying uses them too. Except now im looking for a Equalizer of sorts.. a massive one.. don't know what to get... basically i want to use the equalizer all the time then 808 for a solo boost.... I have my 808 on all the time right now... Any suggestions?
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Quote by lumberjack
The old Tubescreamers are classic, not the new ones . Personally I don't really care for the new ones that much.

old ts = new maxon 808
Quote by uptheirons17
i love my OD808. btw. As I Lay Dying uses them too. Except now im looking for a Equalizer of sorts.. a massive one.. don't know what to get... basically i want to use the equalizer all the time then 808 for a solo boost.... I have my 808 on all the time right now... Any suggestions?

MXR 10 Band EQ.

'Nuff said.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
MXR 10 Band EQ.

'Nuff said.

that seems ideal, but he did say he wanted a massive one. Maybe a rack EQ?

and i vote for the Maxon 808
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
the maxon 808 would be ideal. one guys bitching about the mid boost and bass cut, but this is in fact a good thing for band situations because with a band, the thing you need most is mids, whilst the thing you probably need the least of is bass
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
then get an EQ, an 808 in front of a 6505's lead channel is going to add so much noise.
You could use any distortion pedal for a boost, for example I use a DS-1 for a boost. The 808 is a great front boost.
Quote by madh4ttr
fulltone OCD

they make decent as boosts imo, but if your mainly using as a boost, theres no reason for paying the extra $ from an 808
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I love all the various opinions on this stuff. I think what is important here is that people are giving good advice on their experiences and tastes, but you really need to try them out for yourself to decide. I would go to a store that has your amp and guitar and a nice selection of pedals, and try all these out. Try a clean boost, OCD, 808, TS, botique TS, Fultone, etc. and any theat the sales staff think would reach your goals, then buy that. You really need to use your own ear and decide what you like, this board is great for ideas of what to try out.
Yeah going to a store and trying everything out myself would be ideal but I live in a small town with no music store. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I went ahead and got the 808, just the fact that Killswitch and As I Lay Dying use it was pretty much enough to get me to buy it because I love their tones.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Jackson JS-20
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Spider 3
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

My Band
Quote by Abileneguitar
Yeah going to a store and trying everything out myself would be ideal but I live in a small town with no music store. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I went ahead and got the 808, just the fact that Killswitch and As I Lay Dying use it was pretty much enough to get me to buy it because I love their tones.

Did the same thing. the trick is now dialing it in. It Seems to me, we have the same gear and are searching for the same tone.
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Last edited by uptheirons17 at Jun 23, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
Old thread is old.