Okay, so the other day I noticed my amp wasn't sounding top notch, and I did what I always do, turn it off, and plug it into another outlet (assuming it had something to do with the wiring in my house). Well I haven't played in a couple of days, and today when I turned on I noticed the third prong was still in the previous outlet . I managed to pull it out with my fingers (which I do not advise anyone to do, even though I did not get shocked or anything). so I right now it's unplugged with the prong in very loosely. How can I fix this? Keep in mind the power cable on 5150's is not detachable so replacing the whole thing will be a problem. Please help, I've been aching to play today .
you need to replace the plug. I would suggest replacing the whole cable for safety reasons. Plugging your amp in without the ground pin has a pretty high probability of shocking you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Was it the ground? You can still use it if the ground broke but it'll be a little unsafe and won't sound great.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
It was the ground, it was sounding like **** the other day so I guess it was already broken then. Is there anyway to reattach the ground?
you could try to resolder it, but you won't have much space and there's a high risk of melting the plug. I would honestly take it to a tech, it shouldn't cost too much to get it fixed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I wouldn't try operating it without the ground - there is a high risk of you getting shocked. My Bassman is missing the ground (and since I'm lazy I haven't got around to replacing the plug) and its shocked me before.
Have a tech replace it, it's an extremely simple fix (one you could probably do yourself) shouldn't cost more than 30-50 bucks at the most.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Have a tech replace it
no

replacement part at a hardware store-$5
wire stripper-$3
screwdriiver to tighten the clamps-stolen
fixing something yourself-not very pricey
dont be lazy now!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 13, 2009,
^What if he doesn't know how to do that? What if it's soldered on and he doesn't know how to solder? What if doesn't know how to drain the caps?

I'd do it myself, but I know what I'm doing. I'm not about to suggest that someone with no knowledge go fumbling around inside something that's just waiting for him to eff up and kill him.
heh, I ran an amp w/o a ground plug once (crate powerblock).

Noticed that I could play barre chords better than normal. Turns out the guitar strings were electrified through the cable, and the electricity was causing my hand muscles to clinch down harder than normal.

Helped for awhile, then started to hurt as my hand got sweaty and conducted better.

Hehe...don't do that. Not good.

...best sounding barre chords I've ever played though.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
^Kind of like a cyborg guitar player!
Quote by Kevin Saale
^What if he doesn't know how to do that? What if it's soldered on and he doesn't know how to solder? What if doesn't know how to drain the caps?

I'd do it myself, but I know what I'm doing. I'm not about to suggest that someone with no knowledge go fumbling around inside something that's just waiting for him to eff up and kill him.

hes not going inside the amp, its unplugged for a while

theres three screws acting as clamps, twist wire clockwise around clamp, screw the screw, it really only matters that you have the ground in the right place (typically green)

get the ones that have the clamp around the base of the wire, to ensure a good, solid fit, no soldering required

please dont pay to have someone do this, its simply an appliance replacement part for your appliance, an amplifier
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Kind of like a cyborg guitar player!

Kindof. The problem was that as soon as my finger touched the string, my muscles would contract and clamp my finger down. Great if you're in the right spot on the fretbaord, bad if you need to slide a bit.

Sweet sweet hammer-ons though!!!

Yeah, so, that was when I was less experienced w/ electronics. Then I went to college and learned about electronics and I went when I realized what exactly I was doing.
Quote by kcdakrt

Last edited by DLrocket89 at Mar 13, 2009,
that looks like a molded plug. I take there are no screws, or ways of getting it apart.

if it is molded, you need to cut the plug off just below the plug, and strip the cable back in order to put a new one on. If you don't know how to do this, ask an adult (parent and grandparents are good for this type of thing). you should eb able to buy a new one at your local hardware store, or you might even have one lying around that you can use.

If its not molded, just take the old one off and stick a new one on in its place.

There wont be any solder, since mains is not soldered. All you should need is a screwdriver and a pair of pliers/wire cutters (and perhaps something for stripping back the insulation on the cable)
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
yeah...chop it off. Go to Ace hardware (or whatever), tell them you need a screw-on female plug end end (3-prong) for a standard 120V plug. The package should have instructions if you can't find someone more knowledgeable.
Quote by kcdakrt

Fortunately my father is a wiz with this kind of stuff, I'm off to home depot to by a new one right now, thanks for your help everyone