I watched some interviews with guitarists last night, and I noticed that the American players tend to pronounce the word "bridge" as 'briGG', instead of 'briJJ'. I'm not trying to dig at the USA, it's just that I've only just noticed people saying it, and the guys were American - if they were English, I would have made the same post.

What's with that?
i usually say "bridge", i guess i might say "brigg" sometimes.

but then again i do that because i have a speech problem.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by -MintSauce-
I watched some interviews with guitarists last night, and I noticed that the American players tend to pronounce the word "bridge" as 'briGG', instead of 'briJJ'. I'm not trying to dig at the USA, it's just that I've only just noticed people saying it, and the guys were American - if they were English, I would have made the same post.

What's with that?

Same train of thought really.

Us and the Yanks' say Chassis differently too, it's hilarious.

I could bore you with the facts and stuff i've learnt from my English Language A2 year but I doubt you'd appreciate it

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I say bridge, D and all. Just, ya know, light on the D.

Chassis rhymes with Cassie. How do YOU say it?
i say bridge, like the obect, goes over a crick. (i dont say creek) but america and england have pronounced and said stuff differently for like forever.

to vykk, im in the us, i say chassy. i guess thats how youd spell the pronunciation
Last edited by blandguitar at Mar 13, 2009,
One of my wife's friends (from England) was visting us in New Jersey (USA). We were going to get a couple of drinks at the "Fox and Hound". Our friend burst into laughter and called us silly Americans. To this day I don't know why. We just hung out in the mall. She bought an iPod due to the exchange rate.

I commonly mispronouce 'trailer' as TRAY-ler and sometimes 'interpret' as in-TUR-pit. It's shameful, really.
Last edited by tagyoureit at Mar 13, 2009,
I've never heard ANYONE say "brigg" referring to a guitar bridge. The only brig I know is a military pokey.
Guitar & Bass
I say BriJJ and Shassy
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Yeah, what? Why would anyone ever pronounce "bridge" as "brig?" They're just different words... soft g is soft g and that's really all there is to it. For the record I'm American.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
We do have a high illiteracy rate for a developed country. That was probably the problem.

Bridge = brij
Chassis = Chassie
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by -MintSauce-

What's with that?
It's not an American pronunciation.
Apparently most of the American players you've heard speak were just fucking morons.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So many differences.

We say Sha-see, they say Cha-see

We say Sol-der-ing they say Sod-er-ing

We say Al-you-min-e-um they say A-loo-min-um

It's all good though
lol, Skeet. i thought this convo had a familiar flavour flavor to it ...

How do YOU pronounce "solder"?

Minty, you rascal!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Heh!

How do I do that crossing out thing?

And why is UG bleeping at me till I refresh?
Quote by Skeet UK
Heh!

How do I do that crossing out thing?

And why is UG bleeping at me till I refresh?
I see you got the strikethrough thing fingered figured out.

As far as the bleeping, there appears to be a bad advert ad on the servers for England, at least SE England, anyway.
Beeping Ad.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Yeah , its the stupid Windows looking box at the top.

"Congratulations, you are over 1,000,000 visitor. Congratulations YOU WON"

[Click 2 Claim] or I will beep till your refresh....
yeah, i don't see any of that shiz. Ad Block Plus, ftw. (shhhh! don't tell nobody)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
With as much variation to the English dialect in europe. I don't understand how you can be bothered to ask this. People speak English very differently wherever you go.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by Castiel
With as much variation to the English dialect in europe. I don't understand how you can be bothered to ask this. People speak English very differently wherever you go.

Firstly, the only truly English-speaking country in Europe is England - all countries in continental Europe have their own languages, which they speak predominantly. Also, ignoring regional dialects, people speak English differently wherever you go because it's not their native language, and it's flavoured by their native accent. These guys were American, assumably with English as their primary tongue, and they offered up a strange pronunciation. I found it curious, so I asked.
As far as I know, I've never heard anyone here in America pronounce it that way. It seems the people you talked to were idiots, which seem to be found in abundance here in the states for some reason....
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Bridż
With an englishlike 'R'.

(If you dont see polish letters, the last one was supposed to be a z with a little dot over it)