Page 1 of 2
Hey
From what I've seen on this website Delay is a very popular pedal. On the 'Pedalboard Thread' most people had some sort of Delay.

But what do most people use it for? Most people don't have crazy echoing sounds when they play so do people use it for anything else?. Does it help your tone without having any major effect going on?

I appreciate your help.

Please reply!!!
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Some people set it up so it's a lot like reverb and then use it on solos. Some people use it for slapback echo, and there are a million other uses. It's popular but by no means necessary. I have one, but it sits in the corner unplugged and I rarely use it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I use mine primarily for cool effects for an intro to a song, or to add to a lead solo to add some dynamic...90% of the time, its just on my board

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Analog delay is used a lot to just fatten up a track.

I use my DD-7 for crazy indie, experimental things though.
the sound is just more cool on solos with delay, if you use the right amount though.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
I love delay, I don't own one because i'm poor.. but I love to record stuff on reaper and put the delay effect on, and whenever I play around with pedals at music stores I mostly play with the delays. It's definately not necessary but it sure is fun and sounds cool
For me, it's style. Not just personal, but genre-wise as well. It can be kind of important, especially to rockabilly slap-back.

Mostly, though, it can be like reverb where it's just personal preference. Things can just sound empty, and the delay can fill it up.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
i love what it does to my lead sound

makes everything sound so much thicker
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Exactly, mainly used like a reverb, thicken up your tone a little, make the sound a little fuller. Turning the time way up and playing against what comes out is always fun though.
Last edited by oldkoolairbrush at Mar 13, 2009,
i rarely use my 2 delay pedals, my DOD digital delay is for some solos and for the infinity repeat mode wich i use for my war pigs style endings.
my dan-echo is a good warm tube echo emulation that i use mostly on clean stuff it also does a great tape echo simulation.
everyone should have one on their board but i cant stand peopel who leave their delay on ALL the time
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Sid McCall
Some people set it up so it's a lot like reverb and then use it on solos. Some people use it for slapback echo, and there are a million other uses. It's popular but by no means necessary. I have one, but it sits in the corner unplugged and I rarely use it.

^^^
That
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
On my rhythm channels I usually have the delay set to echo once in a very small amount of time. For leads I have them spaced out a little more, or even layered. One set to slapback quickly and one to delay the delay and preamp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by familybucket
Hey
From what I've seen on this website Delay is a very popular pedal. On the 'Pedalboard Thread' most people had some sort of Delay.

But what do most people use it for? Most people don't have crazy echoing sounds when they play so do people use it for anything else?. Does it help your tone without having any major effect going on?

I appreciate your help.

Please reply!!!

i used to think that i just couldn't play guitar with out some sort of delay effect. set it to add a sort of reverb effect on my high gain channel cuz my amp's built in reverb couldn't cut it. so it wasn't crazy delay. then even the way i had the delay pedal set for the gain channel, it had WAY TOO much effect for the clean channel so i'd turn it off. and the amp's built-in reverb worked fine for cleans anyway.
then one day i just decided to try playing distorted but with out the delay effect. just totally dry.
i got used to it, and now i don't even like the delay effect. maybe i'll add it back when i want to do some crazier, more experimental stuff with a wah pedal, cuz i REALLY like those 2 effects combined!

personal opinion is that there's more attention paid to pedals and effects than to ones playing and composition of music. i listen to some famous professional players, far more talented than i could ever hope to be, but the amount of effects in their signal is as epic as their guitar playing ability.
Last edited by sethp at Mar 13, 2009,
I never find use for delay.

Who wants a bunch of notes echoing back at you while you are trying to play a solo?

I probably won't buy one, I will save pedalboard room.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
pinkhaze29 - I think I stared at your avatar for an hour.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by tmfiore

Who wants a bunch of notes echoing back at you while you are trying to play a solo?

me
Quote by Nevermind1299
me

Are you The Edge?
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
I just spent an hour playing with feedback on my Carbon Copy in series with a phaser and octave pedal...

Fun, but my ears hurt.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
I find chorus does absolute magic. Just a tad. like 0.5.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
I play ambient shoegazing/dream-pop/post-rock music... Me without delay is like a fish without water -_-

It's such a pleasant sound. The right delay (my pedal of choice is the Boss RE-20 Space Echo) can add so much texture to your sound.
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Mar 13, 2009,
i use my dd-7 to get some wicked dotted eighth notes.. ( like a chugga chugga sound)
i love delay so much!
For what I play, I use a load of delay. I only have one pedal right now though - I need some more. Probably another digital and an analog.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I just bought a DD7 and I don't know why I didn't just pony up for one sooner.

Delay can add depth like a reverb, but it also handles high gain better. Clean sounds nicer with spring reverb though. The depth really makes your solos sing.

Slapback is also great.

Reverse is a bit of fun but not as useful.

Delay based songs like Echo Etude, Paul Gilbert's the Echo Song, and I think Big Sur Moon are also brilliant examples of ways to use delay. 8th or 16th note arpeggios become a melodic flurry of notes.

It's also a good way to make a guitar a key part of an ensemble. You can play a percussive bass line and a melody without having to move your fingers and pick at a million miles an hour.

You can also play the fills for bad 90s crime shows.
Quote by ljohn

Reverse is a bit of fun but not as useful.

Depending on the genre you play =p
i think of delay as less of a tone tool (e.g. OD, EQ) and as more of an effect (e.g. phase, chorus). for general playing it is pretty useless but you can get some great sounds out of it for specific parts of a song. to me it is no more than an effect and shouldnt be overused.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Mar 14, 2009,
I play lots of post-rock/experimental stuff so delay is essential. I would actually like a second delay to use at the same time, but for now I only have one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by tmfiore

People that actually know how to use it.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
It makes a good unique sound like an echo, but it's optional, not always important. I'd use it basically for fun.
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE
Clearly, if you've managed thus far without it, it's not that important to you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
i love delay. it just adds so much to everything.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
ive never used one in my life.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
it has a lot of uses. whether your using it subtly on leads, or to help with that "crazy sound". myself, i use it on several different sounds, mainly leads and cleans. but its very fun to mess around with all the crazy modes of delay on my pod (stereo, pingpong, reverse, etc)
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks, So which Delay Pedal would you recommend?
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Page 1 of 2