howdy,

I mainly play guitar and have a home studio where I spend most of my time these days - I'm after a decent cheap bass to get some lines down.

I'm confident doing a full setup + fret level and polish etc and originally had a swift bass which I bought as a job lot of three, fixed them all up but accidently sold all three on ebay!

Good news is that I now have £150 to spend as opposed to the £50 I spent on the job lot originally.

I'm looking at precision bass clones etc but I'm open to suggestions - new or used, but preferably something that can be found on ebay/that accepts paypal (if that £150 hits the bank account, my missus will spend it on shoes!)

Nothing fancy, 4 strings is fine and I'll probably look to upgrade the pickups/wiring on it within 6 months,

Many Thanks in advance for any help
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I dont know about exchange rates, but you can probbably get a Squier J-bass or P-bass for about that much. Look into the Ibanez GSR190 or 200 as well.

EDIT: If youre looking on eBay you can easily find either of those basses within your price range.
Last edited by grifff at Mar 13, 2009,
I wouldnt bother recording with a low end bass, as the outcome isnt going to be as great as have a clearer bass, see if you can rent a decent bass or borrow one for a while. The recording will sound alot better. Now if its a band recording OG GET YOURSELF A BLODDY BASSIST, but otherwise if its just for a bit of recording see if youn borrow.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by grifff
I dont know about exchange rates, but you can probbably get a Squier J-bass or P-bass for about that much. Look into the Ibanez GSR190 or 200 as well.

EDIT: If youre looking on eBay you can easily find either of those basses within your price range.

Thanks mate - I was looking at Squire and Encore - I'll check out the Ibanez
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by fatgoogle
I wouldnt bother recording with a low end bass, as the outcome isnt going to be as great as have a clearer bass, see if you can rent a decent bass or borrow one for a while. The recording will sound alot better. Now if its a band recording OG GET YOURSELF A BLODDY BASSIST, but otherwise if its just for a bit of recording see if youn borrow.

I hear what you're saying, and to a certain extent I agree, but yeah it's just me in my house with cubase and ampeg SVX. What I tend to do is put a drum track down and then jam along on the bass, then go through, find the best riffs etc and make loops out of them

The swift basses retail for around £50 and I used one for a couple of months (after giving it a full set up) with great results - infact the best I have ever managed in over 15 years of playing...though obviously Ampeg SVX plays a very big part in that......

I'm a big believer in 'tone is in your fingers' though - it's certainly true on the guitar, are you saying that perhaps that's not so much the case for the bass??
It mdepends on what you feel, personnaly fingers- pickups-amp, pickups and amps matter the most to me, A good amp is what i will always prefer over a better bass.

An SX maybe the good and considering you can do a setup it would be good.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was holding out for an Ibanez, but anyone selling them over here for the last two weeks has wanted stupid money for them.

Ended up getting a new Yamaha RBX170 in Light Amber Burst (matches my les paul!) for £125 delivered from absolutemusic - should be here tomorrow.

I'll probably look to upgrade the electronics/pickups in a few months, but for the money it seems like a good deal for a new bass. I always liked Yamaha guitars - well put together and semi decent parts - hopefully, I'll be as happy with their basses...

Well I was happy with Swift bass, so lets face it, the yammy will have to be pretty dire for me to not like it!