Page 1 of 2
Ok. for graduation, im getting a new bass. i can pick pretty much w/e i want up to the $1,700 US price range.

Basically, these are the basses i WANT. i want one of THESE basses, i just need help picking out one of them. i listen to lots of indie, and love the tone in bands like:

Tokyo Police Club
Cold War Kids
We Barbarians

Here are the basses im trying to decide between:

MusicMan Stingray 4HH
Fender American Standard Precision
A used vintage 1970's P-Bass (off ebay, or craigslist or something)
used Fender American Deluxe P-Bass (would buy a new one, but they are $1,800 new so id have to find one used to stay under $1,700)
Rickenbacker 4003 (off Ebay)
vintage 1970's Gibson Ripper (off Ebay)

those are the basses im trying to decide between.
Thanks for help.

oh yea, and the bass MUST have a maple neck/fretboard, with exception for the Rickenbacker.
Last edited by PedRoFTWkiddies at Mar 13, 2009,
Hmm, well, im presuming youve played them all, so did any of them stand out for you more, there all quite different, but can to an extnet replicate each others tone. WEll except the rick maybe. Its alot of money, so i would lay thew desicion down more on your own hands then the people of here, as its a life time bass at that price.

I do love the stingray HH very versatile with the double Humbuckers, and would give you a nice growly indie tone, that can be smotthed out, Did you look at sterlings, abit smoother.
The second choice for me would be the 1970's p-bass, as i really want one, even though im a jazz fanboy.

But really go play them for a good long while and see, to much money to put in someoine elses hands.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle

But really go play them for a good long while and see, to much money to put in someoine elses hands.

This.

Your budget is a high one, and this is going to be an instrument YOU'LL be using for a long, long time. It should be a difficult decision for you to make. The only thing you'll get is opinions, and noone's opinion should count but your own. Someone's dream bass is another's bane. Instead of asking on here, you really should be out there trying every single instrument you can get your greasy mitts on.

Quote by szekelymihai

That's not a good idea, because every bass made after 1990 is a load of sh*t.

ive played a rick, the local GC had one, but the person who sold it to them, had lower guage strings on it. minus the lower guage strings, i liked it a lot.

another thing about the Ric ive read is, that even if i bought one, and didnt like it, i could sell it for pretty much what i got it for, because Ric's are in such demand most of the time. which means, if i got it, and didnt like it, i could pretty much get any bass i wanted for under the $1,500 price range, because thats what i would sell it for.

As for the Ripper, theres almost no way i would be able to play one before i bought it, hence im posting this thread looking for info on the basses.
What sorta tone would you prefer/ Sorry, I've never really listened to those bands, so you'll have to describe it to me. Do you have any other requirements for the bass? Playability wise? Weight? etc?

Edit: Another thing about Ricks, the necks have a lacquer finish on the back, which for me is the only thing putting me off from saving up for one. Just in case you haven't played one before, watch out for it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Mar 13, 2009,
im a big guy, so weight and that kinda stuff doesnt affect me. i can move my 8x10 cab from my house, to venues, to practice sheds completely by myself with my car, so, no bass will be too much for me.

tone wise....... hmmm... i like really aggressive tone. very grindy, bright, and aggressive.
Im a big guy too, 6'1, 13 stone, and after an hour or two, my bass starts to feel, heavy, so still be considerate of wait.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPY5vTbLhs8
^^^the reason i want a P-Bass. i love that sound. super meaty, and honky, and aggressive sounding. imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeC-s9GTzw
^^^the reason i want a Ripper. cant hear the bass very much in the live vid, but you can on their myspace. i think he might have recorded with a P-bass though, because in some pics i saw of them in the studio, he had a P-Bass. anyways, heres their myspace. www.myspace.com/webarbarians

and, u guys are right, i probably should take weight and stuff into consideration.

another question. with the American Deluxe P-bass being active, if i just use the split coil pickup on the deluxe, ignoring the bridge humbucker, will i be able to get the same sound a non-active precision would get? or will it always have a kind of active sound to it.

thanks for all the replies.
Last edited by PedRoFTWkiddies at Mar 13, 2009,
I think first you need 10 inch speakers. and a nice pedal to help emulate tubes. Then a pbass, or rick.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
im using an Ampeg SVT 8x10, and ill probably have either a:
Carvin BX1200
Ampeg SVT-CL
Ampeg SVT-VR
Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

from my sister and her husband after graduation.

and if for sum reason i dont get a head from them, ill be buying my own Carvin BX1200 to pair up with my Ampeg SVT810 Cab.
Iwould go with the ampeg straight of, though about a 2-pro, you could get a second hand one for a cheap enough price, and more verstaile, IMO. just a though first. I would prob get the Cl after that and crank the treble.

Look at the pbass, and rick more im thinking, you use a pick.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
when i started, i was exclusively fingerstyle, and i hated picks, and players that use picks with a passion.

but, for the past year, since my friend got me into all the post punk revival bands like Interpol, and the Strokes, and what not, playing with a pick is pretty much all i do, because i freaking love the tone it gets.

yeh, i used to want the 2 pro extremely bad, but, then i realized my dislike for graphic EQ's, because it just seems like too much sometimes.
You can bypass the graphic eq,, and use it as a secodn channel for soling, or comletly shut it off, just and idea. Pick fingers you can all eq it in, with a decent idea. I used to love getting a this tone were it sounded nearly like i was using a pick but was using fingers, yummy. But i still reckon p-bass or rick are your best bets.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
thanks.

i really like idea of the Ric, because like i posted earlier, even if i play it for awhile, and it isnt my cup-o-tea, i can turn around and sell it for pretty much what i got it for, which would be enough to use the money i get for it to get a P-Bass.

sound good?
It sounds good, im talikng bout the Passive P, just to confirm not the deluxe, but you could easily pick one up second hand for less than a grand, spo could maybe make yourself money in the long run.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thegiaco2112
Musicman Bongo

Ithink that would be too flowery for what hes after.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thegiaco2112
Musicman Bongo

i used to want a bongo 5 extremely bad, but, my musical tastes have changed, and the basses im considering are posted in the OP.

other than the basses i mentioned, im really not looking for anything else.
Just a thought, for $1700, you could probably get an incredibly nice custom bass from a lesser-well-known luthier. If you know exactly what you're after, you could end up with something that would suit you perfectly.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
anybody know anything about the basses that ive mentioned?
the basses that im interested in, are in my OP. so, if u have info on those, thats what im looking for. thanks.
Quote by Confused2316
Just a thought, for $1700, you could probably get an incredibly nice custom bass from a lesser-well-known luthier. If you know exactly what you're after, you could end up with something that would suit you perfectly.

This.

But from those that you've discussed I would have to go with either the Rick (which I have always wanted) of the Deluxe P (which I own). By the way, if you have any specific questions about the Deluxe feel free to shoot me a pm.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
do you have the deluxe with the humbucker @ the bridge?
if so, what kind of tone does it give when you have both pickups cranked, played with a pick?
and how does the humbucker sound solo'ed.
and..... lol, can you get a normal standard P-bass tone from it, or does it always have that "active bass" twang to it?
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
1) Do you have the deluxe with the humbucker @ the bridge?
2) What kind of tone does it give when you have both pickups cranked, played with a pick?
3) How does the humbucker sound solo'ed?
4) Can you get a normal standard P-bass tone from it, or does it always have that "active bass" twang to it?

1) Yes. I have a late 90's American Deluxe Precision with a rosewood board and 9v electronics.
2) Almost any tone you want. Just dial it in with the 3 band EQ. Left flat it has a very aggressive and punchy tone with just a little bit of growl.
3) I don't really know how to describe this. It definitely sounds good, but it doesn't really give off a "stingray" vibe.
4) If you solo the P-Pickup and roll of the treble a little on the EQ you can get a very solid classic Precision tone. However, only a passive P will ever sound exactly like a passive P. I'm sure that you could wire in a switch to bypass the preamp pretty easily though. I have considered doing this with both of my non-Warwick basses as I have always liked the added versatility (and ability to continue a gig with a dead battery ).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
i see i see.
man, that makes it even harder.

hmmm......
im still leaning towards the Ric, because if i didnt completely love it, i could always sell it, and then buy a p-bass or ripper, with the money from it.

more info is welcome though.
I say the Stingray, but only because I've always wanted one, I really like the tone, and the neck, even though I love jazz necks, feels pretty good.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by Confused2316

This is a good idea. But other than that, if you want a punchy/indie sound, i would suggest a 1970's second hand jazz. Just a thought
i have a jazz. its a MIM Jazz, but ive tricked it with a BAII bridge, and Fender Custom Shop 70's pups. plus, jazzes, regardless of age, or where they're made, are all going to get that "jazz bass sound", and im looking for something different.

i dont want a custom bass. im just wondering if anybody has any information about the basses in the original post (OP), as those are the ones im deciding between.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
i have a jazz. its a MIM Jazz, but ive tricked it with a BAII bridge, and Fender Custom Shop 70's pups. plus, jazzes, regardless of age, or where they're made, are all going to get that "jazz bass sound", and im looking for something different.

i dont want a custom bass. im just wondering if anybody has any information about the basses in the original post (OP), as those are the ones im deciding between.

I own a ric 4003 and I love it. If you want a bright, punchy tone it will perform that function extremely well, but if you're not a fan of the "ric tone" then you won't be able to coax a great deal else out of it. That said, the newer models are better in this respect and I can get a pretty wide variety of tones out of mine with the right amp settings, but compared to a j bass its pretty limited.
In terms of feel, I generally enjoy the feel of the neck and the lacquer is easy to get used to. However it's probably too wide on the higher frets for my liking and stretching your little finger is definately an issue. Overall, it's a real marmite bass, but if it's for you, you really won't care for anything else ever again.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
thanks wouldyakindly.
you have any information on the resell value?
because if i can get pretty much what i pay for it, ill probably get the Ric, because then if i didnt like it, i could resell it and get the P-bass or something.
My opinions on the basses in the Original Post:

MMSRay 4HH- Great bass, I have one and what I like about is:
¬very versatile due to the 5-way coil selector and the 3-band EQ
¬good feel and playability
¬great humbucker tone, which I find lacking in J-Basses, which you can dial in and out according to taste.
¬Solid build etc...
The weight, and the neck might be the only setbacks.
Fender American Standard P
In my opinion is awful value. Single pickup, passive, for a grand? Ive played them, and yes they sound nice, but no I dont think they sound £500 better than a MIM. Instead I would promote a replica '50s or '60s if Ps are your thing. I suppose however, that a P-Bass will never fail to deliver, as they deliver the classic bass tone. So, a safe bet I suppose, but I think that they are shockingly bad value. Regarding the vintage 70s P, I dont know. Im not a P-bass fan, but would certainly promote Lakland and Sadowsky as viable alternatives, particularly to the Fender American Deluxe. About that, for $1,700, you can get a MIM P, add replica p/up and an aftermarket preamp, and you're $700 heavier with essentially the same bass. If you want humbucker tone, get the Stingray, which can also, to a certain extent, do a P-style tone by using the right coils.
Rickenback 4003
The only Ricky Ive played had deep-fried strings that sounded like flatwounds, so I wont talk tone, but it was very playable, and also very light. Personally I love the look, and quite hanker after a dual-output one, but Ive gathered that they only really do the one Ricky tone. Wouldnt know myself.
Dont know about no Gibsons...
I have a good comparison for you with a Rick vs a P-bass involving Cold War Kids.

I love Cold War Kids, I looked up their instrument list recently and saw the bassist uses a Rickenbacker and a Precision bass. While listening to them today, I noticed the difference in sound between two songs. Listen to Hang Me Up to Dry , I believe that's a Rickenbacker, now listen to Something Is Not Right With Me , and I also believe that is a P-bass.

Ric sounds a lot heavier on the treble, I'm sure that's its' natural sound, and the P-bass sounds a lot smoother. Since you are dropping up to $1,700 on an instrument I agree with taking as long as you need to deciding the perfect one for you, so just be sure to try out some variation of each bass.

Watching both music videos again I guess you can see in the videos that the basses the bassist uses match my predictions.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I'd drop the precisions, except for the deluxe. Seems like a lot of money to pay for such little versatility...What're we talking about, get the rickenbacker!!!
Quote by Mudmen190
I'd drop the precisions, except for the deluxe. Seems like a lot of money to pay for such little versatility...What're we talking about, get the
rickenbacker!!!

#1 I don't think he can get a Ric with that money, remember they started to hike prices.
#2 90% of the time you can't try the Ric you play, most stores don't carry them.
#3 The Ric tone and feel is a LOVE/HATE kind of thing, too risky for blind buying.
#4 The wait list is getting annoying.
#5 Ric's customer service is insulting.
I was under the impression that no-one bothered buying them first hand, there are always second-hand Rickenbackers knocking around, typically within his budget.

\/ I would hazard that, at 1.7 grand, you might want a little more than straightforward tone and good recordability. Not that I imagine any of the basses hitherto mentioned are bad for recording...
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Last edited by the_underling at Mar 16, 2009,
has anybody read what i said about not liking it, and being able to resell it for enough to get a p-bass?

because it seems like everyone misses that, and im wondering if it would work like that.
Yes, provided you buy a good condition Rickenbacker, you could easily sell it on for enough money to get a MIA P-Bass, or a Stingray HH.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Page 1 of 2