Hi, I'm new... not sure if this is in the right place, but if not, move it.

I got a new guitar last month, an ESP LTD EC1000, which comes with Schaller locking tuners. So about a month on, I get round to changing my strings, and one of the tuners won't lock the string in. It just comes out again. So at the moment I have no B string, and I'm having to use my crappy old strat knock-off.

So I phoned up the guys from the shop where I bought it, since it's still under warranty, and they got back to me to say that they couldn't order a new tuner since ESP have stopped using them, but could I send them the tuner and let them fix it?

The shop is a long way away so I would like to avoid driving there if possible. However, I have no idea how to remove a guitar tuner, and it's not really very obvious. There's a kind of bolt type thing on the front of the tuner, I might have to turn that to detach it, but I just don't know, and I don't want to make it even worse.

Advice please?
Could you talk more about why it's not locking? As in probable causes as to it's failure, not just "it doesn't do what it's supposed to"?

To take the tuner off, get a socket wrench and the socket that matches that "bolt type thing" on the top, and unscrew it. Then, there should be a tiny screw on the back of the tuner on the back of the headstock. Unscrew that with a small screwdriver and the tuner will slide right out. Good luck!
I have no idea why it's not locking. I've been told these things are built to last, and that I must have been very unlucky to get one that broke the first time I changed a string. I don't think it was anything I did that broke it.

Basically it seems that the ball bearing or pin or whatever's in there that's moved when you turn the wheel at the back, isn't being moved. You can put a string in, screw in the wheel, pull the string out again. There also seems to be some kind of spring in the little hole as well, it could be something else, but there's definitely something in there.

OK, I'll try unscrewing the bolt and the screw at the back.
Thanks for the help, I really didn't want to make any mistakes :P
if worst comes to worst, would it be possible to just string it like a normal tuner and not lock the string in?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Yeah I think that would have been possible, but that string would have gone out of tune much more easily than the others. But I've got my old guitar, so I may as well get it fixed as soon as I can.

I did what lumberjack said and the tuner came off easily
I'll send it off tomorrow, hopefully this won't take TOO long.

thanks for the help