hey im having a little issue with one of the volume pots on my les paul. i have EMGs in this guitar, and i have everythign wired perfectly. but recently, when i turn the bridge pickups volume knob, at certain points the volume will cut out and sort of fizzle back in and out with small manipulations of the knob. could this be that the pot is dirty or something, and if it is, how do i clean it. if not, could it jsut be that the pot is going bad? thanks in advance
NOPE
If it's cutting out, you may just want to go ahead and replace it.
Pots are cheap, and would give you a reason to learn how to solder and work on your own guitar (if you don't already).
Quote by Invader Jim
Dirty pot. You can clean it with some electrical contact cleaner, but you might as well get a new one, since this could be a sign of wearing out.

My bass amp did this. It started up 6 months after I cleaned it and it works fine again.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
1. it may be a dirty pot. go buy this stuff
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700 i just cleaned all of the pots on my guitar yesterday and they actually sound BETTER than new!!! OMG!
2. the label on the can is a little different. the can now has a dark grey panel. but its the same stuff
3. also it could be a bad solder joint somewhere?
4. you're going to be taking the electronics out anyway, so you'll notice a bad solder joint
or it could be a broken wire somewhere. unless its a problem with the pickup itself (probably isn't), you'll be able to do all the repair/replacement yourself
i just enumerated every possible issue it could be. referencing the initial cause of the problem being your turning of the volume knob
good luck and have fun!!!
Last edited by sethp at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by sethp
i just cleaned all of the pots on my guitar yesterday and they actually sound BETTER than new!!! OMG!

there wouldn't be any noticable tone difference, if any.
basic rule of thumb:
when you have to clean a pot, clean them all.
if they start to get noisy soon, replace them.

you can't get cleaners with freon 113 (trichlorotrifluoroethane) these days, so the cleaners are not all that effective. don't expect miracles.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
basic rule of thumb:
when you have to clean a pot, clean them all.
if they start to get noisy soon, replace them.

you can't get cleaners with freon 113 (trichlorotrifluoroethane) these days, so the cleaners are not all that effective. don't expect miracles.

Yeah but at least it won't add to global what ever people are calling it days... what warming? Condition? What ever.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel