im getting sick of changing the tubes in my amp amp and im looking for a decently priced ss combo that does metal

MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
why? how often do you change your tubes?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Yeah, what a pain, changing tubes every few years is an extraordinary burden

What's your budget? You only playing metal? You gigging?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You shouldnt have to change your tubes evreyyear, even if you play quite alot but are carefull with your amo, you could easily get 3-6years out of a set, of course tone would deterate a bit, but what crowd wuill actually notice, if you have them set up evreyyear, and biased rpoperly evreyyear theyll last. i dont see how you can get through tubes that quick.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Jhachey22
why? how often do you change your tubes?

power tubes= twice

pre amp tubes= once
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
Quote by masterbuild
power tubes= twice

pre amp tubes= once

per year? or ever?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Once and Twice? in the amps lifetime or a year? changing tubes is not that bad. if you are tired of them, i'll trade you my SS amp for your Marshall JTM
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
While I think you're an idiot, you know what you want better than I do.

What's your exact budget? Look for Peavey Bandits, any Randall SS, Ampeg SS140Cs.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Jhachey22
Once and Twice? in the amps lifetime or a year? changing tubes is not that bad. if you are tired of them, i'll trade you my SS amp for your Marshall JTM

since i got it

2 years ago

i think its cause my drummer leaves my amp on when i leave band practise lol
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
should i just buy a pod ? cause my amp aint giving my metal tones
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
I am going to be hated for saying this, but if your amp isn't doing the metal tones you want but you don't want to sell it, a distortion pedal might be what you want.

Especially if you want that old school thrash tone (ProCo Rat, although look for a used one). Boss HM-2/3s are also great and pop up on eBay all the time.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
In two years you've had a total of 3 tube changes and you're sick of it?

Quote by shadow__666
I am going to be hated for saying this, but if your amp isn't doing the metal tones you want but you don't want to sell it, a distortion pedal might be what you want.

Especially if you want that old school thrash tone (ProCo Rat, although look for a used one). Boss HM-2/3s are also great and pop up on eBay all the time.

A boss Super Overdrive would probably be better for old school tones. Distortion pedals are better for more extreme metal.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Mar 13, 2009,
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. Again, you really just need to get them biased once per year, and they will last you a good while. Also, not leaving you amp on when you're not playing helps Duhh. But if you don't let it warm up on standby for a few minutes before playing, that will also eat tubes.

But if you are still not convinced, I'll gladly trade you my 65W Fender Frontman SS amp for your tube amp. That way you'll NEVER have to worry about horrid things like changing your tubes every few years. I just could be your lifesaver then
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Last edited by Zakkcd at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Jesstaa

A boss Super Overdrive would probably be better for old school tones. Distortion pedals are better for more extreme metal.

I always rec a Rat for thrash tones because of Metallica. If I remember correctly, Dave even continued using them in the early days of Megadeth.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Zakkcd
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. Again, you really just need to get them biased once per year, and they will last you a good while. Also, not leaving you amp on when you're not playing helps Duhh. But if you don't let it warm up on standby for a few minutes before playing, that will also eat tubes.

But if you are still not convinced, I'll gladly trade you my 65W Fender Frontman SS amp for your tube amp. That way you'll NEVER have to worry about horrid things like changing your tubes every few years. I just could be your lifesaver then

in typical UG style this thread has turned into a owning session
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
Quote by masterbuild

We couldn't have it any other way.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by masterbuild

basically. But think about what people have said. You really should keep your tube amp and go for a decent OD or distortion pedal. EHX Metal Muff I swear is perfect for you. For OD, I'm not exactly the UG expert, but Ibanez TS9 or 808 would more than likely work to give just that extra bit of bite
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

Most peoples Preamp tubes mlast a hella long time, so i think you just felt like changing them rather then needing to, and why get a tube amp in the first place, it s on of those things that comes with amps, maintanence, you must have none. And &150 over 3 years isnt a huge amount.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by masterbuild

We're all just saying you have your hands on a really good amp, so why downgrade.

i know everyone has a different opinion, but the general consensus seems to be that you have a good amp, and that moving to a SS amp would be a HUGE downgrade. If you want more metal tones, Get a good Overdrive or Distortion, like a Keeley TS9 or an OCD.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jesstaa
We couldn't have it any other way.

agreed lol but i spend 200 on the amp and ive spend 400 on JJ tubes which is sickening lol
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
You were ripped off like, what im presuming its 60 watts, if i owned a ampeg cl, 300 watts it would only cost me 150 for power tubes, and then i would learn hoew to setup myself from a guy i know,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by masterbuild
agreed lol but i spend 200 on the amp and ive spend 400 on JJ tubes which is sickening lol

Great tone quality isn't cheap. D=

Btw, which Cort VX have you got?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by masterbuild

Dude. $200 was an amazing price, so $400 for tubes may seem over the top, but if you attempt to make them last, you will have an amazing amp, less $$$ spent on tubes, and more dollars for a good pedal. I really would stick with it if I were you, as everyone else here also has the exact same opinion

Quote by Zakkcd
Dude. $200 was an amazing price, so $400 for tubes may seem over the top, but if you attempt to make them last, you will have an amazing amp, less $$$ spent on tubes, and more dollars for a good pedal. I really would stick with it if I were you, as everyone else here also has the exact same opinion

yeah ill keep it so lol

recommend me a good pedal for metal?/
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
HOW HAVE YOU ALREADY SPENT 400$ ON TUBES?

Did you buy another tube amp and swiped the tubes from it?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by masterbuild
yeah ill keep it so lol

recommend me a good pedal for metal?/

I have a boss rip-off Super Overdrive (sounds about as good), it's by PSK. Mines just a little noisy, but it gives me sweet as tones.

But there's probably much better pedals around. Like the tubescreamer, or that Seymour Duncan twin tube mayhem sounds pretty good.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo