Yeah its me again, bet you're all getting sick of my questions but I haven't got a clue (like usual). I'm not a very good guitarist as you may have already guessed due to my nagging but I want to improve. I can play any chord that I have come across so far (not many but I can play chords like B) but I find it hard to chord change. I was wondering should I learn some scales to improve my playing? If you could give me some scales to learn or a website for me to learn them I will be very thankful.
Anyway, Thanks
Last edited by Fieryhead at Mar 13, 2009,
Learn most of your open chords and be able tos witch between all of them, then worry about scales...make sure you can play some tabs that you find, and once you get a few tabs down then start on scales...because what are you going to do w/ a scale that you don't know how to play in a solo, etc???
Gear:
Alvarez Classical Guitar(don't know much about it).
Yamaha FG730S
Agile AL-2000 Black Cherry
Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo
^ ^ wat he said. practice open chords and 7-chords. You sure learn the CAGED method which will show u the different chord... fingerplacement...?? (couldnt think of right term). definitely google search that. i would learn ur basic pentatonic scale patterns first in Am then move them around. for open-type stuff learn ur E phryggian scale. its good stuff. harmonic minor is wicked sick sounding. just see wat others post, do some google searches and tab searching and u get there.
it takes time and practice its, like anything eles it takes time beside learning the b chord and any other chord you must sound fluind in you ghord progresion this is wwhat takes time try ussing a metrodome for your timming if that drives you nut,s try countting the beats in your head but you will succeed
What I don't get is, once I've memorised all these scales what do I do with them? and where I can find scales arranged for finger picking?
your scales are the most imp. part of playing, you can use your finggers or a pick , rock to classical all finger pick use your nails as well as a pick it opens a whole new world of playing, theres all kinds of help in u.g. to use your scales to chord progessions
Quote by zorbozate
your scales are the most imp. part of playing, you can use your finggers or a pick , rock to classical all finger pick use your nails as well as a pick it opens a whole new world of playing, theres all kinds of help in u.g. to use your scales to chord progessions

Okay i didnt understand this at all.

Iv'e only recently learnt baout scales too mate.

Scales, i think, Are just a bunch of notes that work well together, so we use them when soloing and making riffs. We also make chords out of scales.

I THINK To make a major chord we take we take 1 3 5th notes of the realative scale.
to make a minor we take the 1 b3 and 5th note of the scale....

I'll delete this if a more experianced player tells me otherwise.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Okay i didnt understand this at all.

Iv'e only recently learnt baout scales too mate.

Scales, i think, Are just a bunch of notes that work well together, so we use them when soloing and making riffs. We also make chords out of scales.

I THINK To make a major chord we take we take 1 3 5th notes of the realative scale.
to make a minor we take the 1 b3 and 5th note of the scale....

I'll delete this if a more experianced player tells me otherwise.

Ah see I get that, so we learn scales in order to understand the relationship between notes? what confuses me are terms are like "ascend in 3rds" and so on.
Quote by Sarissa
Ah see I get that, so we learn scales in order to understand the relationship between notes? what confuses me are terms are like "ascend in 3rds" and so on.

Basically you got it mate, scales are just notes that gel well together, so to write a riff we start with a scale and work form there.
Like, you know you probably attempted to write a song and it just hasn't worked? I know i had before scales(and after for that mater)., thats because music has rules and patterns, these are scales.

It's like a musical alphabet i guess.

As for ascending in thirds, i think i'll stick around in this thread to find out what that means too.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Mar 14, 2009,
to start with any scale which you say sound so nice and or shall i dare say gell is where you get your other scales. so start delletting!!!!!!!!
Quote by zorbozate
to start with any scale which you say sound so nice and or shall i dare say gell is where you get your other scales. so start delletting!!!!!!!!

At least i don't have to worry about TS getting the wrong information from you.
No one could possibly understand what your saying.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
i guess youv,e had to much mushroom,s and listening to garbage you woul,dnt know a 5 th from a 7th never mind a major
Quote by zorbozate
i guess youv,e had to much mushroom,s and listening to garbage you woul,dnt know a 5 th from a 7th never mind a major

Hey, some people really like the band Garbage.

And what the hell are you talking about?
i appolagise if i named a bands name which in this case it,s garbage i did not mean any insult to the band
Quote by zorbozate

Knowing the difference between a 5th and a 7th isn't rocket science, infact, i'd say it was as easy as telling the difference between a comma and and an apostrophe.

Ahh dude, I'm not going to argue with you . I hardly have too, you make yourself look silly without my help.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Sarissa

To understand scales, you must first understand intervals, (ex: The 3rd of E is G#, the 3rd of G# is C) Ascend in thirds is just telling you how to play up the neck, so if you are starting on E, it would be E, G#,C, and E octave. Basically, a major third is two whole steps or 4 half steps.

I suggest for you to learn a bit about intervals before you start scales. AND most importantly learn the notes of the scale don't just memorize patterns.
Last edited by Viking_Panda at Mar 15, 2009,
must.... confuse...... new... guitarists....... cant... fight... it......

*Ahem* To understand scales, you must understand Semi-tones/intervals/steps(all mean the same thing)

There 12 notes, 13 if you count the octave:
C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb - E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab - A - A#/Bb - B - C

C#= Db, for all practical intents and purposes

From C to C#, thats one semi-tone/half step, same thing from E to F, or F to G#

A Scale is a combination of 7/8 of those(again depending on if you count the octave) 12 notes which makes harmonic sense, and each type of scale has its own formula

Lets take C Major, the most basic scale. It consists of: (-- is whole step, - is half step)
C -- D -- E - F -- G -- A -- B - C

With this we can understand that the formula for the C major scale, and therefore ALL Major scales is this:
Root note (C), whole-step or 2 semi-tones (to D), whole-step (to E), half-step (to F), whole-step (to G), whole-step (to A), whole-step (to B), half-step (to the octave, or C)

So if you want to figure out a G# Major scale, you would just apply the same Major scale formula, only this time the root is G#
G# -- A# -- C - C# -- D# -- F -- G - G#

There are abunch of other scales, with a bunch of other formulas, so just start with a few and work your way up. (I recomend Major and Minor to start, since a lot of stuff is based off of those)

Try to do some research on Modes when you feel like really crunching into this stuff
Last edited by Sootinior at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Sootinior
must.... confuse...... new... guitarists....... cant... fight... it......

*Ahem* To understand scales, you must understand Semi-tones/intervals/steps(all mean the same thing)

There 12 notes, 13 if you count the octave:
C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb - E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab - A - A#/Bb - B - C

C#= Db, for all practical intents and purposes

From C to C#, thats one semi-tone/half step, same thing from E to F, or F to G#

A Scale is a combination of 7/8 of those(again depending on if you count the octave) 12 notes which makes harmonic sense, and each type of scale has its own formula

Lets take C Major, the most basic scale. It consists of: (-- is whole step, - is half step)
C -- D -- E - F -- G -- A -- B - C

With this we can understand that the formula for the C major scale, and therefore ALL Major scales is this:
Root note (C), whole-step or 2 semi-tones (to D), whole-step (to E), half-step (to F), whole-step (to G), whole-step (to A), whole-step (to B), half-step (to the octave, or C)

So if you want to figure out a G# Major scale, you would just apply the same Major scale formula, only this time the root is G#
G# -- A# -- C - C# -- D# -- F -- G - G#

There are abunch of other scales, with a bunch of other formulas, so just start with a few and work your way up. (I recomend Major and Minor to start, since a lot of stuff is based off of those)

Try to do some research on Modes when you feel like really crunching into this stuff

rofl wow.. thats gone over my head lmao!
tell me what doesnt make sense, and Ill try to explain better.

But yeah, once you get past the basic music theory stuff, it gets easier.

Also, you should probably check some of the other topics on these boards on theory, some are really helpful
hi how are you i,ve read your responces it,s only as complacated as you make it just play and have fun with what you can create dont take it so seriously have fun
would quote Sootinoir but then this would be freakishly long.

also instead of using whole step-whole step-half step-w-w-w-h, u can use the arrangement F-C-G-D-A-E-B (mnemonic, five college guys drink at eddy's bar.) now C has no sharps and no flats, if u move on, G has one sharp, which is F, the start of the sequence. D has 2 sharps, F and C, so on and so forth. go in reverse, F has one flat which is B. B can be taken as having two flats which are B and E. I haven't used this in a while so I might have screwed this whole idea over.

Other modes coincide with a regular major scale. the formula is the same tho starts on a different note. like Major is W-W-h-W-W-W-h, dorian in the same key (like c major and d dorian include all the same notes) is W-h-W-W-W-h-W, phrygian in same key as c major would be E, and would be h-W-W-W-h-W-W-h-W and so on in the order of Ionian (aka the well known Major scale), Dorian,Phryggian, Lydian, Mixolydian, aelion (aka Relative Minor), and Locraine. these are the modes based off of steps. i dont feel like writing out which intervals are flat or diminished to coincide so u have to find an article or something. but i will say that relative minor is 1-2-flat 3- 4 -5- flat 6- flat 7 and Harmonic minor is 1-2-flat3-4-5-flat6-7 which is unique because of the one and a half stretch between the 6 and 7.

:P hope this helps lol, but u should hire an instructor or ask urs to go over the general music theory concepts.
Didn't have time too read all the post, but when I first started playing, my instructor had me keep on the basic A,B,C etc chords, which can all be played within the first 4 frets. Tom Petty "Last Dance with Maryjane" is a great song to practice basic chords, if you haven't already gotten that one.
Practice scales as well, but they haven't helped me with fast chord switching I guess, just lots of practice often to get that coordination. Keep it up, you'll get it, and won't be able to stop playing.
Last edited by Sick Man at Mar 21, 2009,