ok, so me and my band have been asked to play at a party in a couple of months i think. We are typically a metal/ alternative/ classic rock type band. I dont really know how many songs to play or how long to play or whatever, so it would help if yall would just like throw in some helpful advice bout how to go along that nite, a sort of guidline i guess you could say. just like advice on like what to watch out for and what to do to really woo them or something, just helpful info. Thx.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Last edited by Tojo62 at Mar 13, 2009,
First off, just enjoy yourselves, second, know your crowd, if all the people at the party is mainstream poppers, i don't think they would appreciate metal. But just do your thing, have fun and bring the thunder!
yeah listen to rodeo also if ppl r drinking b cautious of equiptment bc my friends band played at a party i attended one time and even though the crowd loved the gig they were rele drunk nd started chucking beer bottles up onto the stage and messed up the guitar players amp nd almost put the drummer into the hospital
I pressed her thigh and death smiled

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
-John Lennon
yeah, know your audience. you always run the risk of getting your gear trashed at a house party, so be mindful of where your gear is and who's around it as much as you can. also, be prepared to sweet-talk the cops if there's a noise complaint.
learn a ****load of randomn songs, like macarena, YMCA, stuff thats fun to dance to. well, that's if people are really drunk... haha
~Carl
ya, theres most likley gonna be quite a lot of drinkin, haha. but ya there people who we are playing for is a bunch of like 40 year old people. So not quite our preferred age, but hey its a gig, hehe. and its at there house out on the back porch, so ya
Well seeing how you dont have any valuable, or high priced guitars, I could worry about it that much.Bring the Epi, and mabie the vyper? I dont know how loud it would be.But it'd be safe to learn 2 or 3 of each style of song. somthing popluar too, that you just cant say no to.Sweet child, crazy train, smoke on the water, Iron man, walk, one, fade to black, Stuff that they will know.
i was thinkin the half stack instead of the vyper
Make sure that you ask the party host what kind of music he wants played.
Also, if you're going to use the half-stack, make sure that it's not too loud lol.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
ok, and also, what do i do as far as setlists and all that. like how long do i play, or how many songs should we play, stuff like that. just learn as many songs as possible or what?
if they are in their 40ies. Try some Sabbath, Zeppelin, AC/DC and various old heavy-groups.. I don't know about your country, but back here, that's what most 40 year olds loves xD
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Yeah, stick with the classics and do as many as you can. Come on a bit late but not badly so and if its working, play them for an encore. You might play 2 x 1 hour sets but no more than that. Its handy to have a simple exit route so you don't get lumbered with waiting around to break down. There is the road of impromptu late songs that will fail. (how do I know this stuff?)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

You should definitly learn some Sublime, Pepper, Slightly Stoopid, or any band that is similar. And I think Happy Hour Hero by moe. would be right up your ally. One very important thing... don't get trashed!! haha. It's a simple rule but sometimes difficult, have a few beers before/during maybe, but wait until you're done playing to get hammered. Also, I would reccomend getting your equipment out of there as soon as your done playing and you can come back to party if you want.
Im only 13 so i doubt ill be doing any drinking that night, hehe
a house party? thats mad, will probably get stopped lol
it'll be like metallica's whisky in a jar video, maybe you should do that song
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A