how do u go about learning piano? would u like write the notes on the keys or tape something on there, because right now i've just been hitting a bunch of white keys and saying im in c major(that much i no)

EDIT: sorry, this is probably to goofy to be in musician talk
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
A B C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E F G

All the way until the end note C....

It's really really easy to figure out.

Black keys are sharps/flats.

Flats will always be left, sharps will always be right (A# is always right to A)

Flats and Sharps.
Left and Right.

And to be honest, you may be in A minor

I would also highly suggest a teacher, a metronome, and a practice book.

Take a look at how the black notes are arranged. In 2's and 3's. Look at the white keys and find C.

"Middle C" is generally below the brand name on the piano.

Learn how to read sheet music if you don't already. Know it like the back of your hand.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Mar 13, 2009,
It's common practice to write the letters on the keys, but make sure the pen you use comes off

Don't try and directly transpose everything, piano is more by ear than guitar is. Just think of a guitar tune, find the root note, and then try and play the melody. Once you've got that down, try adding some bass. You'll be at it in no time.

EDIT: ^To the guy above, it starts at C
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Quote by MrToucan
It's common practice to write the letters on the keys, but make sure the pen you use comes off

Don't try and directly transpose everything, piano is more by ear than guitar is. Just think of a guitar tune, find the root note, and then try and play the melody. Once you've got that down, try adding some bass. You'll be at it in no time.

EDIT: ^To the guy above, it starts at C

Most pianos go:
A0 to C8

Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Most pianos go:
A0 to C8

Really? I'll be damned...
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Quote by MrToucan
Really? I'll be damned...

Yep.

Certain manufacturers do in fact extend it, but the majority of pianos start at A and end at C.

multiple people+wikipedia+piano teacher+a bit of research (non-wiki)

It's okay though, before I took piano lessons I thought it started and ended on C as well.

Also, back to the OP/TS

I really do reccommend a teacher. I tried to be self-taught, and besides the music theory I know, I didn't really get far. I could play a few basic tunes, but when you're playing bass and treble at the same time off sheet music in 3/4 time signature... you have to be really dedicated to just "get it". Also its always best to have a teacher if able.

I picked up a part time job just to pay for my piano lessons. ($50 a month, 30 minute lessons, I get the "family friend discount". It's normally $70 a month)

Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Mar 13, 2009,
I would get a teacher honestly. Practice reading sheet music also. Middle C on the piano shares the same pitch as the first fret of the B string or Fifth fret of the G string.